WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Laugh until it hurts, then laugh at that :) adventurousmtnlvr's Avatar
    Images

Default Overweight and on the trail

It was proposed to me by a moderator no less, that overweight people are more likely to have chaffing and ??Monkey Butt (WB term certainly not mine, until yesterday I had no idea what that even was, lol) and that if overweight people would lose weight they wouldn't have those problems. I would be in a category of overweight due to medicine and medical problems. But I also work out daily, sometimes twice as well as roller-skate, dance and hike. I've never had either of those problems myself (yet) although I have read that "some" people do. So what are your thoughts in this matter?

Carry and use Body Glide if it is a concern.

Monkey butt and/or mud butt can occur at anytime to nearly anyone and is not dependent on total body weight, etc. This is my latest and most mature opinion.

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by adventurousmtnlvr View Post
    It was proposed to me by a moderator no less, that overweight people are more likely to have chaffing and ??Monkey Butt (WB term certainly not mine, until yesterday I had no idea what that even was, lol) and that if overweight people would lose weight they wouldn't have those problems. I would be in a category of overweight due to medicine and medical problems. But I also work out daily, sometimes twice as well as roller-skate, dance and hike. I've never had either of those problems myself (yet) although I have read that "some" people do. So what are your thoughts in this matter?
    There are a number of us that start on the trail more overweight then we would like. As we hike the weight adjust. That said i have friends who are NOT overweight that have had cases of M-Butt. Even thin people sweat. As for chaffing, thin people are less likely have chaffing from the legs rubbing against each other. Lucky them!!! If you are overwt but are still healthy enough and have a desire to hike just plan for the chaffing and carry whatever precautions or help you can for it.
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Images

. . . . . . . . .
    Last edited by Two Speed; 08-21-2008 at 16:01. Reason: Seemed like the thing to do

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

It is not so much Monkey butt, but what runners call "chub rub" that people who carry a little extra weight (does not take much) may experience.

(AS the link shows, even uber-athletes get it, too. Just more likely to happen if you are like most of us ordinary mortals )

A bit more problematic in running than hiking, but still something that my happen. Esp. in hot and humid conditions.

Body Glide, as suggested earlier, works really well.

Though a running site, this may be helpful as well:
    http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=mr050721lt
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

As a runner I can say for sure that chafing is bad, but what really takes the cake is the first time you finish a long run and then notice the two lines of blood dripping down your front after your shirt abraded the ends of both nipples off. Yikes!

Nip-Guards: Don't Leave Home Without Them!
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

I'm not fat and I got some swamp ass and chafage this summer.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
    Yet another use for duct tape! (I've had the bloody nipples thing..not fun..esp once you get in the shower. OUCH ! )
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

As a runner I can say for sure that chafing is bad, but what really takes the cake is the first time you finish a long run and then notice the two lines of blood dripping down your front after your shirt abraded the ends of both nipples off. Yikes!

A cycling problem also.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I am 230 lbs and 6' tall, I'm not fat... though I'm not skinny either. I have a lot of muscle mass on me and am in very good shape. My legs rub together and i get chafing. Both my parents were marathon runners back in the 80's and 90's, they would vaseline the legs, nipples, and armpits before anything over 15 miles, now I hear of this Body Glide stuff, gotta look into it. Marje is very intrigued on my "Cheek" application process, as am I.

Just for reference, my father is 6' 165 lbs, He gets chafing too and he's like a rail. My brother is 5'7" 115 lbs and he gets chafing and he's built like an anorexic teenager. Sweat + Friction = Chafing

As in "dessert" not "desert"

If I start to notice that as a problem while hiking I put bandaids over both nipples. And people can laugh all they want- it works.

Images

I have heard of this... however as a woman who usually hikes braless I find it strange that I have never experenced it. Maybe my are bouncing too much...
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

Starting a thru overweight might actually be helpful. I lost 70 pounds on my thru and was in great shape when I finished versus several hikers I know that really sufferred since they started near a 'normal' weight and got too thin so that it really affected their hikes. I know of two hikers that developed heart problems due to being seriously under weight....

BTW HH, I always thought you were just 'atheletic'.
    I still have from Gold Head to the end of the FT to do this winter!

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    A cycling problem also.
    Really? I've never had it from cycling. Road or MTB? I'm thinking maybe the upright position of MTB riding would lend itself to chafing.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bare Bear View Post
    BTW HH, I always thought you were just 'atheletic'.
    I still have from Gold Head to the end of the FT to do this winter!
    Keep me in mind. I doubt I would want to hike all the way from GH (which is just down the road from me) to the north end. However, I do have a 20 mile stretch in the Apalachicola to finsh up. Perhaps I can meet up with you. Keep me in the loop. HH

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    . . . . . . . . .
    Follow the light TS.... Don't follow the dark side or my path -tis' dark in the wood.

Mag's Duct tape - where? woooay to sensitive. use bandaids.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Re chaffing, the only bad case I had was not in humid, sweaty conditions but on the John Muir Trail. Something about the dryness made the contact between my shorts with my upper thighs more and more sore.

Re cycling, I haven't had any chaffing issues including on my 124 mile ride from Cumberland to Harpers Ferry on the C&O on some very humid days.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Re chaffing, the only bad case I had was not in humid, sweaty conditions but on the John Muir Trail. Something about the dryness made the contact between my shorts with my upper thighs more and more sore.
    I'm not a heavy sweater, but on the JMT the dry air left sand-like salt deposits on my skin. I could feel it on my face.

No chafing issues, though, since I wore long pants and long-sleeved shirt instead of sunscreen.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++