WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    "Friends don't let friends sleep in shelters."

especially if it's raining and there's only one space left and both of you are eyeing it
    Our forefathers would laugh their asses off at the wussyness of current outdoorsmen and outdoorswomen!

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

I don't hang my food bag in shelters, but that's because I think it is still vulnerable to mice, not because I worry that somebody is going to get righteously bent about it. I wonder what other unwritten rules the OP has that will set off his "shelter rage?" I hope I don't accidentally cross him and wake up to find my stuff trashed.
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    It's funny, I've had trouble with people hanging food at shelters on the Internet, but I've never experienced any problems while hiking in real life.
    This is hilarious.............

Hiking in real life.....it matters! True dat!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Our forefathers would laugh their asses off at the wussyness of current outdoorsmen and outdoorswomen!
    Laughing asses off... yeah we got that covered!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXZ0fWkAghA

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Laughing asses off... yeah we got that covered!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXZ0fWkAghA
    Silly model should have hung her heals inside the shelter!

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Chief View Post
    Well, all that you mention can happen if you choose to use a shelter on a weekend or long holliday, but I find that there are plenty of sections of the AT you can hike at the right times and not encounter very many people at all. On my last three sections hikes in Va. my hiking partner(s) and I rarely shared a shelter with anyone. We did avoid the shelters on Friday or Saturday nights. I've used a tarp in Va during August and was rewarded with Lyme Disease so health risks are out there no matter what you use for shelter. Twelve years ago hikers used the hanging devices in shelters right from the start and no one was stabbed, shot, or sodomized for doing so. Never saw any hiker brave enough to throw someone's food bag away just because they might have pitched their tent 20 or 30 feet from the shelter and had the audacity to hang their food bag with all the others. At that time the first and only bear cables we encountered before the Smokies was at Low Gap Shelter and everyone used them. Probably because there was a torn up backpack at the shelter and it scared us!
    I hear ya. For some reason, I read through this whole silly thing. The whole posturing on it really left me SMH... when it comes down to it, who really cares? I'm glad that the hikers I experienced on the AT were not like him.

On last years very fun Pa section hike, I threw my foodbag up on top of the Bake Oven Knob shelter while I tented 20 feet away. Did anyone care? Well, the only one sleeping in there was Roadside/IrishBastard, in fact he threw his foodbag up on there too. And previously I had hung my food in the Eckville shelter the night before, while I tented across the street. No one gave a crap.

So yea, "WHO CARES" is my mantra here. I truly can't believe that A.) Mr Coffee stirred the pot about this the way he did for such a petty subject, and B.) that this post has gotten SO many replies.

I know this horse has been beaten to death, but man, we're talking about a very SMALL percentage of hikers who would have a problem with this... and for why, I still don't truly know... even after painfully reading all these replies.
    We are all one big human family.

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    Depends...
    Just responding to say that I "got" it.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

am i reading this correctly? this guy is saying he's going to take someones food and hide it somewhere in the woods?

that's a good way to wake up dead...
    steep grade, sharp curve - ymsb

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by marylandmymaryland View Post
    am i reading this correctly? this guy is saying he's going to take someones food and hide it somewhere in the woods?that's a good way to wake up dead...
    I've heard that if a person dies in their sleep, they won't realize it until they don't wake up the next morning ;-)
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by marylandmymaryland View Post
    am i reading this correctly? this guy is saying he's going to take someones food and hide it somewhere in the woods?

that's a good way to wake up dead...
    we are all going to wake up dead one day scooter, I don't spend much time being scared about

it. after all its just dying. Now bears and mice and hiker farts that's the things that keep me awake at night chewin my nails.

What a great read...

Sitting here in my sleeping bag... Wind blowing cold rain through the anchorage. Chilly for May, but the soft light of the oil lamp and ipad full of Internet "tough guys". Better then a cheap novel, but slightly less believable.

Thanks for the entertaining read!
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

I hang my food on Mouse strings every single time i sleep in a shelter, thats what there, their for.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailing_Faith View Post
    What a great read...

Sitting here in my sleeping bag... Wind blowing cold rain through the anchorage. Chilly for May, but the soft light of the oil lamp and ipad full of Internet "tough guys". Better then a cheap novel, but slightly less believable.

Hey; buddy, you askin' for a cyber knuckle sandwich? Huh?Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Sailing_Faith View Post
    What a great read...

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Hey; buddy, you askin' for a cyber knuckle sandwich? Huh?Huh?
    You forgot to say "land lover"

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffeect View Post
    we are all going to wake up dead one day scooter, I don't spend much time being scared about

it. after all its just dying. Now bears and mice and hiker farts that's the things that keep me awake at night chewin my nails.
    Maybe you should invest in a good Ol canvas tent and make yourself a nice shelter. I hung my food in shelters when I hiked. So did others. Get over yourself dude you don't rule the roost and more than likely never will. My items are mine for the taking NOT others. From the reading it seems as if your folks didn't raise you with manors or respect for others.

Don't like farts from hikers heck we smell without even farting.
    I don't know

Images

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralLee10 View Post
    Maybe you should invest in a good Ol canvas tent and make yourself a nice shelter. I hung my food in shelters when I hiked. So did others. Get over yourself dude you don't rule the roost and more than likely never will. My items are mine for the taking NOT others. From the reading it seems as if your folks didn't raise you with manors or respect for others.

Don't like farts from hikers heck we smell without even farting.
    my "folks" taught me that if you want respect, you better be prepared to earn it buddy. show me through your actions and attitude that you deserve my respect and i will freely and cheerfully treat you with the utmost of respect. far too many people nowadays feel that they are entitled to respect, but dont want do a damn thing to earn it. if someone is too lazy or inept to hang their food, that is not going to instill a deep respect for them in me.

I may be doing it wrong. I begin every meeting and every relationship with respect. Everyone has the ability to lose that respect in increments till it's gone.

Images

I don't confuse being polite to someone, with having respect for someone. there has been many times i have been polite to people I have absolutly no resect for. Im sure we all have been in that position,where we've had to grin and be polite. while the whole time your thinking what a tool. you may very well be thinking that about me. but if you come right out and tell me thats what you think of me at least i can respect you for being open and honest.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

duty_calls.png

​..........
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nat View Post
    I may be doing it wrong. I begin every meeting and every relationship with respect. Everyone has the ability to lose that respect in increments till it's gone.
    +1 on that.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
++ New Posts ++