WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Running Hills

Default Running Hills

I feel as though my body is getting too use to my runs, whether on the beach or on the road, so I'm thinking of including hills as part of my running workouts.

My typical running routes actually have some hills, yes being in Florida they're very small, but enough of a climb/descent that I can feel them. However, I do want to become more adapt to running hills, so I'm going to checkout a local bridge that crosses the Intracoastal waterway, just down the street. It's probably about 65 ft high and I think from 0 to max height is about 0.25 of a mile, but going to go measure that with my bike to make sure and set a route. I'm thinking from start to stop will be ~ 1/2 a mile, so if I do it about ten times that's ~ 5 miles and 650 ft climbing/descending.

I've been reading up on it, but if anyone has any pointers for a flatlander, feel free to share. Maybe if I really get into it I'll come run some trails in the mountains

http://www.fitsugar.com/Why-Running-...raining-557941

http://www.fitsugar.com/Learn-Love-R...ownhill-445157

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I feel as though my body is getting too use to my runs, whether on the beach or on the road, so I'm thinking of including hills as part of my running workouts.

My typical running routes actually have some hills, yes being in Florida they're very small, but enough of a climb/descent that I can feel them. However, I do want to become more adapt to running hills, so I'm going to checkout a local bridge that crosses the Intracoastal waterway, just down the street. It's probably about 65 ft high and I think from 0 to max height is about 0.25 of a mile, but going to go measure that with my bike to make sure and set a route. I'm thinking from start to stop will be ~ 1/2 a mile, so if I do it about ten times that's ~ 5 miles and 650 ft climbing/descending.

I've been reading up on it, but if anyone has any pointers for a flatlander, feel free to share. Maybe if I really get into it I'll come run some trails in the mountains

http://www.fitsugar.com/Why-Running-...raining-557941

http://www.fitsugar.com/Learn-Love-R...ownhill-445157
    I'd recommend getting a copy of Jeff Galloway's Book on Running (his first book). It has an entire section on hill running, how it can improve your speed, and how to do do hill running drills in flat parts of the world. Great info!
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

Iv'e always set the problem up of Grade, Fall, and Length..as follows.

If you want to figure Fall, you multiply the Grade by Length
    Conversely, figuring the Fall divided by Length would give the percentage of Grade

The % #'s may be as of some use to you as a way of keeping track..cheers

I always remember what G, F, L in that order as an acronym, Good, F******, Luck, just throwingcore.png it out there
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 02-01-2013 at 13:59. Reason: very strage, when I try to high light just the "L" in Luck it defaults to asterics, I guess it's a dirty word

Quote Originally Posted by Ankle Bone View Post
    I'd recommend getting a copy of Jeff Galloway's Book on Running (his first book). It has an entire section on hill running, how it can improve your speed, and how to do do hill running drills in flat parts of the world. Great info!
    I like Gallowy's Books, there like 4 Lb. pamphlets with color photos.

Images

Any tall buildings nearby? Up and down the stairs should help. Start practicing for the Heart Races some organizations have that actually ONLY run up 10-15 story buildings.

Try for very early mornings or late evenings to avoid weird looks, etc.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

For a different workout, try and inclined treadmill, moving slowly but facing backwards.

go down to Fletcher and run the bleachers ( if it's still accessble)

First question is why are you running? What are you trying to achieve? A 65 ft climb should not be considered a hill workout, I dont see any benefit coming from it. Your body becoming used to your runs is a good thing, its telling you it might be ready for more(mileage or speed)

-But since you are on flatland, consider repeats instead of hills. You can start 1 day a week with 4 sets of 2-5 minute runs at 80-90% max heart rate followed by 1 minute of slower jogging, the workout should be preceded and followed by about 10 minute slow jog to warm up. As you feel comfortable and all 4 sets can be completed at the same pace you can add another set as you want. You may also consider running a quarter or half mile instead of running for 2-5 minutes.

