WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

An article in Boy's Life Magazine when I was 12 years old. It was called "Rattlers on the Appalachian Trail". We we're in Scouting at the time and the magazine was in the library. You couldn't check out magazines so we kept going back and reading it over and over. It was what started us out backpacking and camping on our own when we weren't involved with Scouting events. We had really small packs that we would put canned food wrapped up in our sleeping bags in, and we'd take turns carrying our tents in our hands. There would be 3 - 6 of us at any given time and we would sleep 2 to a tent when there was 4 or 6 of us and just squeeze 3 to a tent when there was 3 or 5. It was some of the best times in my life. We would pretend we were hiking the AT.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

Maybe 3 or 4 years ago, another hiker told me about it. Maybe showed me some pictures. And I said to myself, "self you are going to hike that trail someday" So I am.

keep calm and hike on dancingbear's Avatar

I watched the A. T. video by National Geographic on Netflix.
    I did the same thing after my teacher talked about the trail! I would bet that netflix documentary started lots of people off

I found an article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution early in 1970 about a thru hiker and his epic journey to Maine. I was just married and with a child on the way so I said to my wife ....someday I want to hike a section of that mountain trail. Well, the idea of such a journey never left my mind. I took my family on small weekend camping adventures with some near the trail. Someday took about twenty years to come but it did come. I bought almost all the wrong gear and took my external frame with a pack weight of 45lbs and headed for a section below Front Royal, VA. My knees burned for most of the first week and I was just about to think anyone who hike this trail must be crazy. The pain got better and a sense of wonder came over me, it was if this is where I belong. I could not wait for my next vacation so as to continue my journey. Each spring, I look forward to setting out and experiencing part or all of what the trail has to offer for the current hiking season. Hiking the AT weather a thru or section hike continues to give me the most remarkable wilderness adventure and outdoor education. swamp dawg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++