WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Apple House Shelter

Anyone have any info in this shelter?

I will be starting a 6 week section hike this Sunday and this shelter is tentatively on my list to stay at. I would love some more 411 about the shelter and area.

The Apple House shelter? It's a 6-person thing, with a stream right behind it. There's a road maybe a mile away. The shelter is "clean" and dry, even in rain. The entry is small, so there's not a lot of light inside. It's a fine place to stay, cuz of the water, but don't expect the shelter to be like the Hilton or that one just north of HF.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Just south (1/2 mile or so) of 19E and the first shelter you come to (heading northbound after dropping down off "The Humps". As already mentioned, the door to the shelter is rather narrow as opposed to the typical wide open 3 sided ones. So it darker inside than most. About a half dozen or so decent (flat) tent sites directly in front of and south of the shelter along the stream.

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

When I did that section and stayed near the shelter, I hung my hammock along side the creek and slept like a baby. The shelter is as the others have described it. Don't forget that the new trail north of there adds mileage before getting to the next shelter. I'm thinking the next shelter is almost 18m north of there??

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MDSHiker
    Don't forget that the new trail north of there adds mileage before getting to the next shelter. I'm thinking the next shelter is almost 18m north of there??
    ===========================
    YUP ...that's correct, the re-route in 2003 starts just a bit north of the crossing at 19E. Makes getting to Moreland Gap shelter a bit more of a stretch but it keeps you from having to hike through the "boggs".

'Slogger

There are many acrobatic mice there, lots of graffiti around, and a short, easy walk to the road. I think a lot of locals party here, so just be aware of that.

Sadly, there are no apples there.

Quote Originally Posted by bombayblue

I will be starting a 6 week section hike this Sunday and this shelter is tentatively on my list to stay at. I would love some more 411 about the shelter and area.
    Too close to the road for my comfort. Especially considering the many fine options to the south.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Thanks for the info. I was wondering what shape it would be in being so close to the road. If I'm there on the weekend I'll probably skip it and tent it somewhere else on the trail. Thanks again!

Images

Default Apple House Photo

Was through there weekend before last (5/28/05) and it looked ok. I have a photo on WB here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/sh...cat/500/page/1

Have a good hike.
    On average, 50% of my photos are better than the other half.

Images

Wow ...according to your picture they've widened the doorway somewhat. From my memory it used to be just as wide as the steps.

'Slogger
    AT 2003

Hey...you're right!! The door is bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by bombayblue

Update! I went by the shelter on Saturday. 2 Pak was sleeping on the step and said to me "you probably don't want to go in there. It smells like somone has been using the shelter as a toilet."

Plus, the shelter is listed as .5 miles from the road. It seemed more like .3 to me.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    Plus, the shelter is listed as .5 miles from the road. It seemed more like .3 to me.
    agree with that. I couldn't believe how close to the road it is. Doesn't the car noise keep people up at night?

Especially with all the recommendations not to park at 19e, it doesn't seem like the best of ideas to stay there. YMMV

Also, word is that they finished a shelter north of 19e in late May. We finished at 19e, but met a couple of section hikers who said that shelter was nice..wood

Bombay---

Everything folks have told you is correct....there's nothing really wrong with Apple House, except its location. It's too close to the highway (19E) and sometimes attracts the wrong element.

Whether you're hiking North or South in this section, I suggest you try and adjust your schedule so you can overnight instead at Overmountain Shelter instead of Apple House. It is one of, if not THE best-located shelter on the entire Trail and it'd be a shame if you missed it.

(Overmountain is a bit under eight miles SOUTH of Rt 19E; there's also a brand-new shelter that is NOT listed in the 2006 Guidebooks, Mountaineers Shelter, several miles NORTH of 19E. There are also tenting/camping possibilities if you don't feel the need to stay in a shelter).

Needs to be torn down. It's just an old dirty building with piles of crap all around it.

Everyone else has given you relevant information, so I'll give you the irrelevant lowdown. The Applehouse is an old powder house from a nearly quarry. The powder house is where they store explosives. Powder houses are constructed to self-destruct easily so they don't contain and intensify the explosion. You can scare your fellow campers with the idea that the shelter was constructed to disintegrate. Of course, the trail club that installed it also reinforced it so it is not as delicate as it had originally been, but you don't have to tell your companions that. Tell it well enough and you may get the whole dark, gloomy, mouse infested place to yourself.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Applehouse is a good place to stay if Mountain Harbor B&B is full up. But just to let you know, Apple House up to Bear Branch Bridge is known party spot. So every once in a while, when coming down from Roan/Hump, you will catch some yocals drinking up and having some fun.

Also, for section/day hikers, don't park your car at the trailhead. It has become a known vandalism spot.

The water source southbound of the shelter is reliable. But the water closer down to the road and across the highway is heavily polluted. Lots of trash and oil/antifreeze jugs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by buliwyf View Post
    Applehouse is a good place to stay if Mountain Harbor B&B is full up. But just to let you know, Apple House up to Bear Branch Bridge is known party spot. So every once in a while, when coming down from Roan/Hump, you will catch some yocals drinking up and having some fun.

Also, for section/day hikers, don't park your car at the trailhead. It has become a known vandalism spot.

The water source southbound of the shelter is reliable. But the water closer down to the road and across the highway is heavily polluted. Lots of trash and oil/antifreeze jugs.
    I can see why you say it's a good place to stay!

Journal Entries
    Images

It is usually used by hikers that do the Roan Trek all at once or on hot weather days. I wouldn't recommend staying there by yourself.

If your the camping type, there is Doll Flats a mile and half southbound of Apple House. Its a nice camping area with both open and shaded spots.

Northbound of Applehouse, there are a few spots. There is Jones Falls area on a blue blaze passed the Campbell Hollow Road crossing. But this also an area that yocals like to visit, especially horse riders and ATVers.

Elk River section is a very good area to camp. There is a large camping area at the river bend. Then if you jump off trail using a maintainence trail going towards Elk River Big Falls, there is a huge grassy area along the river next to a forest road.

The Eastman Club is in process of rerouting the AT from Bear Branch up to Walnut Mtn Road. At the current, a few local residents are not hiker friendly and abuse the trail due to the close proximity to a number of private property. The club is planning a re-route that could by-pass this.

Journal Entries
    Images

New water pipes in at the Apple House stream and up at the Doll Flats spring
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++