WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How do you handle the COLD wind while sweating?

So let say its cold, raining, and really windy, you just hike up a very steep mountain and you are sweating like crazy, then the wind starts blowing on your way down the other side of the mountian. How do you keep warm when you stop for a break or while hiking on a flat surface if your still soaked from sweat even though you have raingear on? Or what if its not raining and its just cold wind after you have been sweating for awhile? Thanks.

Images

I handle it poorly.

POPEYE

Well before you even step off, go to WALMART isle 7 or 10 and look for a can of man as well as a straw to "suck it up"

What I have done is keep a fleece handy to place on immediately when I remove my pack. I have been hiking in some very cold weather and found this to work for me. When ascending a hill, I generate tremendous heat. The fleece helps retain it while I rest.

You shouldn't be sweatin'.You are the thermostat. Open up when workin' hard, close up when not. For me, first thing to go is gloves, then hat, open up shell, remove insulation layer if necessary. Put everything back on immediately when stopping. Don't wait to get cold.

Don't sweat that much to start with.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Keep shedding layers as you climb. Until you are down to a t-shirt, there's no excuse to be sweaty. I've been out in a tshirt below freezing and been comfortable if I'm working hard.
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

Images

Layering is fundamental. Research moisture transport and the strategies for layering that promote of sweat away from the body and into outer layers where the heat from our body will aid in evaporating it and keeping you warm and drier.

Journal Entries
    Images

I agree with keeping your sweat to a minimum. I hiked Springer to NOC last January & Erwin to Hot Springs the Winter before & even though it was in the 20's & 30's I hiked in shorts & a a tech tee & a shell monitoring as I go. My Shell both zips & snaps & I snap it so air can get in while hiking & immediately put a tech fleece on & zip the shell when I stop.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

Proper base layers will keep you warm even when damp, as long as the wind is blocked. Wool is my choice, but polypro works as well, or silk. If you still aren't warm, keep moving or add a layer of insulation. I've hiked in Minnesota in rain/sleet/snow/wind with a light wool layer covered by a light polypro and then rain gear. As long as you only stop briefly, it's toasty warm. When you start getting chilled, move on.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Lots of good advice here on layering and start/stop moving. I sweat a lot, a lot a lot. Enough that in the winter I will sometimes go shirtless with just gloves on to keep from sweating. Sweat is the enemy of warmth as it should be and sweating when it's cold enough to matter is a no no, no matter what time of day. I wear a lightweight merino wool long john and top as base layer. In the morning when it's cold, I add on a fleece outer, gloves and a beanie. Once I get going, off comes the fleece outer and the beanie (unless the wind is really blowing). The merino wicks away the sweat as I go while keeping me toasty warm but if I really start to sweat, then off goes my top layer and I switch to a tech tee or shirtless.

Now for the rainy part. My poncho might as well be a greenhouse. So I wear no shirt on underneath since there's a little I can do to avoid sweating profusely. If I'm really hot, I'll even take off the merino bottoms and put on my running shorts. There have been times I was caught with summer gear only and it was rainy/cold. I kept my warm clothes dry for camp and just kept hiking to stay warm. Stops were brief enough to take care of business then back on the trail. If I was caught out in the rain with no rain shell, no pack or equipment and it was cold and windy, I would walk in circles if I had to, provided there was no way to stop, make shelter and fire.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Images

