Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 281
  1. #1
    Registered User mrcoffeect's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-02-2010
    Location
    Griswold,ct
    Age
    53
    Posts
    433
    Images
    7

    Default Etiquette for hanging food in shelters (Split from another shelter question)

    Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    Go to the Shelters part of this site and you should be able to find a picture for pretty much every one of them.

    For me shelters are good for hanging food and chatting up other hikers but I rarely sleep in any of them. As a primarily SOBO hiker I can trade intel about trail conditions and water sources.
    If I am sleeping in a shelter, i can guarantee that you won't be hanging your food in there. thats a no no

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    31,212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffeect View Post
    If I am sleeping in a shelter, i can guarantee that you won't be hanging your food in there. thats a no no
    why's that?

  3. #3
    Registered User mrcoffeect's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-02-2010
    Location
    Griswold,ct
    Age
    53
    Posts
    433
    Images
    7

    Default

    what makes someone think they are going to pitch a tent, and then leave their food hanging over my head?
    Im just the kinda guy to help you hang your food right over your tent.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    31,212

    Default

    what are you afraid of?

  5. #5
    Registered User mrcoffeect's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-02-2010
    Location
    Griswold,ct
    Age
    53
    Posts
    433
    Images
    7

    Default

    Nothing, I dont take uneeded risks therefore i have nothing to fear. Its only when you decide to do dumb things that you have to fear the consequences.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    31,212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffeect View Post
    Nothing, I dont take uneeded risks therefore i have nothing to fear. Its only when you decide to do dumb things that you have to fear the consequences.
    dude, folks been hangin' food bags on mouse strings in shelters on the AT for over 50 years. you worried about one falling on your head?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffeect View Post
    If I am sleeping in a shelter, i can guarantee that you won't be hanging your food in there. thats a no no
    Have you ever even seen a shelter? Your comments do make any sense.

  8. #8
    Registered User mrcoffeect's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-02-2010
    Location
    Griswold,ct
    Age
    53
    Posts
    433
    Images
    7

    Default

    yea and for fifty years mice have been eating the food that hangs on them, Ive watched them jump right on them. I always hang my food up high and away from the shelters. i use those stupid mouse hangers for hanging my shoes from. And i never lost even a single piece of granola to a rodent. Come to think of it i have never had hole chewed in any of my gear.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffeect View Post
    yea and for fifty years mice have been eating the food that hangs on them, Ive watched them jump right on them. I always hang my food up high and away from the shelters. i use those stupid mouse hangers for hanging my shoes from. And i never lost even a single piece of granola to a rodent. Come to think of it i have never had hole chewed in any of my gear.
    So what? Even if everything you say is true you're not the King of the shelter and you have absolutely no right to stop anyone from hanging their food there. Even if they choose to tent elsewhere.

  10. #10
    Registered User mrcoffeect's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-02-2010
    Location
    Griswold,ct
    Age
    53
    Posts
    433
    Images
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    So what? Even if everything you say is true you're not the King of the shelter and you have absolutely no right to stop anyone from hanging their food there. Even if they choose to tent elsewhere.
    i might not be king. but if someone at shelter is doing something stupid, that could put others at risk i will do something about it. if you want to be dumb do it at your own expense, not at the expence of others.
    i have zero tolerence for stupidity

  11. #11
    Registered User Papa D's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-23-2008
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,856
    Images
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Have you ever even seen a shelter? Your comments do make any sense.
    agree with this - - most people use mouse baffles - - I do a variety of things depending on circumstances

  12. #12
    ME => GA 19AT3 rickb's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-12-2002
    Location
    Marlboro, MA
    Posts
    7,036
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    What would you do?

    That is a serious question.

  13. #13
    Registered User mrcoffeect's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-02-2010
    Location
    Griswold,ct
    Age
    53
    Posts
    433
    Images
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    What would you do?

    That is a serious question.
    i might take that offending food bag for a walk and hang it my self. And depending on how i feel in the morning, maybe leave a map so the owner can find his food.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    31,212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffeect View Post
    i might not be king. but if someone at shelter is doing something stupid, that could put others at risk i will do something about it. if you want to be dumb do it at your own expense, not at the expence of others.
    i have zero tolerence for stupidity
    you're afraid of mice. weenie

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    05-26-2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,410
    Images
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffeect View Post
    i might take that offending food bag for a walk and hang it my self. And depending on how i feel in the morning, maybe leave a map so the owner can find his food.
    You ever hike down south? If you ever do, I can tell you messing with someone else's gear is not going to be well received (that is an understatement).

  16. #16
    Registered User mrcoffeect's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-02-2010
    Location
    Griswold,ct
    Age
    53
    Posts
    433
    Images
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    You ever hike down south? If you ever do, I can tell you messing with someone else's gear is not going to be well received (that is an understatement).
    Yes i have, more than once. and just this year i had it out with someone in tn, who wanted to hang a garbage bag full of six different peoples food in the shelter,while they went off to tent. bottom line they decided the shelter was not the place to hang food. I don't just talk the talk. i walk the walk.

  17. #17
    Registered User mrcoffeect's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-02-2010
    Location
    Griswold,ct
    Age
    53
    Posts
    433
    Images
    7

    Default

    If food was suppose to be hung in shelters, thats where they would put food cables. some folks just have all the common sense of half a rotton strawberry.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffeect View Post
    i might take that offending food bag for a walk and hang it my self. And depending on how i feel in the morning, maybe leave a map so the owner can find his food.
    Somebody might take you for a walk if you stole their food bag.

  19. #19
    Registered User mrcoffeect's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-02-2010
    Location
    Griswold,ct
    Age
    53
    Posts
    433
    Images
    7

    Default

    well then good thing id have their food bag. cause you try that, your gonna need to pack a lunch. cause its going to be a lot longer walk than you think.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-11-2005
    Location
    Gainesville, Florida
    Age
    66
    Posts
    7,159
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffeect View Post
    Yes i have, more than once. and just this year i had it out with someone in tn, who wanted to hang a garbage bag full of six different peoples food in the shelter,while they went off to tent. bottom line they decided the shelter was not the place to hang food. I don't just talk the talk. i walk the walk.

    If only everybody was just like you.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •