WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

Default First Graffiti of 2013?

Reading a journal on TJ, and a hiker proudly displays his name carved into a shelter. How do y'all feel about that?

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=398097
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

can't see it. but graffiti doesn't bother me none in shelters and privys and such.

WOOOOOOOW! That is so "manly". If only everbody could be like him.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

I don't get why some feel the need. Maybe compensating for something?

Images

It bothered the hell out of me when I first saw that post -- both the act itself, and the posting of the photo. It's bad enough to think it's OK to 'mark territory' despite the fact that it defaces the hard work of trail volunteers and ruins the view of hikers who might not be inclined to be beaten in the head with /your/ experience. That in itself is selfish and egotistical. But then to post the picture? Selfish, and bragging about it. Probably not somebody I'd be interested in having a conversation with.

the R is too small in relation to IFLE

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    the R is too small in relation to IFLE
    That's an indication of some kind of small "something" syndrome.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Leaving behind your "name" drives me nuts. I hate it. However, there is an awful lot of "grafiti" that I really do enjoy. I see it as "folk art". Where the line between the two is drawn Is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Images

Considering that i feel shelters are a blight on the trail anyway, i could care less. I expect people to cook in shelters, pee in shelters, have sex in shelters...so i can't imagine people NOT carving their names in them. We can want things all we want but the reality is... "If you build it, they will come...and do things other than just sleep in it".

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

I'll never understand people getting upset over things like this. Sure its wrong. Sure its stupid.

Sure it's even MORE stupid to complain about.

People have been carving their names into things as long as the knife has been around..... why do people think other people are going to get smart enough to NOT carve their name into things?

When I start to get mad I just remember that makes me even worse than the person that did it.

Live and let live.
    -Jason

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I guess if we didn't have shelters, then morons would carve their names in live trees. Nice of him to include lots of pictures in case the local sherriff is having a slow day.

The Cleaner better hide that shovel he just replaced at Jerry's Cabin Shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by MyName1sMud View Post
    I'll never understand people getting upset over things like this. Sure its wrong. Sure its stupid.

People have been carving their names into things as long as the knife has been around..... why do people think other people are going to get smart enough to NOT carve their name into things?

When I start to get mad I just remember that makes me even worse than the person that did it.

Live and let live.
    Sure some people are jerks and are going to do what they want regardless of what others think (and the damage to prorperty they do not own). But on the other hand perhaps some might read something like this and think twice about doing it.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by MyName1sMud:1393084

Live and let live.
    Caveman carving into stuff I understand, but we have this really cool invention called paper.

Looks like a nice, recently rebuilt shelter which hadn't been defiled much yet. Somebody had to start and encourge the next to come along to do the same.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

Hopefully..... I just dont understand the point of it.

I frequent a lot of different websites and I see people complaining about the carvings all the time. Sure I used to be one of the complainers.... then it hit me. I can't control what they do and no matter how much I cry/whine/stomp my feet.... they will never stop. Why waste my short time on Earth raising cane over something I can't control? I figured I'd just do something else with my time.

I trust others out there have done the same?
    -Jason

Quote Originally Posted by MyName1sMud:1393098
    Hopefully..... I just dont understand the point of it.

I frequent a lot of different websites and I see people complaining about the carvings all the time. Sure I used to be one of the complainers.... then it hit me. I can't control what they do and no matter how much I cry/whine/stomp my feet.... they will never stop. Why waste my short time on Earth raising cane over something I can't control? I figured I'd just do something else with my time.

I trust others out there have done the same?
    I only complain about things over the internet.

There are two main rules to hiking. Leave NO trace and HYOH. Only the wise will understand....

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    I only complain about things over the internet.
    That's what it is here for right?

-Jason

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++