-Do you do strides after any of your runs? Consider at the end of a few runs each week doing 4-5 strides to finish. Here's how I accomplish this: During the last 10 minutes of my run I do a 1 minute hard, 1 minute slow routine. During each minute of hard running I pick my pace up slightly, generally between 1-2 mph, then go back to normal pace during the other minutes.

-You may also consider taking a few days a week and lowering your mileage but picking up your running pace. I generally go down from 6 miles to 3-4 and run 1-2 mph faster(generally a heart rate of 18-185bpm for me compared to the started 155-160bpm on long runs).

-You may also think about some cross training(insanity, plyometrics) or weights a few times a week or a longer run each week(about 25% of your weekly mileage).

Question. Why do pro athletes run bleachers if there's no benefit?

or did i misinterpret what you meant?

Quote Originally Posted by surfnturk View Post
    Question. Why do pro athletes run bleachers if there's no benefit?
    Running hills or bleachers works the same muscles as sprinting. They add power to your leg muscles because you are both moving forward and up. but for bleachers you really need a long set of them, running the bleachers at the local high school isnt going to do much. You arent climbing for a long enough period of time. A workout like that really needs each set to be at least 2 minutes long, no less than 1:30 for sure to be effective. BTW, i workout like the that should be used to increase lactate threshold or increase fast twitch fibers and increase the length of time your muscles can work hard without becoming fatigued.

That seems to make sense. I have no knowledge of running to the degree you do, but,wouldnt running up and down bleachers, even shorter ones, duplicate going up and down a hill?

Quote Originally Posted by surfnturk View Post
    That seems to make sense. I have no knowledge of running to the degree you do, but,wouldnt running up and down bleachers, even shorter ones, duplicate going up and down a hill?

Short bleachers/hills are only beneficial if you can sprint up them at top speed. The hill must be relatively steep, and sprints should last anywhere from 30-60 seconds, much like strides at the end of a run. This will make your muscles much more powerful. I don't advise running at top speed up bleachers.

Quote Originally Posted by topshelf View Post
    First question is why are you running? What are you trying to achieve? A 65 ft climb should not be considered a hill workout, I dont see any benefit coming from it. Your body becoming used to your runs is a good thing, its telling you it might be ready for more(mileage or speed)

-But since you are on flatland, consider repeats instead of hills. You can start 1 day a week with 4 sets of 2-5 minute runs at 80-90% max heart rate followed by 1 minute of slower jogging, the workout should be preceded and followed by about 10 minute slow jog to warm up. As you feel comfortable and all 4 sets can be completed at the same pace you can add another set as you want. You may also consider running a quarter or half mile instead of running for 2-5 minutes.

-Do you do strides after any of your runs? Consider at the end of a few runs each week doing 4-5 strides to finish. Here's how I accomplish this: During the last 10 minutes of my run I do a 1 minute hard, 1 minute slow routine. During each minute of hard running I pick my pace up slightly, generally between 1-2 mph, then go back to normal pace during the other minutes.

-You may also consider taking a few days a week and lowering your mileage but picking up your running pace. I generally go down from 6 miles to 3-4 and run 1-2 mph faster(generally a heart rate of 18-185bpm for me compared to the started 155-160bpm on long runs).

-You may also think about some cross training(insanity, plyometrics) or weights a few times a week or a longer run each week(about 25% of your weekly mileage).
    Why am I running? Because it's one of the best workouts one can do for overall fitness. I do many other exercises, such as cycling, weightlifting and some crossfit and do a little recreational sports, such as frisbee, racketball...

But of all them running is vital, as I see it to overall fitness, simply because our bodies evolved to run as evidenced by our superior ability to run distance and they say that the Achilles tendon is specifically designed for running, not really needed for walking. Interesting article on that: http://www.newscientist.com/article/...n-running.html

As for my planned run up and down the bridge not being "considered a hill workout". I'll get back at you on that, personally I think it's a start, at least that's my impression now. I could workout on the machine at the gym that elevates to 50%, but I also need the downhill aspect also, that's why I'm using the bridge.

