WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

So what's a Chicago style hot dog?
    I use the handle of a flyswatter, take off the swatter part, bend the forks to a more usable position, for sausages, marshmallows etc.

Default Roasting Hot Dogs in the vertical position

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I use the handle of a flyswatter, take off the swatter part, bend the forks to a more usable position, for sausages, marshmallows etc.
    And do you go back to swatting flies with it when you're done?

Journal Entries

To think all this time Ive just been heating them in hot water.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Friend of mine is a so homophobic... he eats his hot dogs from the middle out.

Images

I love hot dogs, but I think I'll stay with the old wiener on a stick over a campfire routine.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Wouldn't the aroma from the Alcohol mix in the Hot Dog and make them taste like crap, I think i will keep roasting mine on an open camp fire for better taste and enjoyment.

Images

i havent tried this method yet, but i would think by wrapping them in foil, one could avoid the alcohol flavoring the meat...........

I think fat breaks down alcohol...prolly not a huge difference in taste, only one way to tell, bon
    apatite.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I think fat breaks down alcohol...prolly not a huge difference in taste, only one way to tell, bon
    apatite.
    wait, switch that, alcohol is broken down by fat...wait, never mind, you get it.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    Wouldn't the aroma from the Alcohol mix in the Hot Dog and make them taste like crap, I think i will keep roasting mine on an open camp fire for better taste and enjoyment.
    The aroma is unburnt fuel and yes, that's my previous post. Not the taste so much but the poison of this fuel could get on and in the hotdog.

You are actually making a still by doing this, alcohol will evaporate at the heat source (not all is burnt), and condense on the hotdog 'cooled' Al Foil and on the dog (unless its a totally vapor proof seal - with foil is impossible - try to stop a vapor). The nature of alcohol, being 'water loving', would cause it to be absorbed into the dog once it condenses on it.

Again ethanol no problem (high proof grain alcohol), methanol (Heet& DA) and alcohol co-solvents (DA) not so much.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    The aroma is unburnt fuel and yes, that's my previous post. Not the taste so much but the poison of this fuel could get on and in the hotdog.

You are actually making a still by doing this, alcohol will evaporate at the heat source (not all is burnt), and condense on the hotdog 'cooled' Al Foil and on the dog (unless its a totally vapor proof seal - with foil is impossible - try to stop a vapor). The nature of alcohol, being 'water loving', would cause it to be absorbed into the dog once it condenses on it.

Again ethanol no problem (high proof grain alcohol), methanol (Heet& DA) and alcohol co-solvents (DA) not so much.
    Eat and get a buzz at the same time cooking with ethanol..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post

A Chicago hotdog is an all beef frank laid out on a poppy seed bun with all the fixins served on the corner of Maxwell and Halsted streets in Chicago. When I was a little tyke I was weened on CSHD’s J
    Maxwell street was an “open air” type of fleamarket event held every Sunday. I would think I am the only one here on the forum that has experienced that market.

https://alocalthing.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/max-out-at-maxwell/

Journal Entries
    Images

Four and a half years later, I say... ha haaaaa. I was hiking at Turkey Run State Park in Indiana last July. It was hot. The descents down a footworn glacial stream bed were perilous, and the 'skeeters were horrendous. When I got back to my car after ten miles of this, I blasted the AC, pulled out an iced down PBR (right in front of the Nature Center)
    and proceeded to wolf down cold mystery meat wiener after wiener in white buns with nothing but ketsup until I felt the energy returning to my overheated bod.
    It was glorious and I relive the moment often.

Quote Originally Posted by Toli View Post

+1 Dan... Got the same stove and it worked PERFECT!!! Genius... WOO doesn't even know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop... Whats he know about wieners

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    Four and a half years later, I say... ha haaaaa. I was hiking at Turkey Run State Park in Indiana last July. It was hot. The descents down a footworn glacial stream bed were perilous, and the 'skeeters were horrendous. When I got back to my car after ten miles of this, I blasted the AC, pulled out an iced down PBR (right in front of the Nature Center)
    and proceeded to wolf down cold mystery meat wiener after wiener in white buns with nothing but ketsup until I felt the energy returning to my overheated bod.
    It was glorious and I relive the moment often.
    Brings back a memory. Came off a bush wacking hike dehydrated and hungry as all getout. Drove 15min. to the nearest small town grocery store, gulped down 2 large bottles of cold water, ate 1/2 package of weiners and then 1 more bottle of water. Drove 20 min. to a mcdonalds and had lunch with plenty of Dr. Pepper to wash it down. :-) good times

Journal Entries
    Images

That's great! Things I ate when I was really hungry. To this day I get cravings for ice cold hot dogs with ketsup.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Brings back a memory. Came off a bush wacking hike dehydrated and hungry as all getout. Drove 15min. to the nearest small town grocery store, gulped down 2 large bottles of cold water, ate 1/2 package of weiners and then 1 more bottle of water. Drove 20 min. to a mcdonalds and had lunch with plenty of Dr. Pepper to wash it down. :-) good times

I Belushi'd a dog once...it wasn't worth the nickname that came with it...nor the offers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++