WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Hanging food in a shelter does not attract mice. Eating at a shelter does attract mice; and I don't mean eating in a shelter, just eating at the picnic table is what attracts the mice.

Also, the shelter itself attracts them, because it's shelter; in the same way coral reef (or man-made reef) attracts many organisms as opposed to barren sandy bottom, because it provides shelter.

If you notice food hung in shelters isn't stolen by mice, provided one uses a mouse guard and doesn't place a bag against a beam. However, leave some food in your pack and I guarantee it'll be gone in the morning.
    The mice are already there. It is their home. The idea of attracting them is moot. They are hungry little acrobats who defeat mouse guards on a daily basis. I've watched it happen enough times that I won't expose my food to them again. hyoh

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Anyone ever get any grief about cooking and eating on the shelter floor -- aka kitchen prep area?
    No, I haven't, but the new shelters in the Smokey's have been built with a seperate food prep/eating bench area... it's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    A shelter is likely to be the one place with the highest concentration of wild animals trying to get into your food. Add to that the threat of disrespectful hikers messing with it and one quickly concludes that a shelter is the last place one might want to leave unattended food. What am I missing here.
    shelters are for newbies, scardy cats and lazy types. tear 'em down

Mice will also be at shelters, regardless of food, because the humans scare away their predators like snakes and foxes.

The food doesn't help but they aren't going anywhere even with the most perfectly hung food and no spills.

Not going to read the entire thread but I agree with the OP. You shouldn't be hanging your food unattended in a shelter for someone else to take responsibility Find a tree or sleep with it in your tent.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Lone wolf you are WAY off base....... If shelters were for scary cats then there wouldn't be mice, there would be fat scardy cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf:1389861
    A shelter is likely to be the one place with the highest concentration of wild animals trying to get into your food. Add to that the threat of disrespectful hikers messing with it and one quickly concludes that a shelter is the last place one might want to leave unattended food. What am I missing here.
    I hate it when your right. Shelters are really kind of silly when your "camping".

Quote Originally Posted by mcstick View Post
    You will not be touching my food pal.

Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Hanging food in a shelter does not attract mice. Eating at a shelter does attract mice; and I don't mean eating in a shelter, just eating at the picnic table is what attracts the mice.

Also, the shelter itself attracts them, because it's shelter; in the same way coral reef (or man-made reef) attracts many organisms as opposed to barren sandy bottom, because it provides shelter.

If you notice food hung in shelters isn't stolen by mice, provided one uses a mouse guard and doesn't place a bag against a beam. However, leave some food in your pack and I guarantee it'll be gone in the morning.
    Mice are every where. I've camped well off the trail along the ridge and had mice trying to get in my tent.

Don't forget to add they are helpful in getting a break from bad weather, a place to tell where you are on the trail. (trail marker) A place to "camel up" on water, have social interactions & even build a warm fire in a fire ring if u want too. It's kinda like a home away from home for some people. They are a "welcome sight" for some, after putting down some big miles. Just givin u a lil support buddy! You can still wish that they would all be torn down but I thought you may have missed some reasons they exist.
    Last edited by HikerMom58; 01-09-2013 at 21:19.

Quote Originally Posted by mcstick View Post
    You will not be touching my food pal.
    Then take responsibility for it. If you're not willing to be there protecting it why should anyone else?

Would say Amen.... but then I,d have to share the wide open elbow room with em.

You pretty much have it summed up, but I would add a few things.
    Some hikers think it is okay to tell other hikers what to do.
    Some hikers don't know how to hang a bear bag.
    Some hikers think a bear can jump 15' to get said bear bag.
    Some hikers are too lazy to hang a bear bag.
    Some hikers don't care if bears get human food and see no problem with that.
    This hiker will be sleeping in his bivy, under his tarp, away from said lazy hikers, and hanging a bear bag.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Don't forget to add they are helpful in getting a break from bad weather, a place to tell where you are on the trail. (trail marker) A place to "camel up" on water, have social interactions & even build a warm fire in a fire ring if u want too. It's kinda like a home away from home for some people. They are a "welcome sight" for some, after putting down some big miles. Just givin u a lil support buddy! You can still wish that they would all be torn down but I thought you may have missed some reasons they exist.
    those reasons are invalid. they're crutches

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Just givin u a lil support buddy! You can still wish that they would all be torn down but I thought you may have missed some reasons they exist.

He can rant and rave, wish all he wants and others can agree, but it's not going to happen. On a trail as crowded as the AT they lessen impact.

Shelters aggregate mice and people. Good for the trail. Good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    On a trail as crowded as the AT they lessen impact.
    nah. don't agree

Images

He can rant and rave, wish all he wants and others can agree, but it's not going to happen. On a trail as crowded as the AT they lessen impact.
    i agree.i prefer to tent anyway, but they also provide a destination point.i generally keep track of where i am in relation to shelters and campsites.ironically when i was in maine last year it was much harder to find tent space than shelter space.seems like everyones already learned a shelter is a lousy place to sleep

Images

Then take responsibility for it. If you're not willing to be there protecting it why should anyone else?
    So does that mean its okay to mess with it or stash it somewhere without telling the owner?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    So does that mean its okay to mess with it or stash it somewhere without telling the owner?
    You tell me. What if he hung it directory over, or next to your tent, and then set up his tent 100 feet away?

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++