WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: underquilts

Default underquilts

Hey guys. I'm planning on a mid march NoBo at thru in 2014 but getting all my ducks in order now so I have time to get use to it. My question is would I be better suited to get a 20* or 40* underquilt? With the 40 I could overstuff 2oz and bring it to 30* hypotheticaly. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the hammock gear incubator but have looked at the phoenix for the weight savings. Any input would be great. Thanks

Depends on how warm you sleep I think. I'd recommend going out when temps are similar and trying out your set up ahead of time to see how it performs. You have enough time to get a couple and test them out, they are easy enough to sell either here or on HF.

I have a full size 20* UQ from UGQ that's I've been using all year long. It's too much for summer and most importantly takes up quite a bit of room in my pack and when packing my bike. I just got a 40* Phoenix (with 2oz overstuff) but have yet to field test it. I've been testing it in my garage last few days with the temp in the low 40's high 30's and I could definitely take it a bit lower. Interestingly enough the stuff sacks supplied by both manufacturers are almost identical in size even though 1 is a full size and the other 3/4. I'm personally thinking of starting out with the full 20* and then swapping out for the Phoenix once it warms up.

If I had to pick just one, I would get a 20* Phoenix. HYOH!

BTW my 20* UGQ Zeppelin (2oz overstuff) weighs 27.24oz vs my 40* Phoenix (2 oz overstuff) comes in at exactly 16oz, stuff sacks included.

Thanks. I sleep pretty warm. I'm new to hammocking. This is my first year with one. The 20* is what I've been thinking. Will I really even need and underquilt in the summer months? And should I go with a 20* overquilt also?

Most people need something to insulate from below at somewhere around 70 and below. In my experience I would agree.

If $ is not an issue you could opt to start with a 20* TQ and drop down to a 40* along the way. Or even lose the TQ entirely in the summer and just wear your warmer clothes to sleep. I would take an UQ over a TQ in the summer months though and in fact have, as long as I have enough warm clothes (and depending on the night time low), I'm fine.

Again experiment before the hike to dial everything in. You could also look at getting your gear used either here or at HF, test it out, if its not working like you thought, you could probably sell it for what you paid for it.

Thanks man. I really apreciate your help

for what its worth, i just use a 20* uq and loosen it up when the temps get warmer ,up to about 70*. then i dont use an uq.
    as for the tq, iwould recommend the 20* you will probably get more use out of it than a summer quilt, and will certainly need it in the early and late months of your hike

That's what I've been thinking. There's so many options its hard to pick. Haha thanks for the help.

Images

here is my phoneix 20 degree with 2 oz over fill and my claytor jungle hammock and tarp.it only got down to 27 degrees that nightneo

20 degree phoneix.jpg

Do your feet stay warm with the phoenix or do you use a pad under them? Also does anyone know if they make underquilts in camo? I've sent a couple of emails to them but haven't heard back.

Not sure about HG, if you're handy you can try and make one yourself, easy enough to get camo on your own. I know Paul at UGQ offers various colour combos and can no doubt do one in camo. I have both UQ's and TQ's from him in various colours (but not camo), but I also love the black and green on the Phoenix.

Oh and my feet do not stay warm, even with a TQ. My feet compress the down in the TQ which results in the same problem if you went without a UQ and just laid on top of the TQ - it doesn't work. You'll want something under your feet, if you have a sit pad you can use that.

I used a 40deg with overfill from hammock gear. It's the 3/4length and slept fine until temps dipped below 30. I picked up a partial thermarest pad in a hiker box and used that for underneath my core. I was okay to about 10deg (that was the lowest temp I was at), but I also wore pants, LS shirt, beanie, and ultralight down jacket to bed. The TQ was also a 40deg. Biggest problem is rolling onto my side and the TQ would come off and then I'd get cold. But, it was just 'cause I wasn't covered. If you did it that way, you could just ditch the thermarest when its consistently above freezing at night.

Thanks guys. I apreciate the help.

++ New Posts ++