WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Carry cash on the trail on the trail? Alteratives?

What's the concensus on carrying cash on the trail? On an extended hike - say 3 weeks or more - you're bound to have some expenses, whether it's lodging, food, treats. or whatever, some money will be a necessity. On the other hand nobody wants to be wlking around with a wad of cash in their pocket. I'm planning to do several sections of the AT this year, of several weeks duration. I know I'll have to have some cash on hand, but what are the alternatives? Does anyone still use/take Travelers Checks? Are ATMs available at many supply stops? What about credit cards? Comments?

I normally carry 40-50 dollars in cash along with a debit and credit card. Be sure to keep a couple of dollars in change, just in case you run into a vending machine at a park or roadside. Most post offices will give you up to 50 dollars on your debit card with any purchase such as a single stamp, no fees. There are ATMs in most trail towns and in outfitterrs,hotels, etc. so money should not be a probem as long as you keep a balance in your bank. swamp dawg

Agreed...I carried some cash with me as well as credit/debit cards. You will find some places that only take cash, or charge insanely ridiculous rates for use of credit cards! It's always good to have the green stuff on-hand just in case. Also, I second his idea of carrying coins. I could never bring myself to carry coin weight, but let me tell you, when you're dehydrated as hell and all you want is a soda from the lonely machine in the middle of nowhere...it SUCKS to have no coins ;(

Images

I usually carry a credit card, a debit card, and around $100 in unmarked small bills. As I spend down the cash, I use my debit card to get more when grocery shopping. Seems to work ok. The credit card is reserved for big stuff, like hotel rooms or travel expenses.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

For three weeks of the AT, you should not need more that $50 cash. Anywhere you need more money, you will find an ATM or a place that accepts Visa/Debit Cards.

Who doesn't want to carry a wad of cash?

I've never been robbed of my cash in many years of hiking.
    I don't see the problem here.
    Has anyone been robbed of cash?
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post

yep - I agree
    No - I have never been robbed of cash and if almost every small, locally owned business (store, hostel, pizza joint, etc.) prefers cash for (especially) small purchases. I typically carry about hundred bucks in cash (maybe a little more for a long section), one credit / ATM card, and my id in a Tyvek wallet - - - never had any problems at all.
    Last edited by Papa D; 01-16-2013 at 09:37.

Images

If i get robbed i've bigger problems than losing some cash. Because one of us is now dead.........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LeaderDog View Post
    If i get robbed i've bigger problems than losing some cash. Because one of us is now dead.........

So, LeaderDog - just wondering: what's the temp like where you are????? Good on ya, by the way. I liked the answer.

I didn't like to carry more than $20-$30 in ones and fives, mostly for tips for rides, etc. I used a debit card for food purchases and smaller stuff, with a credit card for the larger ones: motel room, gear,etc. Everything was in a ziploc bag, tucked down inside a pocket I didn't access much. I kept the receipts and checked online whenever I was in town, just in case.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

On section hikes I carry $50 bucks in small bills and then a hidden benjamin in case of emergency.

Images

I usually carry cash, a debit card, and a credit card on longer hikes. I will typically split my cash 3 ways and put it in different pockets on my pack. Just in case someone tries to rob me, they will more than likely only find one stash (I mean, who keeps their cash in 3 spots? lol). I keep my debit/credit card on my person. In case I lose my pack, have to drop it for some reason, or the whole thing gets stolen - it's good to have something on me at all times. They're lightweight and easy to carry in my pockets.
    If a tree falls in the woods, be there to hear it.

Why worry about it? Crime on the trail is pretty minimal. FWIW, I've started hikes in the U.S. with as much at $500 and I started my Pyrenees hike last year with 700 euro. Getting robbed is extremely rare, and if it does happen, it's not an irreplaceable amount of cash in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by LeaderDog View Post
    Best comment I've seen in a while. I always carry around $100 cash plus a card. No worries.
    2009 thru hike Blog ---- 2009 AT GA-ME, 2012 JMT, 2013 LT, 2016 AT flip flop, 2017 AT GA-ME

That pretty much answers my question. Thanks to all.

I have never been robbed on any trail.

HOWEVER, I was once crossing a bog on a one-log bridge. I fell into water that was mid-waist high--and I (for some stupid reason) had my wallet in my back pocket and not in a waterproof bag in my pack. I had several items in the wallet "ruined" and the money was very soggy and messy. So, unless someone is going to safeguard it better than I did on that day-the more CASH that one has with them just means more cash to be ruined by the elements. ATM cards and credit cards are not as easily ruined by water.

Now, I actually prefer to carry gold and silver bullion when I hike--large, heavy, bricks of precious metal!
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by prain4u View Post
    ...I (for some stupid reason) had my wallet in my back pocket and not in a waterproof bag in my pack.
    OTOH, I have seen a number of report of people having their pack or gear stolen, so having your cash on your person might make it more secure as well as more soggy.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    OTOH, I have seen a number of report of people having their pack or gear stolen, so having your cash on your person might make it more secure as well as more soggy.
    Generally, WHEN I CARRY A WALLET, I keep my wallet in a ziplock bag in my pack while actually hiking----and on my person in camp and in town. If it is a multi-day or multi week hike-I just carry my drivers license, an ATM card and a credit card in a ziplock (same "rules" as with my wallet"--in my pack while hiking and on my person in camp and in town)
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Clearly you dont remember the epic tail of irishbastard/roadside... he got robbed 2 times.... well each one of his multi personalities got robbed once LOL

That pretty much answers my question. Thanks to all.

__________________________________________________ ___
    wow gold kaufen|diablo 3 gold kaufen|Cheap diablo 3 gold|Swtor Credits Kaufen

++ New Posts ++