WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default hikers not on white blaze starting hike

does anyone have any idea of how many people start a thru that don't declare it on whiteblaze.

just curious.

- pages

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pages View Post
    does anyone have any idea of how many people start a thru that don't declare it on whiteblaze.

just curious.

- pages
    certainly more than declare a triple yo yo attempt.
    i have a feeling it would be more than half.

About 99 %
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Garlic
    Images

I, for one, had never even heard of Whiteblaze until well after I'd completed my thru hike. Mags told me about it on a hike.

I suspect the 99% number is close to the truth.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I can see possibly not getting involved on here, but I cannot see not even having the knowledge of this place. I just did a google search on 'appalachian trail' and whiteblaze is the number 8 result. #4 for 'appalachian trail planning'. I guess some people don't mind taking off six months without proper planning.

Images

I'm guessing not as many as are on Whiteblaze that haven't.

.... including yours truly

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RCBear:1409116
    I'm guessing not as many as are on Whiteblaze that haven't.

.... including yours truly
    Done a thru that is

In casual talking with hikers on the trail each year, I would say that 75% have never even accidently stumbled onto Whiteblaze. More people say that they got some hiking information from youtube.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsirocco View Post
    I can see possibly not getting involved on here, but I cannot see not even having the knowledge of this place. I just did a google search on 'appalachian trail' and whiteblaze is the number 8 result. #4 for 'appalachian trail planning'. I guess some people don't mind taking off six months without proper planning.
    I did the same last September, getting back on the trail after an 11 year absence. I'm glad I did find it. It has helped get my pack weight down and I have found some great folks to walk with........although it has now made me obsess and my fishing gear has been neglected.

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I did the same last September, getting back on the trail after an 11 year absence. I'm glad I did find it. It has helped get my pack weight down and I have found some great folks to walk with........although it has now made me obsess and my fishing gear has been neglected.
    Be careful, dynamite gets unstable after a long period of storage.

I'd guess at least the majority, probably more, have never heard of WhiteBlaze.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsirocco View Post
    And a lot of those without the proper planning don't make it either.
    Hated seeing guys drop off in GA, when I was more prepared for my Spring Break section hike than they were for a thru hike, Painful to watch them struggling to get down a mountain with "shredded" feet, so they could get off the trail.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

It would interesting to know the completion rate of WB thru-hike attempts as opposed to non-WBers.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    It would interesting to know the completion rate of WB thru-hike attempts as opposed to non-WBers.
    Oz will complete his cyber hike on March 23. Oh, that's not what you meant

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Based on how many announce hikes on WB compared with how many are ever heard from again on WB, I'd say the odds are just as low.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Pages View Post

just curious.

- pages
    42. Take that MM.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I'd be willing to bet there's as many lurkers on Whiteblaze that are thru-hiking that wish to remain anonymous, as Whiteblaze members that have announced their thru-hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I'd be willing to bet there's as many lurkers on Whiteblaze that are thru-hiking that wish to remain anonymous, as Whiteblaze members that have announced their thru-hike.
    I have wondered about that. Is it prudent to announce your every move on the internet? I can understand those that don't... especially if they leave an empty place behind.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I have wondered about that. Is it prudent to announce your every move on the internet? I can understand those that don't... especially if they leave an empty place behind.
    My thoughts exactly. I decided not to announce on Facebook or other social media for that simple fact. However I do have lots of old, bitter retiree neighbors who would love to shoot a burglar if given the chance and opportunity, so I'm not too worried.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffdiver View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I decided not to announce on Facebook or other social media for that simple fact. However I do have lots of old, bitter retiree neighbors who would love to shoot a burglar if given the chance and opportunity, so I'm not too worried.
    Sounds like you have good neighbors.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++