WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Garbage.

Default Garbage.

We are heading South from Maine in June or July, we plan to hike the Maine section...my question is this....Are there any dustbins along the trail? An Englishman doesn't like to carry his rubbish along with him if at all possible. if the answer is no, is it acceptable to carefully place your garbage in someone else's pack while they are sleeping? Someone who is a strong advocate of such things obviously? Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Fur Queue View Post
    is it acceptable to carefully place your garbage in someone else's pack while they are sleeping?
    Try this and report back with pictures

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Yes, please do!

2013 Alleged Thru-Hiker Chuckie V's Avatar
    No Fixed Address (Though usually found in CO)

Are there any dustbins along the trail? An Englishman doesn't like to carry his rubbish along with him if at all possible.
    I learned this about the English on my recent Pennine Way trek; it seemed there was litter lining the route, though often times it had been carefully stuffed between rocks (even on Hadrian's Wall and other Roman ruins). But the litter did serve one advantage in that it helped me find my way through the moors and all those nasty bogs! I say to give your tactic a shot while others are sleeping; it'll add some much needed spice to your walk!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    I will be in the same area, about the same time, going the same direction. I will be carrying my canon slr xsi. I will supply the pictures if this is attempted. I suspect if this was attempted, one might be stripped of all clothes and sacrificed to the black flies.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I will be in the same area, about the same time, going the same direction. I will be carrying my canon slr xsi. I will supply the pictures if this is attempted. I suspect if this was attempted, one might be stripped of all clothes and sacrificed to the black flies.
    I can tell that some extra stealth and cunning will need to come into play....I will be looking for the guy with the Canon dsi...shouldn't be too difficult to spot!

You're hilarious. Funniest thing I've read on here in awhile. Oh wait; you're being serious.

hello fur queue try this on me and you find out what I do to you do not be stupid and do that put your rubbish in a seperate plastic bag and when you can dump it in a garbage can . I tell you you wont make any friend wiht your idea just a suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by joe cool View Post
    hello fur queue try this on me and you find out what I do to you do not be stupid and do that put your rubbish in a seperate plastic bag and when you can dump it in a garbage can . I tell you you wont make any friend wiht your idea just a suggestion
    Oh relax......

Stir Fry

This need to be in the hiker humor section
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Journal Entries
    Images

bad trolling

A proper Englishman would have a servant carry his refuse.

Journal Entries

You'll find a bit of dust in Maine, especially when rains are scarce, but no bins for either dust or even general hiker trash. A few towns have public trash bins, but most of the small towns that the trail goes through don't. Your best bet is to find a friendly store with a trash bucket outside. Be prepared to fight if a fellow hiker finds you rummaging through their pack, whether you are removing or depositing things. It violates current hiker rules about leaving no trace, and going light. MATC assigns a maintainer to each trail section and shelter with orders to carry out any trash left behind by hikers. Knowing this a few hikers leave their trash at shelters. But violators quickly become known and face potential arrest for violating Maine's litter laws.

I can tell that some extra stealth and cunning will need to come into play....I will be looking for the guy with the Canon dsi...shouldn't be too difficult to spot!
    I won't be hard to spot. I will be the guy with a stringer of trout in one hand and cup of coffee in the other. Stealth will be difficult. I grew up in these woods. I hunted her game, trapped her fur, and ate from her streams. Some flat lander from away won't succeed in sneaking up on me in my back yard. Litterers beware.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 01-21-2013 at 18:02.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Stir Fry View Post
    This need to be in the hiker humor section
    I have to believe he is kidding. That is why I have replied the way I have. If he isn't, he won't survive on the trail. He might just be trying to stir the pot. Either way, he's joking or a joke.

Hard to take someone serious with a forum name like that.

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    You'll find a bit of dust in Maine, especially when rains are scarce, but no bins for either dust or even general hiker trash. A few towns have public trash bins, but most of the small towns that the trail goes through don't. Your best bet is to find a friendly store with a trash bucket outside. Be prepared to fight if a fellow hiker finds you rummaging through their pack, whether you are removing or depositing things. It violates current hiker rules about leaving no trace, and going light. MATC assigns a maintainer to each trail section and shelter with orders to carry out any trash left behind by hikers. Knowing this a few hikers leave their trash at shelters. But violators quickly become known and face potential arrest for violating Maine's litter laws.
    Do you have a list of the "current hiker rules"?

Images

A droll troll, sending a big "Fur Queue" to WB.

But in a funny way.

Nothing worse than going to use a tree phone and finding some Englishmans shoved some rubbish in the change dispenser.

Quote Originally Posted by Karma13 View Post
    A droll troll, sending a big "Fur Queue" to WB.

But in a funny way.
    I am not convinced that he is real either. I figure if he is trying to have fun at our expense, why not return the favor. If he is just having fun, we should too. If he is truly ignorant, I don't have the heart to give any serious admonishment to someone this far detached from reality.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++