WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    I like this article because it seems to confirm my belief that life is all about stress and constantly overcoming challenges. In other words, mother nature or mother earth doesn't nourish us, she always seems to be attempting to exploit our weaknesses against us and our survival.

It seems as though eating is not just about mother nature's way of nourishing you and replenishing vitally needed nutrients and calories, but it's also about stressing you. Just another example of food, admittingly in my mind, not as important to nutrition as many seem to say. At least it argues against super foods. And it's also very critical against supplements.

I don't believe you can just eat what you want, rather it's more important to limit the amount we eat for true health and accompany that with rigorous exercise. In the beginning of this thread some tried to separate fitness and health, but I believe in many aspects you can't. If you want true health, fitness must be part of that effort, but I agree too much focus on fitness can be counter productive to health, but also too much emphasis on diet and not enough on fitness can be detrimental to overall health.

And that mindset of super foods seems to be the focus of many promoters of healthy living, i.e. they are always coming up with some sort of so-called super food, but on the exercise front they seem to think all that is needed is 30 minutes/4 times per week of moderate aerobic exercise. That's bull. You must stress yourself so you can be strong to withstand the challenges of nature.

http://nautil.us/issue/15/turbulence...ng-to-kill-you

It's a long article, so I'll only copy a few excerpts:

"You probably try to exercise regularly and eat right. Perhaps you steer toward “superfoods,” fruits, nuts, and vegetables advertised as “antioxidant,” which combat the nasty effects of oxidation in our bodies. Maybe you take vitamins to protect against “free radicals,” destructive molecules that arise normally as our cells burn fuel for energy, but which may damage DNA and contribute to cancer, dementia, and the gradual meltdown we call aging.

Warding off the diseases of aging is certainly a worthwhile pursuit. But evidence has mounted to suggest that antioxidant vitamin supplements, long assumed to improve health, are ineffectual. Fruits and vegetables are indeed healthful but not necessarily because they shield you from oxidative stress. In fact, they may improve health for quite the opposite reason: They stress you.

That stress comes courtesy of trace amounts of naturally occurring pesticides and anti-grazing compounds. You already know these substances as the hot flavors in spices, the mouth-puckering tannins in wines, or the stink of Brussels sprouts. They are the antibacterials, antifungals, and grazing deterrents of the plant world. In the right amount, these slightly noxious substances, which help plants survive, may leave you stronger."

"For Michael Ristow, a researcher of energy and metabolism at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich, the inconsistencies became impossible to overlook. In worms, he found that neutralizing those allegedly toxic ROS reduced lifespan, so he designed a similar experiment in humans.

He had 39 male volunteers exercise regularly over several weeks; half took vitamin supplements before working out. The results, published in 2009, continue to reverberate throughout the field of exercise physiology, and beyond. Volunteers who took large doses of vitamins C and E after training failed to benefit from the workout. Their muscles didn’t become stronger; insulin sensitivity, a measure of metabolic health, didn’t improve; and increases in native antioxidants, such as glutathione, didn’t occur.

Exercise accelerates the burning of fuel by your cells. If you peer into muscles after a jog, you’ll see a relative excess of those supposedly dangerous ROS—exhaust spewed from our cellular furnaces, the mitochondria. If you examine the same muscle some time after a run, however, you’ll find those ROS gone.

In their place you’ll see an abundance of native antioxidants. That’s because, post-exercise, the muscle cells respond to the oxidative stress by boosting production of native antioxidants. Those antioxidants, amped up to protect against the oxidant threat of yesterday’s exercise, now also protect against other ambient oxidant dangers."

Mark Mattson, Chief of the Laboratory of Neurosciences at the National Institute on Aging, has studied how plant chemicals, or phytochemicals, affect our cells (in test tubes) for years. The assumption in the field has long been that, like vitamins, phytochemicals are directly antioxidant. But Mattson and others think they work indirectly. Much like exercise, he’s found, phytochemicals stress our bodies in a way that leaves us stronger.

Plants, Mattson explains, live a stationary life. They cannot respond to pathogens, parasites, and grazers as we might—by moving. To manage the many threats posed by mobile life, as well as heat, drought, and other environmental stresses, they’ve evolved a remarkable number of defensive chemicals.

Health doesn’t result solely from the instructions your genome contains, but your relationship with the world.

