WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Alternate routes/collegiate peaks

Hey everyone! I'm planning to hike the CT this year and have been reading lots of information on here and elsewhere for some time. I have a question about alternate routes. I'll probably go for Massive and Elbert. I'm also planning to go over Hope Pass and then do the Missouri Gulch alternate with Belford, Oxford, and Missouri. My question is whether I should go over Elkhead pass and continue to the older CT or make my way back to the CDT(which I assume is the new CT that will then go through the Collegiates) from Missouri by way of an eastern route from Clohesy Lake to Huron Peak (I've read that there's not much of a trail this way)and then down the western side. I know there are some 14ers on the older CT but I've heard this new part of the CT is supposed to be really nice. What are the pro's and cons of these choices? Thanks for your input!

Eric

I highly recommend the Missouri Gulch hike. Not often you get to climb three 14'ers in a day. Much easier to connect to the eastern trail via Pine Creek than the western trail. Clohesy to the trail via Huron seems like a rough way to go. You could also go from Clohesy to Pear Lake then connect via North Texas Creek, but I hear that is fairly rough in places as well.

I would suggest connecting to the east on this hike, then returning the following year when 25+ more miles of new ridgetop trail opens on the west side. I've been on a lot of that new part and it is going to be phenomenal when finished.

Thanks for the response bearcreek! With the difficulty going west from missouri gulch aside, how would you rate the scenery and overall beauty of the west vs the east in its current condition? I'm always up for some challenge and feel I could work a little on my off-trail abilities.

Is the new trail that's being created CDT as well? Someday I hope to hike the entire CDT, so hopefully I'll get the chance in the future to hike this new trail! I'll definitely need more experience on the PCT or AT before I go for the CDT, so probably a few years off though.

Are the 14ers on the east side worth climbing? What are your favorites?

New CT Collegiate West IS the CDT, Twin Lakes to Top South Fooses Creek.

From the traditional CT "Collegiate East," Mts. Yale and Princeton probably have the shortest approaches from the CT. For Princeton you'd hike a jeep road to it's end and then the most common trail route to the top. For Yale you'd leave the CT on a wispy ridge-line trail (not the most commonly used route) reportedly struggle a bit staying on the path as you ascend because you can't always see it from below, but find the route very straightforward; staying on the skinny trail is reportedly easier on the descent.

Great to know! Thanks! I'll probably do the east this year and come back for the west later when the new trail is finished.

++ New Posts ++