WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Hiker weight loss challenge

Youngblood and me are tired of being overweight and have challenged one another to lose weight. Youngblood put together a chart (attached) and we are going to weigh ourselves every Wednesday. My goal is to get down to 200 pounds. I weighed 232.4 this morning. The capper was ending up in the emergency room last Friday night with a scare. Thankfully it wasn't my ticker. Besides, it's hard enough climbing a big mountain with a full pack without carrying an extra 30 pounds up the hill.

Anybody want to join us? If so, should we come up with some kind of incentive and target date? A prize to the person who loses the largest percentage of their body weight? I'm hoping that public scrutiny and the shame & humiliation of possible failure will encourage me. I also hope it'll get me off of my duff and out on the trail more often.

Hikers currently attempting a thru-hike need not apply. You're probably gonna lose weight whether or not you want to.

Who's in?
    Last edited by MOWGLI; 09-27-2006 at 09:02.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    Youngblood and me are tired of being overweight and have challenged one another to lose weight. Youngblood put together a chart (attached) and we are going to weigh ourselves every Wednesday. My goal is to get down to 200 pounds. I weighed 232.4 this morning. The capper was ending up in the emergency room last Friday night with a scare. Thankfully it wasn't my ticker. Besides, it's hard enough climbing a big mountain with a full pack without carrying an extra 30 pounds up the hill.

Anybody want to join us? If so, should we come up with some kind of incentive and target date? A prize to the person who loses the largest percentage of their body weight? I'm hoping that public scrutiny and the shame & humuliation of possible failure will encourage me. I also hope it'll get me off of my duff and out on the trail more often.

Hikers currently attempting a thru-hike need not apply. You're probably gonna lose weight whether or not you want to.

Who's in?
    i need to lose 20 to 25 lbs myself neo

count me in i wiegh 192,i want to get to 170 neo

I could stand to lose 35 pounds myself, but in order to lose that kind of weight I need to thru-hike!

OK maybe if I get a bike, or start jogging. Go on the Abs diet, yeah that's the ticket!

First I need a scale. I'll get back to you.

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

I would love to join you and God knows I need to. I've always been honest enough to say I'm over weight but to post my weight... Even in weight watchers that number is secret!!

I need to lose 30 pounds and I'll let ya know how I'm doing. Maybe I'll even bite the bullet and post my weight, but I'll have to think about it.

Good Luck to ya. Sue/HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Yeah, I agree I need to lose weight too, I think everyone who has done the A.T. has a problem with eating afterwards, I do not know what my weight is but I am sure it is around 225, when I get to 200 I will let you know.

I am considering a NOBO next winter, God willing, so I need to get to at least 200 beofre I start, I would like to be around 190 - 195, as an average weight. What can I say I 6ft with broad shoulders, if I get to low (around 175) like on did on the last hike. people start top think there is something wrong with me.

AT Wanderer and '08 Dreamer Kevin A. Boyce's Avatar
    Images

Thumbs up Add another to the list

Sounds like a good challenge!

I am working on the ol' diet weight loss thing too, down almost 30lbs since March 1, and want to shed a fair amount more too...

Currently, I am weighing in at a , uh hem... uh.. 270lbs... Figure since my gear is going ultralight, I should too! At the rate I am going, I'll hit my goal weight in December so the timing works out pretty good.

Count me in...
    KevBoy

Images

lets do it then neo

Default How do we proceed? A few questions.

Good to see a nice response. What I suggest participants do is find a scale and use the same scale each time you weigh yourself. Unless you make sure different scales are synchronized, you'll get choppy results by switching back & forth.

Do you think folks should PM me with their starting weights so we don't clutter up this thread, or should public disclosure be the rule?

Maybe the fairer sex among us would prefer to play along - but not divulge their exact numbers. I'd be willing to display percentage of body weight lost for any women - or Sue, you could potentially track any women who want to play along to ensure the data remains private.

I welcome your responses. The more the merrier. Lets create a little group and support one another in our quest to get healthier. I find that always works well for me.
    Last edited by MOWGLI; 06-02-2005 at 19:29. Reason: typo

I've lost 67 lbs. since last Sept. Do I get a prize?

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Dude, if not for the beard, I wouldn't have recognized you at Trail Days. Seriously, that's inspiring.

My biggest problem is keeping weight off. The only habits I seem capable of forming are bad ones.

I'm game. I won't be at a scale until tomorrow though.

but no prize, challenge starts today.

Images

Do you think one could/would lose build muscle faster by hiking a short distance with a buttload of heavy weight on them or to UL the pack and go further? Distance hiked would be the same.

Just pickin around in my brain....
    It will all be okay in the end. If not, it's not the end. ~ Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by robin31
    Do you think one could/would lose build muscle faster by hiking a short distance with a buttload of heavy weight on them or to UL the pack and go further? Distance hiked would be the same.

Just pickin around in my brain....
    Ya know, you could fill a thimble with all I know about losing weight and keeping it off, but the CDC has a great website for this kinda info;

http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/physical/index.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/tips/index.htm

My guess is that regular excercise and a healthy diet is the best route.
    Last edited by MOWGLI; 06-02-2005 at 19:52. Reason: added 2nd url

I had a health issue. A minor stroke. So changing my eating, drinking and exercising habits was a no-brainer. Gonna run a 50 mile trail run in October. Anyone wanna join me?
    http://www.extremeultrarunning.com/mmtr.htm

Images

yeah,how about a date with hillary clinton neo

Images

loser has a choice of janet reno or hillary clinton neo

Images

OK, sure. Perhaps with suport I too can lose some un-needed fat.

I weigh (in work clothes, steel toed boots) 208.0, so probably around 199 to 200 ish, au natural.

I would like to get down to at least 165.0, I know I feel much better at that weight. BTW: I am 5' 7" give or take 1/2 inch.

So what is our goal? Rate?

I'm assuming the prize is a better us.

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

congrats on losing 67 lbs,and making changes to improve your health,just kiddin about winning a date with hillary. neo

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari

So what is our goal? Rate?

I'm assuming the prize is a better us.

Doctari.
    I think the goal is individual in nature. Lets shoot for quarterly results - September 1 2005, December 1 2005, March 1 2006, June 1 2006. If I'm to be successful, I need to be interested in this 1 year from now. Ideally I'll weigh 195 a year from now.

I agree that there should probably be no prize.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could demonstrate a signficant collective weight loss? And they say organizing hikers is like herding cats...

Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++