WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default One week easy hike with dog - suggestions on sections of the trail for this

Does anyone have any suggestions for an easy one week hike, preferably in the more northern states? I'm planning on a doing a short section of the trail with my very fit dog near the end of March/early April. I'd like to camp out the whole time in solitude and stay away from lodges, which I know I'll have to anyway with a dog. I'm not a super experienced hiker though and while I'm up for the challenge, I'd like to keep it to a fairly leisurely adventure. Any ideas or suggestions? I've seen some mention of some easy sections in southern Vermont?

Thanks!

In my experience you would want to avoid Southern VT in march/April. It is not uncommon to get decent snow well into May, and mud season is raging during march and April. It would be no fun for you or or dog, and probably isn't great for the actual trail to have travel on it during that time.

Connecticut, possibly, but there's still the risk of snow and ice with freezing temps.

Thanks for your replies. Much appreciated. Maybe I'll consider going further south into better weather. Any suggestions for those parts?

Thanks in advance.

++ New Posts ++