WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    ...So untrue, life is anything but low impact, like the brutality, you need to embrace the impact.
    It's the new year do you still have those aches and pains? Do you still have a gut? Maybe you need to get off the computer and go for a run...Whatever you do stay away...far, far away from those evil elliptical machines

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...f=running&_r=1

Question: Is there any scientific study to substantiate the claim that older people (over 45) should limit high impact exercises such as jogging, sprinting, etc.?

Answer:

Actually, much of the recent science about high-impact exercise by “older people” like me — I prefer the term “seasoned,” by the way — reaches the opposite conclusion, suggesting that in many cases high-impact exercise can be beneficial for those middle aged and beyond. A seminal 2003 study of people aged 30 to past 70, for instance, found that while sedentary adults lost about 10 percent of their maximal endurance capacity every decade, young and middle-aged athletes who regularly engaged in intense and high-impact exercise, such as running intervals, experienced a much slower decline, losing only about 5 percent of their capacity per decade until age 70, when the loss of capacity accelerated for everyone.

There is also little evidence to support the widespread belief that high-impact exercise speeds the onset of arthritis. In a 2013 study, adult runners, including many aged 45 or older, had a lower incidence of knee osteoarthritis and hip replacement than age-matched walkers, with the adults who accumulated the most mileage over the course of seven years having the lowest risk, possibly, the study’s author speculated, because running improved the health of joint cartilage and kept them lean as they aged.

Similarly, a 2006 review of studies about jogging and joints concluded that “long-distance running does not increase the risk of osteoarthritis of the knees and hips for healthy people who have no other counter-indications for this kind of physical activity,” and “might even have a protective effect against joint degeneration.”

Running and similar high-impact activities likewise have a salutary effect on bone density, said Dr. Michael Joyner, an exercise physiologist at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and an expert on aging athletes, of whom he is one. Over all, he continued, he is “skeptical” of the idea that older people should avoid high-impact activities. “A lot of concerns about age-appropriate exercise modalities have turned out to be more speculative than real over the years,” he said, adding that during his research and personal workouts, he’s seen many seasoned adults pounding the pavement without ill effects.

It's the new year do you still have those aches and pains? Do you still have a gut? Maybe you need to get off the computer and go for a run...Whatever you do stay away...far, far away from those evil elliptical machines

Who knew? Pedaling Fool is a nurturer care giver self help guru personal trainer motivational speaker. Do you have a book or CD set available for sale?

Stand up. Stand up. Stand up and walk around.
    Stand up. Stand up. Stand up and walk all around.

All there is to it.

"It's just walkin"

....breaking my balls...

Replacing the time spent on internet forums with exercise - both cardio and weight training - would be a massive change for the better for many. If you spend more time posting than working out....

If some of things you do to stay healthy are on the below list of unsubstantiated "facts", then you can reconsider and possibly drop those practices.

These lists come out from time to time and many times they are the same ol' stuff, but I was impressed with the inclusion of the myths of Saturated Fats and cholesterol. Finally, the BS is being beaten back

http://www.realclearscience.com/list...s_health_tips/

For those who want to continue hiking into their 70s and beyond, the plan is simple:

1. Keep your body weight down.
    2. Protect your knees.
    3. Walk at least 10,000 steps a day.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    For those who want to continue hiking into their 70s and beyond, the plan is simple:

1. Keep your body weight down.
    2. Protect your knees.
    3. Walk at least 10,000 steps a day.

+1 Shutter bug.

1. Keep your body weight down. workin on this one

2. Protect your knees. to late, they're shot.

3. Walk at least 10,000 steps a day. I'm all over this, for about ten years now

Images

Don't eat bacon don't eat hot dogs

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post

Lies! Lies! Lies!
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Don't eat bacon
    You should be kicked in the shin.

Knocks me outta the box.

Images

10000 steps. I have an App for that !
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    10000 steps. I have an App for that !

in case people didn't know.

How far is 10,000 steps anyway? The average person's stride length is approximately 2.5 feet long. That means it takes just over 2,000 steps to walk one mile, and 10,000 steps is close to 5 miles.

That's s bit of walking, for those who are too committed to a car..... I'm glad I bought new walking shoes.
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    in case people didn't know.

How far is 10,000 steps anyway? The average person's stride length is approximately 2.5 feet long. That means it takes just over 2,000 steps to walk one mile, and 10,000 steps is close to 5 miles.

That's s bit of walking, for those who are too committed to a car..... I'm glad I bought new walking shoes.
    I just got back from a 23,000 step walk, I'm beat!

just checked, it was 13.5 miles, been a while since I laid down that kind of mileage. feels good!
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 06-07-2014 at 01:11.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I just got back from a 23,000 step walk, I'm beat!
    Oh yeah?

I watched "Orange is the New black" for 8 hours and had a peperoni pizza.

I'm very lucky there was 13 steps needed to reach the soda for another can of sprite.
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    Oh yeah?

I watched "Orange is the New black" for 8 hours and had a peperoni pizza.

I'm very lucky there was 13 steps needed to reach the soda for another can of sprite.
    I've had those unhealthy Friday nights as well, in fact I feel one comin on soon

Any of you see President Obama's workout regimen. That's a good example of what NOT to do...Geez, I was cringing for the guy...very

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Lies! Lies! Lies!
    Didn't say i don't eat it. I love BLTs and eggs and bacon.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    If some of things you do to stay healthy are on the below list of unsubstantiated "facts", then you can reconsider and possibly drop those practices.

These lists come out from time to time and many times they are the same ol' stuff, but I was impressed with the inclusion of the myths of Saturated Fats and cholesterol. Finally, the BS is being beaten back

http://www.realclearscience.com/list...s_health_tips/
    Well, I have and been reading skeptic articles like this one for years (as I am one myself), and don't disagree, but in any case, I love the line: "...health tips get passed around more than a dooby at a Colorado rock concert".

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++