WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Down or synthetic?

Folks, I am currently trying to put a kit together for myself and my teenage son who has suggested we do a SOBO hike in June or July...We have open ended plans and will just see how far we go but he is hoping for us to cover the whole of Maine....My question, after much reading and research, is do I go for an ultralight down option or go with a synthetic?...everything i have read suggests we will get a thorough wetting so im leaning towards synthetic...but i really like the weight numbers of down options...I am looking at quilts primarily, we are both 'hot' sleepers...thanks in advance for any contributions and suggestions.

Images

down. Just a tiny bit of common sense will keep your down dry.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Quote Originally Posted by Fur Queue View Post
    Folks, I am currently trying to put a kit together for myself and my teenage son who has suggested we do a SOBO hike in June or July...We have open ended plans and will just see how far we go but he is hoping for us to cover the whole of Maine....My question, after much reading and research, is do I go for an ultralight down option or go with a synthetic?...everything i have read suggests we will get a thorough wetting so im leaning towards synthetic...but i really like the weight numbers of down options...I am looking at quilts primarily, we are both 'hot' sleepers...thanks in advance for any contributions and suggestions.
    This is one of many hot button topics on Whiteblaze. I am doing the same section July. I bought synthetic, not because it is better, but because I believe I will be getting things wet. Down is lighter and offers more insulation protection per weight but cost more. Synthetic is cheaper, heavier and bit more forgiving if wet. I just am not experienced enough to be comfortable about the possibility of getting it wet.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2001 View Post
    I agree....sat here at home.....but, in that case, why would anyone, budget excepted, choose synthetic over down?

Down.

For a variety of reasons, but mainly:
    Lighter
    Breaths better (less sweaty)
    Packs smaller
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

My personal choice would be down. Lighter, more compact, more breathable. It's easy to keep a down bag dry during the day - plastic liner bag inside stuff sack. It becomes a little more vulnerable while being used, but with proper precautions on site selection and attention to your surroundings, it shouldn't be a problem. Condensation inside your tent/tarp can get transferred to your bag if you are not careful. That said, it is tough to get any down item really saturated - ever try washing one? Hardest part of the job is to get the down saturated.

Air out the down every dry/sunny day either at camp or during lunch. That will help alleviate the moisture they gain from your breathing/sweating each night. If you get a chance in town to toss it in a dryer for a cycle or two - all the better. On damp days, keep it packed up until you're ready to use it. In the morning, pack it up immediately - before you go pee - and you will squeeze most of the moist air out of it before the bag cools down and the moisture condenses onto the down.

If this sounds too difficult or like too much bother (it is neither), then you may be happier with synthetic. Keep in mind though, they also loose their ability to hold warmth as they get damp, so the same precautions and practices are good policy with synthetic as well.

Comes down to personal choice - no pun intended.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Down.

For a variety of reasons, but mainly:
    Lighter
    Breaths better (less sweaty)
    Packs smaller
    There is no arguing that the properties of down are far superior to synthetic (well... someone might argue). It is just a matter of budget and can you keep it dry.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

[QUOTE=Fur Queue.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... With that alias, are you sure you are the dad?

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    My personal choice would be down. Lighter, more compact, more breathable. It's easy to keep a down bag dry during the day - plastic liner bag inside stuff sack. It becomes a little more vulnerable while being used, but with proper precautions on site selection and attention to your surroundings, it shouldn't be a problem. Condensation inside your tent/tarp can get transferred to your bag if you are not careful. That said, it is tough to get any down item really saturated - ever try washing one? Hardest part of the job is to get the down saturated.

Air out the down every dry/sunny day either at camp or during lunch. That will help alleviate the moisture they gain from your breathing/sweating each night. If you get a chance in town to toss it in a dryer for a cycle or two - all the better. On damp days, keep it packed up until you're ready to use it. In the morning, pack it up immediately - before you go pee - and you will squeeze most of the moist air out of it before the bag cools down and the moisture condenses onto the down.

If this sounds too difficult or like too much bother (it is neither), then you may be happier with synthetic. Keep in mind though, they also loose their ability to hold warmth as they get damp, so the same precautions and practices are good policy with synthetic as well.

Comes down to personal choice - no pun intended.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!!
    This is excellent informational and advice! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Hmmm... With that alias, are you sure you are the dad?

We enjoy puns and word games in our house...and we don't mind telling it like it is when necessary.

There is no arguing that the properties of down are far superior to synthetic (well... someone might argue). It is just a matter of budget and can you keep it dry.
    Yeah, budget is definitely a consideration. Especially with the high end bags, which cost a small fortune. They're worth it though, if you can afford it. That said, Campmor used to sell a down bag that was very affordable, and didn't skimp on quality. It wasn't the lightest of the light down bag, but it was still light. I wish they still sold that.

