WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Ill go get mine tomorrow. See you on the trail. I leave the 17th

got mine today

I was just going to post about this! I'm going to attempt my first thru this spring and was wondering which book/books I need to bring. If I get AWOL's A.T. guide, do I also need the data book? Also, should I order the A.T. guide with the maps and mail-drop those to myself along the way?

Thanks - can't wait to get out there!!!

Images

Had the 2011 for my 2012 attempt - my Dad had the 2012 to follow my Trail Journal - slight discrepancies in mileage, etc. but nothing major. I had the data book as well at home, but chose to take only the parts of the AWAOL Guide I needed for each part. I took the maps for each section or three. The Guide matched well with the maps, in my opinion. He DID leave out almost every rock I tripped over, though.

I'm hoping he's still in business for 2016 - that and the AT maps are all I'm taking again.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Just perusing mine last night, I find there are about 5 extra miles sprinkled in, as compared to the mileage for the 2013 Data Book. Anyone know why there is a difference? I assumed that the ATC keeps track of the "official mileage"....does AWOL get his info from other sources?

Journal Entries
    Images

Ordered mine 4 days ago, it's arriving today, so if you didn't pre-register no big deal. This will make 3 guide books I have bought. Gotta stop doing that, also have 3 pair of boots, two tents, 2 pair of rain gear, I buy one, test it and see something else that may be better. If I don't make it all the way, I'm gonna have one hell of a sale on e-bay!

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMtn View Post
    I was just going to post about this! I'm going to attempt my first thru this spring and was wondering which book/books I need to bring. If I get AWOL's A.T. guide, do I also need the data book? Also, should I order the A.T. guide with the maps and mail-drop those to myself along the way?

Thanks - can't wait to get out there!!!
    Most people only use one, and no maps.
    I'd go with "The AT Guide" unbound and divide the pages into about one month (400 mile) segments. Have some send them as needed.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Author, Awol on the Appalachian Trail
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RiverSong View Post
    Just perusing mine last night, I find there are about 5 extra miles sprinkled in, as compared to the mileage for the 2013 Data Book. Anyone know why there is a difference? I assumed that the ATC keeps track of the "official mileage"....does AWOL get his info from other sources?
    I collect trail data independently and conform my results to match “official” ATC mileage. The total (2185.9) is the same in the 2013 Data Book and in The A.T. Guide 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Army Ant View Post
    Ordered mine 4 days ago, it's arriving today, so if you didn't pre-register no big deal. This will make 3 guide books I have bought. Gotta stop doing that, also have 3 pair of boots, two tents, 2 pair of rain gear, I buy one, test it and see something else that may be better. If I don't make it all the way, I'm gonna have one hell of a sale on e-bay!
    I'm with you Army. I have the same quantities of the same gear. Must be a hiker thing.

Tumbleweed

I ordered it 5 days ago, and it is here! Happy dance!

I ordered it along with the BMT book, and I am anxiously watching the USPS tracking! Hopefully it will be here Monday. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas but not knowing what day it will be! I love data accumulation, but unlike many of my books and electronic files I accumulate I plan to put it to use very soon.

**Thread Drift**

Bought Awol's audio book "AWOL on the Appalachian trail" for my ipod....and enjoying listening as I walk. have also read the book, it's a good one....shameless plug.

~we now return to our regularly schedule thread~

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Army Ant View Post
    Soldier, I see no reason to doubt your ability to be able to adapt and improvise to what comes your way..............................I carry 3 different rain coats in my car

Hi Maine bob;
    I retired as a nurse after 45 years. I will be heading north on Feb. 25th. Hope to see you both on the trail. Hermit

Quote Originally Posted by hermit View Post
    Hi Maine bob;
    I retired as a nurse after 45 years. I will be heading north on Feb. 25th. Hope to see you both on the trail. Hermit
    I think you are the 5th or 6th person from Maine I know who are hiking this year. I hope we get the opportunity to meet you. We are flying to Atlanta 3/20/13 and starting the trail 3/21/13.

Aw, man! No mail today! Which is ironic, because that makes the day seem much less like a holiday to me! Part of me wants to leave some of the planning up in the air, but the detail oriented part of me wants to come up with several backup plans for each day depending on how far along I am, with backup plans for all my backup plans. I think I finally realized why I'm no good at chess. I can never plan ahead to my satisfaction. I do like the thought of hopping the fence with a loaf of bread, some tea packets and an empty Gatorade bottle, but if the data is out there already I want to prepare.

I got mine last week from aol himself. He was giving a presentaton of his trip. Had him sign the katahdin page. Page 219. I hope I make it to that page!!!!

Images

I found your blog! Very excited for you guys - for me too! See you up there!

I should be getting my guide sometime this week. I'm also getting a new backpack (atmos 50), air pad, and rain cover in today! GAAAHHHHH, I think I'm stuck in some kind of time-space continuum at work...

The package was so small I thought the mail lady came without it. I was about to send her back to look for it. I got The A.T. Guide NOBO loose-leaf and the Benton MacKaye Trail Thru-Hikers' Guide. They look like they'll work nicely together. I plan on hiking the AT in several sections, possibly backtracking from Davenport Gap to Springer Mountain via the BMT for my first trip.

The books look concise, yet not cryptic from being too brief, and definitely not full of lengthy stories and such which would have made the books less appealing to me for the trip, not that such books wouldn't be nice before or after. I would recommend the two to anyone who is going to be hiking the trails. The AT Guide seems to be the most concise yet informative reference in existence, and I don't know if there are other such guides for the BMT, but I understand it's not at all difficult to get significantly lost on the BMT if you wing it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++