It's not just humans that must fight to survive. Reading articles like this always gets me thinking about evolution and that just blows my mind. Also, it really does give you an appreciation for plants that live, they are not just some non-living foodsource that mother nature provides to nourish us in a "humane loving way"; they don't like us eating them

PETP -- People for the Ethical Treatment of Plants

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...l#.U9EK37G9ZmN

Excerpt:

"
    We've all eaten something that doesn't agree with us, but probably not on the scale that moose do. They eat a grass that is so toxic, it can make animals' hooves fall off.

Yet the moose are resolutely hoofed, suggesting they have a way to counteract the toxin. That makes sense: evolution would favour moose that could handle more of the toxin. There are precedents: some baboons have chemicals in their saliva that bind to toxins in their food, rendering them harmless, and some plant-eating insects go even further and actually deactivate plants' defence systems.

No-one thought that backboned animals could pull off the insects' trick, but now it's been discovered that moose can switch off a plant's toxic defences at source. They do it using a mystery chemical in their saliva that interferes with the signalling processes inside the plant. In effect, moose can detoxify their food by licking it"

I love pilates... It strengthens the core and as a result helps if you have back pain. I'm walking, jogging, hiking and doing so step aerobic fitness and also pilates... I do a mixture of everything in the hope it'll get me up those mountains

Another good illustration of how weight training isn't some mindless activity for muscle heads. This is a 91-y/o lady that took a fall, which lead to her taking up weight training at Mark Rippetoe's Gym http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/about#site

She now no longer uses a walker to get around and hasn't fallen since.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3585w9FmOGs

One of the best exercises for core is to get a shovel, go out and dig a hole 3 feet deep and 4 feet wide, then fill it in...come back day after tomorrow and repeat. Good stuff, make ya sleep well too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Another good illustration of how weight training isn't some mindless activity for muscle heads. This is a 91-y/o lady that took a fall, which lead to her taking up weight training at Mark Rippetoe's Gym http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/about#site

She now no longer uses a walker to get around and hasn't fallen since.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3585w9FmOGs
    that's amazing.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    that's amazing.
    The older you get, the more important some resistance training is to preserving quality of life.
    At least if you are sedentary, which most geriatrics are.

The most important things, are to be active, and not overweight. The human body needs activity.

Peoples lives unfortunately dont necessitate any significant level of physical activity anymore. None.
    And most are too weak-minded to pursue any on their own.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-09-2015 at 15:18.

I've never been to a gym.

I haven't lifted weights since high school.

I haven't been to a doctor in 25 years (other than some guinea pig studies).

I go to the woods. I go to the woods by foot, I go to the woods by bike, I go to the woods by canoe.

Go to the woods.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

The Primal Blueprint at Mark's Daily Apple works for me (I do crossfit as well, works great, no injuries, fine folks).
    Ignore the haters.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    The Primal Blueprint at Mark's Daily Apple works for me (I do crossfit as well, works great, no injuries, fine folks).
    Ignore the haters.
    +1 .

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

One reason that I hike is that it's just about the only strenuous exercise that I can actually stand. Anything else I've tried, I would face a struggle making it part of a routine. The best exercise is the one you actually do.

I do walk to work, just over a mile each way, with a day pack that outweighs what I carry for a weekend in the woods. That at least gets me moving a little bit.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I seen some sad videos on youtube where middle aged to retirement age thru hikers are bailing out early due to injury. Usually its the knee. I think the best things to do if you are going to attempt a thru hike is try to get your weight down, not just your pack weight but your body weight too. Cardio and strength training helps but I also would do basic ankle,knee, and back stretching and strengthening exercises every other day. It not only helps with hiking, but seems to help me reduce the every day ache and pains of getting older.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungOne View Post
    Cardio and strength training helps but I also would do basic ankle,knee, and back stretching and strengthening exercises every other day. It not only helps with hiking, but seems to help me reduce the every day ache and pains of getting older.
    Those "everyday aches and pains of getting older" have a way of creeping up on you. It was just a little while ago that I was young - or so it seems. Now I have a pain here and there that I wonder about (is it arthritis? did I tear something? do I need a joint replacement already?) But it's getting better.

In the past six months or so, I've been increasing my activity level, with some regular walking, and recently some weight lifting. Not too long ago, I tried to jog just a little bit. It was sad how little I could do without getting out of breath. Jog 10 seconds, walk 5 minutes, jog 10 seconds, walk 5 minutes. I couldn't remember the last time I ran - years and years ago. After a few weeks of off-and-on jogging/walking, I am doing much better, and actually am enjoying it. Now it's more like jog 45 seconds, walk 30 seconds. I walk to catch my breath, and look forward to running again in a few yards. I feel stronger and leaner. Not where I want to be yet, but the improvements are real, visible, and motivating.

