WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Cycle Hiker

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Cycle Hiker

the hiker known as "CYCLE HIKER"...has boxed his bicycle up & shipped it home....he got to approx. WAYNESBORO, VA before he decided to let the "bike have a rest.."

According to an e-mail from his sister, "CYCLE HIKER" is continuing onto Mt. Katahdin & now plans to have the bike waiting for him there & will ride it 1300 miles back to his home near Chicago, IL

Good Luck, "CYCLE HIKER"!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/sh...cat/500/page/2
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

NOOOOoooooo, not the CYCLE!!! Is his name just Hiker now? I got to meet him for a bit, seemed like a real nice guy. Good luck Cycleless Hiker!

Journal Entries
    Images

I knew it was only a matter of time before he shipeed it home. LOL.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Cycle-less Hiker

i guess he is now: "CYCLE-LESS HIKER"!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Long Trail '04
    Images

Ha! I thought tuba man was bad but this is worst idea i've heard of yet. At least you can play a tuba...

I had not heard of Cycle Hiker before this post. What was the point? Was he actually carrying a bicycle with him in hopes of actually riding it on the AT?!?!

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by trippclark
    I had not heard of Cycle Hiker before this post. What was the point? Was he actually carrying a bicycle with him in hopes of actually riding it on the AT?!?!
    =====================================
    I never met him but there was talk about him at Trail Days. According to what I heard he had ridden his bicycle from home (wherever that was ??) to Springer. His plan was to hike with it all the way to Katahdin, using it as transportation in and out of towns for re-supply and then ride it home after the hike.

Not sure if that's totally accurate but that's what I had heard.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SavageLlama
    Ha! I thought tuba man was bad but this is worst idea i've heard of yet. At least you can play a tuba...
    But with a bike you won't have to hitch into towns. Just put it back together, & hop on I understand it is fairly hard to do that with a tuba

I thought of riding to the trail, but figuring in the cost of shipping the bike home, plus expences on the road for about 4 days, I would probably save $20.00 as opposed to going Greyhound & getting a shuttle.

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

GA-ME-04
    Images

Although I hate to hear that he sent his bike home, I think that it's a pretty creative idea. My hat is off to him for carrying it as far as he did. Shoot, anybody can walk the AT, but to bike all the way back home is hardcore if he does actually do it. Kinda like the fellow that cycled to Nepal, then climbed just short of the summit of Everest (solo) before bad weather turned him back. He then biked all the way back home which was I think about 1300 miles. Sadly, he died a few years later in a climbing accident.

Default I wouldn't consider carrying a bicycle with me on the AT, to put it mildly...

But, if I was going to, it'd be one of those lightweight folding bicycles, that weigh around 20 pounds. To think of adding 20 pounds to my pack... Only a huge (tall and muscular, not just heavy) guy who was a real town rat IMO could possibly come close to justifying carrying a frigging bicycle. After all, biking's not allowed on the AT, and most of the AT it can't possibly be done, anyway, from what I've seen of it.

He never used it for any purpose along the trail. He told me it took about an hour to put together and even longer to take apart and load. I believe he took it along as a conversation piece, that and he wanted to do something different. Hike Your Own Ride or something like that.

It's been done maybe a million times before- except it was the Ho Chi Minh trail. No shelters, no town stops, skeeters as big as B-52s. No wait those were B-52s.

++ New Posts ++