WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Easy Traveler Hammock Conversion

My last major purchase for my hike is shelter. I've thought about tarp tents, mostly, but hammocks crossed my mind tonight.

I have a Byer of Maine Easy Traveler Hammock.

http://www.byerofmaine.com/products/...traveller.html

I like it because it's light enough (especially if I swap out the nylon cord with lighter alternatives) and I already own it ($). I've used it before in bug- and rain-free warm weather and am wondering how much trouble it would be to trick it out into a complete thru-hike setup. From what I understand, that means I need the following:

- ridgeline
    - replacement cords & securing apparatus (lighter and more suitable)
    - slip-over bug net (mosquito or no-see-um?)
    - tarp
    - pad (which I already own) or underquilt (depends on low temp?)

I am starting my NOBO hike in mid-April with an estimated finish in mid-September.

What do you think? Can it be done? Is it more trouble that it's worth (as compared to purchasing a more complete system)? I'm trying to keep costs down as well.

Ridgelines are only necessary if you choose to get/make a bugnet. UQ's are expensive and not necessarily warmer than pads. However a pad in a single layer hammock will likely be a pita for you. Most people swap out suspensions on any hammock they buy. My advice would be to get a different hammock which is more closely aligned with your needs instead of buying all the extra stuff you need to make this one work. Probably end up being cheaper in the long run too. If you want a hammock with a bugnet and a pad sleeve, you can't do much worse than the claytor hammocks: http://www.mosquitohammock.com/ As with most hammock, you will probably switch the suspension to something else too.

AT 2012

...my advice tends to be UL oriented, so take it with a grain of salt. I think your hammock is perfect because of its simplicity. I would buy a cottage industry bug sock, but wouldn't even start to carry it until you hit bug season. While underquilts are way more comfortable, there isn't anything wrong with using a pad in a single layer hammock. try it. the pad also gives you the easy alternative of joining your friends in the shelter on occasion. I would switch to a whoopie/tree hugger webbing system which does not use much hardware... a toggle is perfect. I would get a medium sized tarp... silnylon if money is the biggest issue. You could get a very small (light) one if you think you might spend most stormy nights in a shelter, and are willing to be less comfortable if forced to use one in a storm. And I would definitely add a ridgeline. Makes the setup so much more flexible. IF you are concerned about weight, call the cottage industry guys, tell them of your concern, and get their advice, too.
    Lazarus

try this link outdoortrailgear.com look at the dutchware products, these are what I use

Haven't tried hammock camping yet but since you guys have been discussing it I've been thinking about doing it as well.

Images

- ridgeline....not really needed for the hammock
    - replacement cords & securing apparatus (lighter and more suitable)...whoopies or starps...see Dutch Gear over on Hammock Forums
    - slip-over bug net (mosquito or no-see-um?)....you will need at some point
    - tarp...Cubin is the lightest and most expensive, silnylon is heavier but cost less...WarBonnett...OES...Wilderness Logics and others make some great tarps. Youe will need some sort of ridgline for the tarp
    - pad (which I already own) or underquilt (depends on low temp?)...PITA to use in a single layer hammock, bulky but cheap. A UQ cost more, takes up less space and is much more comfortable

If you can...go to a group hang in your area and check out what other hangers are using and ask them why and how does it work
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    My last major purchase for my hike is shelter. I've thought about tarp tents, mostly, but hammocks crossed my mind tonight.

I have a Byer of Maine Easy Traveler Hammock.

http://www.byerofmaine.com/products/...traveller.html

I like it because it's light enough (especially if I swap out the nylon cord with lighter alternatives) and I already own it ($). I've used it before in bug- and rain-free warm weather and am wondering how much trouble it would be to trick it out into a complete thru-hike setup. From what I understand, that means I need the following:

- ridgeline
    - replacement cords & securing apparatus (lighter and more suitable)
    - slip-over bug net (mosquito or no-see-um?)
    - tarp
    - pad (which I already own) or underquilt (depends on low temp?)

I am starting my NOBO hike in mid-April with an estimated finish in mid-September.

What do you think? Can it be done? Is it more trouble that it's worth (as compared to purchasing a more complete system)? I'm trying to keep costs down as well.
    I have that very hammock and from a cost perspective I just want to add:

The default suspension is fine. The most highly recommended alternate suspension adds fiddle factor without additional utility. You already have a cord and toggle. That is all you need. Yes, you can shave grams, but at a $$ cost. Not worth it. There are other places to lighten first.

For a ridge line (holds the bug netting off of your face) just cut a length of yarn. Ridge lines are not meant to be loaded bearing and yarn is strong enough to hold up no seeum netting.

I used my poncho tarp as my hammock tarp when needed. Because the traveller is so small compared to other hammocks, you need considerably less tarp.

Sent from my YP-GS1 using Tapatalk 2

Ihave the Mosquito Traveler (your hammock with a bug net built in), and just add a silnylon tarp and a pad. It works fine in my limited use so far. It might be easier and not much more expensive for you to swap for one of those rather than adding netting to yours.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

++ New Posts ++