As far as getting a bag wet, I'd say for hiking on the AT it's not really a consideration. It's really pretty easy to keep your bag dry with just a little precaution. On rainy days keep it in your pack, in its stuff sack, in a garbage bag. It works very well. And at night, most modern bags are made of shell materials that are really pretty good at repelling water. For example, I woke up in a shelter down south with a puddle a half inch deep and 8 inches long on top of my sleeping bag (there was a leak in the roof of the shelter). I brushed off the puddle, moved over two feet, and went back to sleep. The water never really penetrated my bag, so the down continued to loft. And on sunny days, I would take the bag out to dry during my breaks.

But that's what worked for me. Others could have very different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Yeah, budget is definitely a consideration. Especially with the high end bags, which cost a small fortune. They're worth it though, if you can afford it. That said, Campmor used to sell a down bag that was very affordable, and didn't skimp on quality. It wasn't the lightest of the light down bag, but it was still light. I wish they still sold that.

As far as getting a bag wet, I'd say for hiking on the AT it's not really a consideration. It's really pretty easy to keep your bag dry with just a little precaution. On rainy days keep it in your pack, in its stuff sack, in a garbage bag. It works very well. And at night, most modern bags are made of shell materials that are really pretty good at repelling water. For example, I woke up in a shelter down south with a puddle a half inch deep and 8 inches long on top of my sleeping bag (there was a leak in the roof of the shelter). I brushed off the puddle, moved over two feet, and went back to sleep. The water never really penetrated my bag, so the down continued to loft. And on sunny days, I would take the bag out to dry during my breaks.

But that's what worked for me. Others could have very different experiences.
    I suspect I will look back at a lot of these posts and say, "I should have just listened". I went as light as I could, while allowing for the stupid factor. What I mean is I keep hearing, "you can keep it dry". My brain keeps telling me, "they can, but you can't".

I suspect I will look back at a lot of these posts and say, "I should have just listened". I went as light as I could, while allowing for the stupid factor. What I mean is I keep hearing, "you can keep it dry". My brain keeps telling me, "they can, but you can't".
    No worries. It's not like synthetic is a wrong choice, just a different choice.

A couple of synthetic bags are among the few things I have ever returned to REI. Besides the things said above. Good down lasts for years and years, while synthetics slowly lose loft and warmth over time. If you are contemplating trips in the future, go for the down.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I have used both kinds of bags hiking in Maine in summer months. Just make sure you have a well sealed tent because down does not take getting wet all that well. One thing you can be sure of is that you will get more than your share of rain in Maine. Down bags really require a dryer and a couple of tennis ball to restore the loft of the bag. Synthetic just need a sunny spot to dry out. You may not need a real low temp. rated bag since Maine seems to have one month of summer at this time of year That said, down is much lighter and eaiser to stuff in your pack and HYOH. swamp dawg

Quote Originally Posted by swamp dawg View Post
    I have used both kinds of bags hiking in Maine in summer months. Just make sure you have a well sealed tent because down does not take getting wet all that well. One thing you can be sure of is that you will get more than your share of rain in Maine. Down bags really require a dryer and a couple of tennis ball to restore the loft of the bag. Synthetic just need a sunny spot to dry out. You may not need a real low temp. rated bag since Maine seems to have one month of summer at this time of year That said, down is much lighter and eaiser to stuff in your pack and HYOH. swamp dawg
    I was thinking of a 30 degree quilt with clothing options? Brilliant and solid input everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Fur Queue View Post
    I agree....sat here at home.....but, in that case, why would anyone, budget excepted, choose synthetic over down?
    I prefer down, but use synthetic when sharing a tent with my down allergic daughter. So that is one possible reason.

Well, I'm sure glad I took my synthetic bag when I sectioned Virginia a few years back during the month of May when it rained 5 days out of 7 for a month. It's not so much the rain, but the high humidity, mist and fog, combined with the natural mosture from the body while you sleep and everything being continually damp which gets you. Without frequent sunny days to air and dry everything out, it's a loosing battle.

A synthetic bag is just lower mantinance, at the expense of slightly greater weight and bulk. Since June tends to be wetter then July in Maine, I would lean synthetic for June and down for July.

Synthetic bags can slowly loose thier loft over time, but down bags can also slowly loose thier feathers. I seem to have a couple pop out between the seams everytime I take it out of the stuff sack. I try to push them back in if I can, but usually they won't go back.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Down, unless kayaking or canoing. Pack in dry-bag.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2001 View Post
    Well said, down wins, no contest. Lighter, warmer, more comfortable, much more durable. I just retired my first down bag which has twenty three plus years of use on it, a synthetic bag would have been useless within the first decade.

It just takes a bit of common sense and a dry stuff sack for when it's in your pack, I recommend one from Sea to Summit. Most new bags also have a water resistant (not waterproof) coating on the outside, which will help a bit with your worry.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++