WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default White Mountains Section Hike 1/18-1/20

Hello,

I was thinking of going hiking in the White Mountains Section of the AT over MLK weekend starting at Franconia Notch and heading in either direction. I was hoping someone else is also interested in this, I will be leaving Boston on Thursday.

PM me if you will be hiking this section or are interested in hiking together,
    JM

Good luck with that. Have you ever been to Franconia Notch? In the winter?

The trails are going to be very icy after the thaw we just had. You will need crampons to get anywhere. If you head north onto Franconia ridge, you will need winter mountianering gear - plastic double boots, step in 12 point crampons, ice axe, etc.

Going south would be a lot easier and require somewhat less hardcore winter gear, but you will still need crampons.

Heading into the Pemi via the Wilderness trail would be a much better option then trying to hike some of the AT out of the notch.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Hello,

Sorry I forgot to note that I am also open to suggestions for alternate hikes. Other than the two hikes above do you recommend any other hikes that may be easier and require less gear. I have only been to Franconia Notch once and that was a few years ago, so I may very well be unprepared and am willing to go explore the area for the day and stay at a hotel or head back home.

I have some winter hiking gear already like crampons. I would be willing to buy some more great but not more than a few hundred dollars more.

Thank You for your advice,
    JM

Images

Quote Originally Posted by J-M View Post
    I was thinking of going hiking in the White Mountains Section of the AT over MLK weekend starting at Franconia Notch and heading in either direction. I was hoping someone else is also interested in this, I will be leaving Boston on Thursday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Good luck with that. Have you ever been to Franconia Notch? In the winter?
    Might find someone crazy enough to go with you on this guy's blog, that is, if you don't mind a dog coming along...

http://tomandatticus.blogspot.com/
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

You need more experience in arctic conditions than you seem to have to do this hike safely. At a minimum, you need to go with a experienced white mountain hiker with you to evaluate your gear and keep you safe. If you can find an AMC trip that weekend that will let you join that might be OK.

If you're prepared for low temps of 0F to 10F, maybe you could hike on the AT in Mass. For this coming weekend you probably wouldn't need snowshoes in Mass (except possibly on Mt. Graylock, don't know about there). One nice hike is Salisbury, CT, to Jug End, MA, probably icy there. Even there, I'd call the Mt. Washington State Park (MA) and ask the rangers how much snow there is and what the conditions are.

Be prudent indeed. Here's a link to what the AMC has going on.

http://activities.outdoors.org/searc...m/action/main/

The other option is the RMC Gray Knob cabin on Mt Adams. It has a caretaker, wood stove (which may or may not be in use depending on condtions) and costs $15 a night. Lowes path is the recommend route and is well traveled. Crampons will be needed. It's a 3.5 mile hike and very steep for the last mile or so. The hike typically takes a minimum of 4 hours. If you can get to Lowe's store by 1 PM from Boston (about a 4.5 hour drive depending on exactly where you are), you can probably make the cabin before full on dark.

It's a good place to go with minimual winter gear, as you don't need to sleep outside and the cabin is kept relatively warm. It's the place many novice winter hikers go to get a taste of above tree line, since the cabin sits just below tree line. If the conditions are good, you might be able to climb Adams, if not it's easy to get back to the cabin.

The only problem is, it can get busy up there on a holiday weekend, but if you can go up Friday, you will beat the crowd and score a spot. Capacity is 15 and you can be turned away once it fills up. There is an overflow cabin near-by, but it is not heated so you need a warm bag. You can however, hang out at the Knob and cook dinner, etc.

For more info, http://www.randolphmountainclub.org should get you to the web site.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 01-15-2013 at 18:02.

Thank you everyone, especially Slo-go'en. I will be trying to stay at the cabins at RMC.

