WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best THru-Hike Shorts

Ive been looking at the shorts on Amazon and am unable to decide which is the best and why. It seems that all the serious hiking shorts are not wool. But they are over 60% cotten and %40 Poly or 40% Nilon. Ive found these two shorts so far.

Kuhl Ramblr Short's
    74% cotton, 26% nylon. · Lighter, stronger and faster drying than canvas. · Fabric weight 5.1 oz/sq. yd; 172 GSM. · KühlairTM vent system for comfort. · Gusseted crotch. · New 3-D cell phone pocket. · 10" inseam. · Easy care, wash and wear
    Propper Black Lightweight Tactical Shorts F523350001
    [Lightweight 65% Polyester / 35% Cotton Ripstop Coated with DuPont Teflon, they repel liquids and stains in addition to being fade and wrinkle resistant. The shorts features a 10-inch inseam, snap-cap closure with French fly, heavy-duty reinforced seat, action stretch waistband, 11 pockets including two wallet pocket-in-a-pockets, two coin pockets, reinforced front pocket openings, a cell phone pocket large enough for a PDA, an extra large belt loops and a handy D-Ring for keys or tools

Blackhawk Men's Light Weight Tactical Short
    65% Poly/ 35% Cotton Ripstop 6.5 OZ with Teflon DWR 6.5 oz. poly/cotton ripstop fabric. Features: DuPont Teflon DWR (Durable Water Repellent) fabric treatment resists stains; high-quality YKK zippers and Prym snaps; gusseted crotch allows increased movement; extra-wide, reinforced belt loops accommodate BLACKHAWK! CQB/Rigger’s Belt and other belts up to 1.75” wide; silicone grip strip in waistband keeps shirt tucked; hidden, expandable waistband slides to increase waist size for increased mobility; angle-cut hand pockets have flat edges for proper placement and orientation of knives, pens, etc.; gusseted thigh and leg pockets for expansion as needed; zippered, rear hip pocket keeps wallet secure; hidden zipper pocket behind the right-hand pocket keeps valuable items secure; ample 11” inseam; and a traditional fit.

My suggestion? Boardshorts! I grew up in FL so I've been used to living in boardshorts. I took 1 pair to wear in town and then ended up getting a pair to hike in...why you ask? Here's the deal; they're super-light (non fancy ones will be about 5-7oz), they dry quick, they ventilate well, and they're comfortable...You don't need crazy pockets, that's what your pack is for...

Cheap nylon running/gym/tennis/basketball shorts work fine. I prefer pockets.

What about just a lion cloth? Ventilation at its best!

Too much trouble to hunt and skin the lion for the pelt, IMO.

Well, i already have the Kuhl Ramblr Pants. Like them alot. I may try the Kuhl Ramblr Short's

best hiking shorts I've ever used are Golite Mesa Trail Run Shorts... either 9" or 12". I only wish Golite would add pockets. They are currently out of stock, supposed to be in stock in mid Feb-2013.

http://www.golite.com/mens/run-and-hike

Images

I've used nylon gym shorts, "Hiking" shorts, Convertable shorts, and nylon running shorts. They all work. What kind of shorts you choose will play zero role in how your hike goes (for the most part). They can always be replaced along the way if you really have a problem with what you choose. One caveat: If you plan to carry your Ziploc trail wallet around town in your shorts pocket, make sure it will securely close in some way. Zipper, button, velcro. If it doesn't securely close - don't carry your "wallet" in it. Plastic bag in nylon shorts means NO friction. The bag will slide out of your pocket extremely easily.

Almost cost me a three week hike and LOTS of grief replacing credit/debit cards, insurance card, driver license, and cash. Only saving grace was honest customer, honest store employee and a fantastic shuttle driver that went WAY beyond his obligation in helping a hiker.

Images

No such beast exists.
    I only wear long pants.

surprised no kilt suggestions, but definetaly running shorts, the thinner the better, no cotton, dicks sporting goods had a good variety of these on sale in our local store earlier this week.

Quote Originally Posted by topshelf View Post
    surprised no kilt suggestions, but definetaly running shorts, the thinner the better, no cotton, dicks sporting goods had a good variety of these on sale in our local store earlier this week.
    Yep, no cotton, and light nylon running shorts work great.

The shorter the shorts the better (for me) I use 4" inseam Nike DRI fit running shorts. Perfection.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by topshelf View Post
    They're more expensive, and Mountain Hardwear hasn't restocked yet, but a kilt isn't a bad idea for those already considering wearing shorts.

Images

I love my campmor convertable pants. I've got all i need in one piece of clothing. on chilly mornings i start with the legs on. When i start to warm up, unzip the front of the legs to vent. if i start to over heat the legs come off. And i keep them in the top of my pack so if i get chilly when taking a break.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

+1 on zip off shorts from Campmor, Columbia, and others. Caveat: they're usually nylon, which will stretch/relax when damp (we all sweat), so an elastic waist is helpful. Stetching and weight loss = pants falling down.

I usually buy Ex-Officio zip-offs, or their shorts (100% nylon, no cotton), when I can find them on sale. I like the pockets and can trust their sizes.

I tend to most often wear and like 5" inseam Nike Drifit running shorts. I sometimes add bike tights under them if it is colder.

For conditions where I take zip off leg pants I like the inexpensive Word Wide Sportsman ones from Bass Pro. They are inexpensive, light weight and comfy. Be sure to get the nylon ones, not the cotton ones. They have a built in brief, but if you don't like that you can cut it out easily.

Another vote for board shorts. The best thing is they have a flat, wide waist that doesn't stretch and generally have a low profile tie front. They don't move or bunch under a waste belt. You can also find them in all sorts of ridiculous patterns.

Default Best THru-Hike Shorts

Board shorts! The reasons have been listed... Light, made to dry fast, can get with or without pockets, can find cheap ones, and the flat waist lines are great for pack comfort! And of course... YOU CAN GO STRAIGHT INTO THE WATERHOLE CAUSE YOURE WEARING A BATHING SUIT!!

Images

Fancy "hiking shorts" 40-75 dollars... gym shorts... already in your closet! Whenever I thru-hike I am always doing it in a pair or two of simple basketball shorts with two pockets for convenience. No need to over think it... breathable, dry fast, comfortable, cheap, and light!
    "you know a dream like this seems kind of vaguely ludicrous and completely unattainable. And for anybody who's on the downside of advantage and relying purely on courage: It's possible."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++