WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

I was reading my just arrived copy of AT Journeys Magazine and saw a book review of "The Appalachian Trail, Celebrating America's Hiking Trail" and saw that the forword was written by Bill Bryson. I received a copy of this book in October but only looked at the pictures and put it aside to read another day. I think many posters on this site will come away with a different opinion of Bryson if they take the opportunity to read the forword he wrote for this book. I don't see where he will make one penny from the sales of the book and he clearly states that Katz and he failed to hike the trail. The last paragraph of the foreword eloquently states his appreciation of the Appalachian Trail.

Registered User Kaptain Kangaroo's Avatar
    Images

Yes, a great book with some fantastic images. The foreword by Bill Bryson is also very good.

It always make me laugh when people criticize A Walk In The Woods by comparing it to other books by hikers about their trail experience. Hikers write books that are only of interest to other hikers. I have a shelf full of books about AT thru hikes written by hikers..... I think they are great, but to be honest, the writing in almost all of them is pretty average & it is only my trail experience that makes me appreciate them.
    Bill Bryson writes comedy travel books that are popular with the general public. Like most writers in this genre, while there is a core of truth in his writing, he does highlight the stereotypes & use some exaggeration... But who doesn't when they are telling a funny story ??

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Chief View Post
    I was reading my just arrived copy of AT Journeys Magazine and saw a book review of "The Appalachian Trail, Celebrating America's Hiking Trail" and saw that the forword was written by Bill Bryson. I received a copy of this book in October but only looked at the pictures and put it aside to read another day. I think many posters on this site will come away with a different opinion of Bryson if they take the opportunity to read the forword he wrote for this book. I don't see where he will make one penny from the sales of the book and he clearly states that Katz and he failed to hike the trail. The last paragraph of the foreword eloquently states his appreciation of the Appalachian Trail.
    A friend gave this book to me for Christmas, really nice book!

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh it was a work of FICTION! glad to see you are better!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I thought that Katz was Bryson, and the narrator is someone else...

Anyway, it's a funny book, once you get over the idea that Bryson never lets the truth get in the way of a good story. Some people never do.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I met a guy in New Hampshire in 2000 and we hiked together for a while. He is mentioned by his real name in Walk in the Woods because he is one of the few people Bill did not insult. He assures me that Katz is all too real and not an exaggeration. He also says that Bill phoned him the next year wanting to hike some more, but he declined the invitation.

I find it most interesting how many people have read Bill Bryson's Walk in the Woods, especially those who have no intentions of hiking it. It is also interesting what people take away from reading it. I enjoyed his humor and historical background on the trail, but walked away with a very negative impression of the AT. The majority I've spoken to about this book state that they found it humorous. Some of the most disturbing things where human destruction to the forest over the centuries, by introduction of various diseases, deforestation, mining, development, pollution, etc. Add in the psycho stockers who've senselessly murdered random hikers over the years, and some of the not-so pleasant towns along the way, left me with a big question of why I'm hiking the AT. I've decided however, to experience the AT first hand, make my own conclusions, and use it as valuable experience for hiking the PCT and CDT in the near future.

Section Hiker

I'm nearly finished with the book and find myself stuck in a paradox. Good writing, very entertaining and yes I am learning from it. However, I do find the constant negativity and cynicism to be, well, a bit of a buzz kill.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Images

So, I think that this is my 999th post, for Bill Bryson, good use of a cool number.

When I 1st read this book I put it down, was seeking advice and info not humor..............when I got through all of the other books, I re-read Walk in the Woods and I too, laughed out loud. Great read.

I had spent some time on the AT by that point and better understood. Bill Bryson is an excellent author, have read several of his books. Deep thinker.

Then I started hearing about Robert Redford & Paul Newman doing a movie based on the book.

My trail name, Del Q, is from the movie Jeremiah Johnson

Agree 100% with the above comments that this book seriously raised the aeareness of the AT

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++