WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Are Camp Shoes Necessary?

Hello WB!

Moosky here. I'm going through my gear list again to try to shed some weight. I remember some one said that he never used camp shoes. Camp shoes can be pretty heavy. A pair of cros can weigh 12 ounces I think. I'm wondering, do I really need camp shoes? What is the purpose for camp shoes? If they are necessary, any light-weight substitutes?

Thanks!
    Moosky

2013 Alleged Thru-Hiker Chuckie V's Avatar
    No Fixed Address (Though usually found in CO)

Need? No. But flip-flops can be nice, if you want to air your poor feet out each afternoon. They're light and cheap and easily replaced. But I guess it all depends on what you're wearing when walking (i.e., boots vs. shoes), and if the weight of any additional footwear is tolerable to you. I hike in well-ventilated running shoes, and so they can double their duties as camp shoes, though they suck when it comes time to go bowling.

Images

Having camp shoes is a very nice way to rest your tired feet, wade through a cool creek, and they are lighter on the terrain of the campsite than hiking shoes and boots and are thus have less of an impact on soil erosion and so forth. I have taken scissors to my crocs and have them down to about 8.5 ounces (size 8-9). Some folks just get an super cheap pair of vans, toms, light espadrilles, or flip flops would do fine too. I'd recommend something but no, they are not absolutely necessary

Images

I met a woman this summer in New Hampshire who was in her 50s that had completed more than one thru hike wearing just chacos the whole way - - she was trucking right along - - forgot her name - - HYOH

These are the best compromise between weight and comfort that I've found and they tighten up real well for stream crossings. I removed the tongue and one shoe weighs 3.8 oz. They pack down much smaller than Crocs.

http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/mens/...pure-mens.html

Cat in the Hat

need, as in to be required or necessary... no
    need, as in to be in want of something... personal preference

i have been carrying down slippers on my winter hikes for years and they've become a favorite in my backpack. are they a necessity? no, they're not. do they contribute to a great hike and do i want them? yep.

i guess its all in your perspective, desire, and ability. do what you like and HYOH, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosky View Post
    Hello WB!

Moosky here. I'm going through my gear list again to try to shed some weight. I remember some one said that he never used camp shoes. Camp shoes can be pretty heavy. A pair of cros can weigh 12 ounces I think. I'm wondering, do I really need camp shoes? What is the purpose for camp shoes? If they are necessary, any light-weight substitutes?

Thanks!
    Moosky
    For wearing at camp, no. For crossing streams, maybe more so. I figure if you need them for crossing, you might as well wear them at camp.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

No you don't need camp shoes. Thru-hikers are more likely to appreciate them because the have a bak up to the hiking shoes and can give the feet a rest so to speak, they are also town shoes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by msupple View Post
    These are the best compromise between weight and comfort that I've found and they tighten up real well for stream crossings. I removed the tongue and one shoe weighs 3.8 oz. They pack down much smaller than Crocs.

http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/mens/...pure-mens.html

Cat in the Hat
    I just got a pair of these and I can't stop wearing them around the house, I love them and think it's the perfect camp shoe
    Long Trail 8/12, AT SOBO 2013, https://www.youtube.com/user/Polechar/videos

No........................................

I find no use for camp shoes anymore. Something that may be nice wearing around the house and may be light still takes up space and is not essential, for my pack and has not been part of my gear for a few years. I dont miss them at all.

No! Umm, no!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Necessary? No. Useful? Yes. - It's just a matter of personal preference. In the winter/cold weather they are useful for stream crossings and as a backup when your boots get soaked. If you hike in boots, a second set of lighter shoes/crocs can provide a welcome break for our feet. I now wear trail runners for three season hiking and find them comfortable enough that I no longer have any desire for camp shoes.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Garlic
    Images

I prefer to hike in shoes that are comfortable enough that camp shoes are not necessary. My shoes dry quickly after walking in water, so I don't need other footwear for that either. I prefer not to fuss with another set of footwear hanging on my pack. But that's just me.

I have seen hikers make serviceable lightweight camp shoes with a set of stock shoe insoles and some paracord.

I just learned a nice trick for stream crossings, too--remove the insoles from your shoes, put them in your socks, tie the shoes around your neck, and cross with wet socks and insoles only. Things dry even quicker that way, and your socks may get cleaner. It worked in the muddy Gila last week on the AZT, except the cleaner part.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Thanks all!
    For those who said they don't carry camp shoes, how do you cross streams? Bare foot? I'm going SOBO so I'll probably ford a lot of streams early on.

Thanks garlic08! That was a helpful tip.

Some take camp shoes of some sort. Others don't. I plan on taking my Crocs on my thru-hike. Nice for relaxing after a long day's hike. Can also use them in hostel showers to prevent athlete's foot.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

For crossing streams, if you are wearing a well ventilated running style shoe some just hike right on through (perhaps stopping to remove socks). The shoe will dry out fast enough and if you're handy with a fire you can speed it up later.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

I've never had separate camp shoes. I use Waldies (the kind with the strap) for stream crossings and I just wear those in camp.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Camp shoes are a rare example of extra weight that I'd be more likely to take on a long hike (multi-week, multi-resupply) than a short one. When you live in your boots for months at a time, you really want to wear something else in town or in camp, no matter how comfortable your boots are. This is an issue on which I think WhiteBlaze drastically misrepresents real life: when you get on the AT (I'm assuming you're planning for the AT?) almost everyone you meet--95% or more--will have a separate pair of camp shoes.

Those Vivo things look awesome, but if you want to spend about $45 less and sacrifice only a few ounces, go to Target or Wal-Mart and buy the lightest pair of foam-rubber flip-flops they have. Mine cost like $8 and held up the whole hike, through many a town perambulation and many a steep shelter blue-blaze to water. Quite a bit lighter than Crocs and serve most of the same purposes. You can even cut the toe divider out so socks fit in better.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

I like having them, mostly for airing and drying the feet once I'm in camp and the socks are off hanging.

Re. fords, I did a 46 mile hike on the Ozark Highlands Trail last Spring sans my camp shoes. The 4 fords reminded my why I like camp shoes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++