WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Rain Pants: To be or not to be...

My long standing debate of "weather" or not to take rain pants on my thru-hike starting this April... looking for some insight...

Also, who votes for shoe gaiters?

Cheers!

My rain pants sit in the bottom of my pack. Now I don't bring them. Some people like rain skirts but I've never tried one. I want to buy a Packa. I like the short trail running gaiters.

For the most part my rain pants sit in my pack, but they will be used come laundry day.

I vote yes for the gaiters. I have a pair of these and love them http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/

I used them out west on the JMT and West Rim Trails, section hiking the AT and Mid-State Trail and they're hella useful for keeping trail duff out of my trail runners.
    Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time -- Steven Wright

I've been looking at the Packa also, it looks like an great idea. I've thought about gaiters lately too, I been looking around getting ideas for them, but until you know someone that has used some it's hard to make a choice. On the gaiters, do you use the longer or shorter version?

Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by RedBeerd View Post
    My rain pants sit in the bottom of my pack. Now I don't bring them. Some people like rain skirts but I've never tried one. I want to buy a Packa. I like the short trail running gaiters.
    +1 on every word of that reply. I have a packa. It is great. I have no rain pants and have the short gaiters. Gaiters for debris and tick defense.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

April can be pretty chilly, I use rain pants more for wind/cold protection than to stay dry, on occasion I've even used them to try and warm up after I was already wet. I think that I'd have to start with them and then ship'em home after I got tired of carrying them.

David

Journal Entries
    Images

Are gaiters needed if wearing over the ankle hiking boot? I have the Packa, have worn it during some short hikes in the rain, keeps the rain off of me and the pack. Only down side is removing the pack without taking the Packa off is very difficult.

Both are personal preference items. Some like them, some don't. You can hike the entire trail without either and it won't affect your enjoyment of it. Take the pants and gaiters if you want. You can always mail them home if you find you don't need them.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

For an April start? Probably not. For the end up in New England when there could be real hypothermia issues - yes.

No to gaiters for me anyway. Never wore them.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Stink Bug View Post
    I vote yes for the gaiters. I have a pair of these and love them http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/
    Dirtygirlgaiters are soooo fun! Adds a little flair haha, Good advice on the pants everyone, thank you! It looks like there aren't any serious votes for taking them so perhaps I'll pass...

Cheers!

It really depends on the rest of your clothing. Pants are always a dilemma because you don't want too much redundancy. It is usually a matter of rain pants OR wind pants OR hiking pants. One consideration is whether or not you might be hiking through stuff like tall grass and raspberry canes, which can shred most clothing, and legs. I tend to favour a lightweight hiking pant. Doesn't have to be totally waterproof or windproof, but light breathable and non water absorbing. Like the omnidry titanium material you see with hiking shorts. Not a big fan of convertibles but you could make your own convertibles using small buttons instead of zipper and velcro.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    It really depends on the rest of your clothing. Pants are always a dilemma because you don't want too much redundancy. It is usually a matter of rain pants OR wind pants OR hiking pants.
    This, exactly. I'll have very comfy hiking shorts, and "rain pants" for warmth when needed, simple 4.6 ounce Dri ducks. Waterproof, for when that's handy too.

Typically on a daily basis I keep my rain pants and jacket in my day pack for school and hiking. Ever time its raining or starts to rain I put both of them, especially in Lexington winters where its just below freezing and raining most of the time. They work not only to keep myself and cloths dry and clean but as a wind breaker. During backpacking I always take them but rarely use the pants in the summer unless I'm at camp. They get too hot.

If I were you I would take them and send them home if you don't like them. I plan on taking mine for my SOBO to start and send them home if i done use them for the summer months until about September/October and Ill pick them back up when it starts to get cold again.
    Transcend the Bull$hit

++ New Posts ++