WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default How to carry your Sriracha

I am very fond of the Korean Hot Sauce known as Sriracha - you may be too. I have discovered a great way to toss a weeks supply in your food bag by repackaging it in a kid's "squeezable fruit" container.
    For the record, I support kids eating real fruit with no packaging but this container can be empties and re-filled with Sriracha really well. Hope this tips helps your tastebuds. Here is a link to the squeezable fruit and another for Sriracha (in the unlikely case you aren't familiar with it). Both are available at most big grocery stores.

PACKAGING:

www.rei.com/product/824244/peter-rabbit-organics-fruit-squeeze-pouch-4-oz,-mango/banana/orange?preferredSku=8242440003&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-pla-_-product-_-8242440003&mr:referralID=00e19d2a-64ea-11e2-97b3-001b2166becc

SRIRACHA:

www.culinarydistrict.com/14074.html

ENJOY!
    Last edited by Papa D; 01-22-2013 at 19:26.

Sriracha is potent and yummy, but I doubt I'd carry it on the trail. I happen to grow a lot of hot peppers and have several Thai hot plants drying near the woodstove. Once the moisture leaves, I just pulverize them (mortar and pestle or blender, depending), and store them in glass containers. The heat lasts for years, and a little goes a very long way.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    Sriracha is potent and yummy, but I doubt I'd carry it on the trail. I happen to grow a lot of hot peppers and have several Thai hot plants drying near the woodstove. Once the moisture leaves, I just pulverize them (mortar and pestle or blender, depending), and store them in glass containers. The heat lasts for years, and a little goes a very long way.
    nice - I sometimes get a super extracted hot sauce (link below) that is incredibly hot - I dilute it with a little balsamic vinegar and store it in a vial - - it's beyond belief hot (and tasty)

You Tube:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC9aXL3Cdy4

Buy:
    www.hotsauceworld.com/youcanhanthi.html

please be careful with this stuff - it will burn your eyes very easily - - be really, really careful, please

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

This doesn't answer your question, but I like Sriracha and I like trivia, so ... Sriracha isn't really Korean, or Thai, or Vietnamese, or any Asian-country based. It was invented by a Chinese immigrant in Los Angeles in the '80s. The inventor claims he created it "for the Asian community," but it quickly became ubiquitous and people use it for every type of cuisine, high and low, now. I've never taken it hiking because I didn't have a good way of storing it, but I like your idea.

This article has a good history of Sriracha.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SCRUB HIKER View Post
    This doesn't answer your question, but I like Sriracha and I like trivia, so ... Sriracha isn't really Korean, or Thai, or Vietnamese, or any Asian-country based. It was invented by a Chinese immigrant in Los Angeles in the '80s. The inventor claims he created it "for the Asian community," but it quickly became ubiquitous and people use it for every type of cuisine, high and low, now. I've never taken it hiking because I didn't have a good way of storing it, but I like your idea.

Nice - thanks - I always thought it was Korean - good to learn things

Journal Entries
    Images

The Mio bottle can do the same thing just twist and it pops with a 1/2 inch hole
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    The Mio bottle can do the same thing just twist and it pops with a 1/2 inch hole
    hum - cool - I had to google Mio - never heard of it. thx

Thank you, this is easily the most useful thread on the site (not sarcasm)!

I carried the whole bottle as is and it was fine. Did not last long. Many groceries sell it in the smaller 8 oz plastic jars as well

Funny story... I asked my girlfriend to send me hot sauce in my first box and specifically asked that it be in a plastic bottle. I get to Gorham open my box and there it is 1.1 pounds of hot sauce.. careful what you ask for.. it just blew my mind, she saw me weighing everything even my tent stakes then she sends me a pound of hot sauce. It was funny, even the day hikers got a laugh about it. Hot sauce is my non-negotiable weight.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    I carried the whole bottle as is and it was fine. Did not last long. Many groceries sell it in the smaller 8 oz plastic jars as well
    you did - seriously - cool - I carried a bottle of Cholula one time and thought that was sort of cumbersome

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

dehydrate it, then coarsely grind it

Best Backpack-able hot sauce so far are the Texas Pete sauce packs you find at Chic-Fil-A.

Just found these though.
    http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Chili-...+sauce+packets

I hadn't thought of this before. I think I'll pack some in a small Nalgene.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I use sriracha at home, but on the trail I use tabasco in that really small bottle. Have to use too much sriracha to get the desired heat; tabasco is much more efficeient.

Has anyone seen or tried these? You gotta love the bottle artwork and sell copy.
    http://www.hotsauceworld.com/hottest-hot-sauce.html

Journal Entries

If your looking for a great variety of hot sauces try The Hot Shoppe in Oswego, NY http://hotshoppe.com/
    Blackheart

that's potty mouth hot sauce, for sure. good for a laugh. I guess I'll just stick with my little thai hots and ho chi minhs. never mix, never worry.

Quote Originally Posted by SCRUB HIKER View Post

Scrub Hiker,
    i just wanted to take a quick second to thank you for your posts. They're always intelligent, level headed and often funny. Keep it up

but crappy hot sauce IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Best Backpack-able hot sauce so far are the Texas Pete sauce packs you find at Chic-Fil-A.

Just found these though.
    http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Chili-...+sauce+packets

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++