Quote Originally Posted by J-M View Post
    Thank you everyone, especially Slo-go'en. I will be trying to stay at the cabins at RMC.
    Good call, and I'm not just saying that because I once lived up there for 10 months

We will be on the Carters and Wildcats this weekend. The AMC cabins are all full for the weekend but you may check the Lafayette Campground and hotels in Lincoln, really busy weekend up here!. The high ridges are all ice, so microspikes AND crampons are required. We are also carrying snowshoes. As I type this we are getting 3-4 inches of snow but I know that points north are getting smaller snowfall totals, which is a bummer. Also plan on mid teen highs at the trailheads! http://www.hikesafe.com/, there is also a high summits forecast at the MWOBS website below. The weather is insane, if you start to get uneasy, turn back, cuz if they have to come get you, it will cost you $$$.
    If you hike smart, you can plan it right. MANY FS roads and roads to trailheads are also closed so you will have to plan on 1.5- 2 mile road walks if you go somewhere like Zealand Falls, which is something recommended as a winter hike. Its flat, you can hike to Thoreau Falls and Ethan Pond. Really pretty strecth of trail and very very easy. You can rent snowshoes if you dont have any at the EMS in Concord, its right on the way to The Whites.

There is a special something that is in the woods in the winter. Just have the right gear and clothing and you will be fine. In terms of the AT, Id stay off the high ridges for now until they get more snow, especially above treeline. Unless you are experienced as an ice climber that is... Its just a mix of ice and rock. The latest at the MWOBS is bare rock and ice at the summits with a total of 8 inches forecasted when this thing moves out. Im hoping for the massive clearing they are saying could occur on Friday and Saturday. The temps will be cold, but this weekend could end up really beautiful on the lower elevations.

Dude Thanks for posting this. I gotta check this out with Wak. She would love this!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The other option is the RMC Gray Knob cabin on Mt Adams. It has a caretaker, wood stove (which may or may not be in use depending on condtions) and costs $15 a night. Lowes path is the recommend route and is well traveled. Crampons will be needed. It's a 3.5 mile hike and very steep for the last mile or so. The hike typically takes a minimum of 4 hours. If you can get to Lowe's store by 1 PM from Boston (about a 4.5 hour drive depending on exactly where you are), you can probably make the cabin before full on dark.

It's a good place to go with minimual winter gear, as you don't need to sleep outside and the cabin is kept relatively warm. It's the place many novice winter hikers go to get a taste of above tree line, since the cabin sits just below tree line. If the conditions are good, you might be able to climb Adams, if not it's easy to get back to the cabin.

The only problem is, it can get busy up there on a holiday weekend, but if you can go up Friday, you will beat the crowd and score a spot. Capacity is 15 and you can be turned away once it fills up. There is an overflow cabin near-by, but it is not heated so you need a warm bag. You can however, hang out at the Knob and cook dinner, etc.

For more info, http://www.randolphmountainclub.org should get you to the web site.

While you are planning take a look at the required winter gear list, if you dont have this gear and you get in trouble, you will be paying for your rescue.

http://hikesafe.com/index.php?page=full-gear-list

Gray Knob and the other RMC facilities are first come first serve and they usually fill up MLK weekend. As noted only Gray Knob has limited heat. The overflow cabin, Crag Camp has a spectacular view but is quite cold. Plan on a minus 20 deg F bag if you have to stay there. To have any hope of getting into Gray Knob, you need to be there early Friday as many folks drive up from Boston and head up late on Friday. Worse case is if you dont have the gear you get to head back down to the car. There are no nearby place to rent gear to Randolph, you basically need to go through North Conway.

The equipment and logistics for overnight camping in the whites in winter are the reason why a lot of folks like myself dayhike in the winter. All of the summits are reasonably accessible for day hikes and the required weight of gear you need is a lot less. If AMC has any openings at the Shapleigh Lodge adjacent to the Highland Center that is great option as anyone staying at the facility has free use of their extensive gear collection. The money saved in rentals will pay for a good chunk of your room and there are numerous hikes just outside the door plus if the weather is good, the high summits are close by.

Whatever you do dont assume you wont need snowshoes or traction. Conditions do change quickly and one minute you may be barebooting and the next you may be hip deep postholing your way down the mountain

++ New Posts ++