I don't believe anything you mentioned could replace hill workouts and I already do sprinting.

Like I said I do sprints, but hills seem to add more to your workouts, here's an article to show that, but that's all I can say for now since I have no experience running hills. http://www.brianmac.co.uk/hilltrain.htm

I'm not sure of the gradient of these hills, but it'll take longer than 30 seconds to run up and when I'm on my bike and I have a 52/11 gear I can get up to 50 mph on these hills, so like I said before...It's a start.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Why am I running? Because it's one of the best workouts one can do for overall fitness. I do many other exercises, such as cycling, weightlifting and some crossfit and do a little recreational sports, such as frisbee, racketball...

But of all them running is vital, as I see it to overall fitness, simply because our bodies evolved to run as evidenced by our superior ability to run distance and they say that the Achilles tendon is specifically designed for running, not really needed for walking. Interesting article on that: http://www.newscientist.com/article/...n-running.html

As for my planned run up and down the bridge not being "considered a hill workout". I'll get back at you on that, personally I think it's a start, at least that's my impression now. I could workout on the machine at the gym that elevates to 50%, but I also need the downhill aspect also, that's why I'm using the bridge.

I don't believe anything you mentioned could replace hill workouts and I already do sprinting.

well you asked for suggestions, I gave a few, but just as there 68758765 ways to hike, there are just as many ways to train and run. RYOR.

Images

Here is a good one

Get on the treadmill

Turn it on

Elevate to 15 degrees

Turn it OFF

Go for a few minutes and report back.............GREAT WORKOUT

Green - no electricity

Arthur Lydiard should be read, and I think everyone should try his training plan at least once.

john gault,
    I think you will like his stuff on hill training.
    http://lydiardfoundation.org/training.aspx

2013 Alleged Thru-Hiker Chuckie V's Avatar
    No Fixed Address (Though usually found in CO)

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Arthur Lydiard should be read, and I think everyone should try his training plan at least once.
    john gault, I think you will like his stuff on hill training.
    http://lydiardfoundation.org/training.aspx
    Nailed it JAK! I've been coaching endurance athletes for decades (Ironman World Champs, Tour riders, marathon runners and the like), and I've been lucky enough to make a living from it all that time. Lydiard's stuff is often scorned by those shortsighted physiologists walking straight out of grad school, but it's his very tenets behind the successes I've had and we all eventually seem to come back to him. In a nutshell, Length before strength and strength before speed. Gains are plotted and graphed, patience is absolutely required (progressive overload, not sudden overload!), rest is an integral part of training (everything is training, really, as everything affects results) and diligence is due. And, most of all, training is specific to the end goal!

Sr. Gault, have you quantified your running gains or are you just need some new mental stimulation? "I feel as though my body is getting too use to my runs..." can be a risky proposition. I would strongly urge you to track your gains aerobically (as per Lydiard or Maffetone; search online) before introducing levels of challenge/stimulus that may be far greater than anything accomplished prior. Baby steps! Until you've reached a physical aerobic plateau (as measured when running by HR, pace/time, and perceived exertion/PE, or watts and HR and PE on the bike), introducing tougher levels of training (i.e., anaerobic hill work) tends to elicit the (seemingly vague) risks of too much too soon, especially as we start to reach our forth or fifth decade. I'm sure you know to introduce the new stress carefully, and sprinting up hills is, without a doubt, highly stressful (as per design). I personally wouldn't ever have an athlete run hill repeats until we watched their aerobic paces starting to plateau to damn near their race paces. (I basically quantify "aerobic pace" as the pace an athlete can maintain at an aerobic level of exertion (say 90% of lactate "threshold" or 80% of max HR) over a long period of time (i.e., an hour or more). These tests will teach an athlete whether he or she is making constant long-term gains, as training should generally elicit. Too many athletes do too much too soon and are thus required to nurse injuries or illnesses, setting them even further back. Use hills judiciously, even in flat ol' Florida!

all good coaches start with teaching people to tie their shoes correctly, ha

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++