I'm in the "sweat like a pig" category, even stripped down to a base layer I'm soaking wet climbing that hill, no matter what the outside temperature. So, like leaftye, I handle it poorly. I do find a single layer UL wind shirt helps a lot to keep me warm when it's cold and windy.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    You shouldn't be sweatin'.You are the thermostat. Open up when workin' hard, close up when not. For me, first thing to go is gloves, then hat, open up shell, remove insulation layer if necessary. Put everything back on immediately when stopping. Don't wait to get cold.
    +1 Ditto. IMHO, this is absolutely correct: "You shouldn't be sweatin. You are the thermostat." I witness a great many hikers not knowing and/or applying this. Then, ignorance by the gear user is OFTEN blamed on gear manufacturers with statements like: "I found that such and such jacket isn't really breathable." IMHO, some, quite possibly the majority of, hikers don't know how to or DO NOT FULLY avail themselves of all their gear or venting options! Use those zippers, velcro closures, snaps, hoods, etc. They weren't just put their by the manufacturer for their looks. You are not a run away freight train. DO NOT hike like one. You have options. Use them. Adjust your pace, adjust your gear, and adjust and readjust your hiking style BEFORE BEFORE you start "sweatin like crazy!" I'm constantly doing these things and as SWJohnsey does I virtually always have hat, gloves, sunglasses, bandana, shell(wind/rain), multiple layers,etc I find, as a few TV Survivalist personalities have rightly detailed, it's a major no no to let yourself get sweaty under such cold conditions! Sets the stage for hypothermia. You can have a difficult time staying completely dry on trail in heavy prolonged rain but the sweating part you DEFINITELY have control over!

Images

Like bigcranky, I sweat. If it's cold, windy and raining, I'm pumping hard to generate body heat, but stripping down primarily so I don't soak all my clothes in sweat. Even stripped down to the base layers, I'll sweat, even if I'm quite cold.

I've expanded my rain gear to cover more of my skin to prevent direct heat loss from the rain. I have a bunch of things I could try, but I don't get all that many chances to hike in the freezing rain, and I'm not all that enthusiastic about doing gear testing in the freezing rain.

Even if I come up with the perfect system, I'm hard headed, and am more likely to hike myself into hypothermia than to put on enough clothing to stay warm while hiking.

So it's perfect hypothermia conditions. Wind, cold. You hike, you will get wet. The trick is that you can't stop hiking for any reason. If you stop, you will stop generating heat. You have your lunch on the move and keep going until you are done for the day. You are committed to keep going. Either get to a shelter or you quickly set up the tent and dive in, take off the wet things and put on some dry. Then get into the bag and stay there well beyond the point where the shaking stops. Been there...done that.... They don't make any magic clothing out there that makes it even possible to hike up and down mountains in conditions like this and stay dry. There is a reason why this is the chief killer on the trail.

I agree to not stop.
    If you are sweating THAT much, keep going and walk yourself dry with your wicking clothes on.
    Only change into your dry stuff when you hit camp (or a long lunch break)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

I am tempted to pick up a Klymit inflatable vest. Then my torso sweating won't be a problem. It won't be good when that sweat drips down and soaks my underwear though. Perhaps a sweat band belt?

Yep, the answer is not to stop. At least not until you can find a sheltered spot out of the wind. Then stop only long enough to catch your breath, grab a couple of bites of something and a sip of water. Then get moving again until you get to where you can camp for the night, get into some dry clothes and cook a hot dinner.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    This! Take off layers as necessary, when going up and put em back on going down. That being said, I'm comfortable in a merino crew and a wind jacket down to around 20 degrees or so. YMMV!
    Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time -- Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    So it's perfect hypothermia conditions. Wind, cold. You hike, you will get wet. The trick is that you can't stop hiking for any reason. If you stop, you will stop generating heat. You have your lunch on the move and keep going until you are done for the day. You are committed to keep going. Either get to a shelter or you quickly set up the tent and dive in, take off the wet things and put on some dry. Then get into the bag and stay there well beyond the point where the shaking stops. Been there...done that.... They don't make any magic clothing out there that makes it even possible to hike up and down mountains in conditions like this and stay dry. There is a reason why this is the chief killer on the trail.
    I went this very process described this past summer. Pouring rain and getttin cold, but just kept going till I made it the shelter and was able to change and get in sleeping bag. Believe me all of the Boy Scout First Aid traning about hypothermia was going through my head.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++