Most weekends, my husband and I are exploring some of the easily accessible but ignored trails in the Smokies. Recently, we walked the Meigs Creek Trail, and then ran about a third of the Lumber Ridge Trail to Tremont (4+ miles). Yeah, it was an easy trail, but doing this was unthinkable just a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Those "everyday aches and pains of getting older" have a way of creeping up on you. It was just a little while ago that I was young - or so it seems. Now I have a pain here and there that I wonder about (is it arthritis? did I tear something? do I need a joint replacement already?) But it's getting better.

In the past six months or so, I've been increasing my activity level, with some regular walking, and recently some weight lifting. Not too long ago, I tried to jog just a little bit. It was sad how little I could do without getting out of breath. Jog 10 seconds, walk 5 minutes, jog 10 seconds, walk 5 minutes. I couldn't remember the last time I ran - years and years ago. After a few weeks of off-and-on jogging/walking, I am doing much better, and actually am enjoying it. Now it's more like jog 45 seconds, walk 30 seconds. I walk to catch my breath, and look forward to running again in a few yards. I feel stronger and leaner. Not where I want to be yet, but the improvements are real, visible, and motivating.

Most weekends, my husband and I are exploring some of the easily accessible but ignored trails in the Smokies. Recently, we walked the Meigs Creek Trail, and then ran about a third of the Lumber Ridge Trail to Tremont (4+ miles). Yeah, it was an easy trail, but doing this was unthinkable just a few months ago.
    What you are doing sounds similar to the Couch to 5K routine. I always wanted to try it.
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

GAME 06

I will admit I didn't read all the posts - just too many - but I did not see the below mentioned in the first 4 pages.

One of the absolute best forms of activity for overall fitness and health - especially for those in their middle and later years is swimming.

For a long distance hiker it is a great mix up and boy does it work you to death in a totally non-impact way.

I swam only 2500 yards this morning at about 90% all out and here it is 1 pm and I still feel like I worked hard. But not a pain in the world just tired. An hour of intense swimming for me feels like about 5 hours with a pack. And on days where I am sore from hiking to far to fast or something I can go swimming and in about 5 laps all the soreness is gone and when I get done it normally does not come back.

Plus it is a handy skill for those big steam crossings if it turns out to be a little deep.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Not too long ago, I tried to jog just a little bit. It was sad how little I could do without getting out of breath. Jog 10 seconds, walk 5 minutes, jog 10 seconds, walk 5 minutes. I couldn't remember the last time I ran - years and years ago. After a few weeks of off-and-on jogging/walking, I am doing much better, and actually am enjoying it. Now it's more like jog 45 seconds, walk 30 seconds. I walk to catch my breath, and look forward to running again in a few yards. I feel stronger and leaner. Not where I want to be yet, but the improvements are real, visible, and motivating. .
    FOR ME I started learning to control my breathing and jogging became easier. I could go further distances. Just wanted to pass the tip along. Good luck and keep moving

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

Running is one of those activities that is so difficult for most in the beginning that you just can't imagine how you could come to love it, but you do -- you just gotta stick with it until you break on thru to the other side.

And don't worry about walking some, that's perfectly natural -- even the pros, the people that get paid to run, must walk once in a while. In a lot of ways it's a lot like walking up and down mountains, most people hate that burning feeling in their lungs and legs, along with all the other pains associated with it and those that don't hike just can't understand the appeal.

But it's all about breaking on thru to the other side https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJQwnAhXnBk:)

Journal Entries

63° in Knoxville mid-day with overcast skies - much too nice to sit at a desk. Spent half my lunch break at the nearby 2.2 mile greenway, and I'm pretty sure I ran about half of it. Makes me feel young again!

Pedalingfool, your post totally cracked me up. I agree whole heartedly. ....

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Right now the healthiest thing I can do, says my doc, is stay on the couch with my leg up until my knee is a little better.

It s*ks (*). I want to be toting a backpack through the balsam and spruce, which I hear is ordinarily a pretty durned healthy thing to be doing.
    ----
    (*) s*ks is obviously a contraction of 'stinks'.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

But it's all about breaking on thru to the other side https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJQwnAhXnBk:)
    Get me a little Doors today...luvin it
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
++ New Posts ++