WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

This is a great thread. My brothers and I do a lot of section hikes in that area, and I always thought it would be cool to have some property right on the trail to host other hikers, etc. Hopefully one day I will. I am hoping to make another attempt at a thru in 2014 or so, maybe we'll run into each other then.

Images

I encourage you to meet the caretakers at Bears Den....Steadee and Deal. They are great folks and can offer a wealth of information. Pretty sure they live there full time, even in the winter.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

I'm probably not your typical thru-hiker when it comes to staying at people's homes along the trail. I'm a little bit antisocial, and while on the AT, i didn't stay at any private residences that wasn't in the book. I did have offers, but i just don't feel comfortable staying in someone's home that i don't know.

Now this year, I'm hiking with my 14 year old son, and i think i would be even less likely to do it with him along.

I think your sentiment is great, but as many have said, i would be careful about inviting people to your home with children. I have met some great people out there, but like life, you do have the occasional person that is a user and not someone you would want around your children.

As most said, doing trail magic during the bubble is the best way to meet and visit with hikers. The better the food, the longer people stick around and visit. I would never schedule someone to stay at my home without meeting them first.

Maybe my son and I will get to visit with you on the way through.

Images

Great questions. I've provided lodging/food for some hikers. What I've noticed about trail magic...don't advertise unless you're opening a hostile/shelter. When the opportunity presents itself for lodging, etc., you'll just know. That's the "magic" on the giving end of TM. I invited 5 thruhikers into my hotel room in Dalesville and ended up getting a call from them when they came to my home state in Maine. I never invite just one if I'm alone. You'll learn to recognize and "smell" a true thru-hiker vs a day hiker. Too clean, no beards, etc. then wouldn't make an offer to welcome in. When taking day hikes, carry an extra bag w/ trail magic. It doesn't have to be food. It can be simple medical necessities (Ibuprofen, bandaids), duct tape, fruit rollups, SNICKERS BARS, oatmeal or hot chocolate packs, personal items (small toothpaste)...anything LITE weight. That way, you're not leaving food for the critters, not having to sit in one place waiting for hikers, and still making some magic/contacts. If you plan on participating in trail magic, look for some great sales and use coupons to stock up now. When it comes time to take a day hike, make little brown paper, "party" bags w/ the items and just hand them to the hikers. They LOVE this! I make up bags w/ a little bit of everything, sometimes even dumb little toys (party favors). You'd been surprised how many grown guys love this! Just keep it lite. Once again, you'll just know when it's right! The AT truly is magical all in itself. Good luck w/ the penpals. If you homeschool, why not be a family of thruhikers. Have the girls plan out a trip for 2014: math, geography, biology, nutrition, culture all wrapped into one adventure!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AT Trail Magic View Post
    If you homeschool, why not be a family of thruhikers. Have the girls plan out a trip for 2014: math, geography, biology, nutrition, culture all wrapped into one adventure!!!!
    The smarta** in me wants to say, "Obviously you don't have daughters."

The no fun serious guy wants to say, "An idea most epic if doable."

Images

Hosting hikers is very rewarding if you plan ahead and know what your doing. My only advice is don't serve a bunch of hikers ham and bean soup. I learned this the hard way. Yes, its and good meal full of protein but WOW its hard on the environment.

I'm sure 99% of people who invite hikers into their home for the night are harmless and mean well, but there are too may nut jobs out there for me to accept their invitation. I'll gladly pay $50 or whatever for a hotel room.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I'm sure 99% of people who invite hikers into their home for the night are harmless and mean well, but there are too may nut jobs out there for me to accept their invitation. I'll gladly pay $50 or whatever for a hotel room.
    I agree with you on this one max.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    there are some that have alterior motives. if you've been on the trail as long as i have you know what i'm talkin' about

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    there are some that have alterior motives. if you've been on the trail as long as i have you know what i'm talkin' about
    Usually they want you to join thier religious cult...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

My suggestion, since your diet is specialized, is to let hikers know this and you'll probably find that there are some very thankful gluten-free and dairy-free hikers who would love to visit with you. They're the ones who have to send their food-boxes ahead because shopping in small grocery stores or convenience stores is difficult for them.

Live your dream.
    Coosa
    [Trail Angel in North Georgia in the late 1990's and early 2000's]
    My blog, dedicated to my Dad: Chasing the Trail
    Proverbs 4:26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
    Hike Your Own Hike

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Usually they want you to join thier religious cult...
    that too....

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Humm.. never thought about that before. I really don't want to know what that looks like, I'm sure it's not pretty.

Images

Actually, I got into trail magic because my daughter and her girlfriend...fresh out of college....couched surfed and hitched to become thruhikers from the Class of 2010. Trail names: Playboy and Sk'Rabbit!!! I understand thoroughly. There's good folks out there. They got "my" girls home. Forever grateful and in love w/ the AT.

Yep, read some stories from people who got trapped into religious or political interrogations, ahem, discussions. I tried to be up front about my ulterior motives. :-)

We are pretty novice hikers, so we will attempt some overnights before I start having them plan a thru! It is not outside the realm of possibility, but I have lots of adventurous ideas, like wwoofing and taking them to where I used to live in Siberia. So we are going to see where their passions lie, but transitioning to homeschooling and downsizing our lifestyle are some of our first steps towards being able to live that way. We have a world map already marked with everywhere we want to visit!

thank you for all the ideas & advice!

You could become a famous trail angel quick. Hand out doggy bags of cheap food like pasta, peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches, mac and cheese, instant rice, burgers, fruit. You will make lots of friends. Let people tent in your yard. Set up a solar shower. I would not let strangers in the house. Theres a old saying, stranger danger.

I had two people take me into their homes last year who aren't listed in any of the guides. On both occasions I stayed in the basement. The one with kids also had a separate door to the house that could be locked. The basement had its own entrance. Both times I met the people in town and we each had a chance to size each other up first. So doing a hiker feed may give you a chance to size up some people in person before inviting them into your home. At the feed, you could also meet hikers who are keeping a trail journal and follow them from there. I had no problem emailing the people who hosted me a summit pic from Katahdin upon their request. This may not be exactly what you were looking for but its an option in case you start following some of the dreamers that bail before they get out of Georgia

I'm a thru-hiker. Your intentions are admirable but since you aren't a hiker you might want to opt to take things more slowly before opening your house to thru-hikers. It's not always right for all parties in all situations. Get to know what hikers are about, do trail maintenance, be a trail angel, do some simple trail magic(doesn't have to be a huge thing), follow potential hikers through trail journals before they are in your neighborhood, etc. YES, be selective. You want this to be a positive experience for your family and hikers. I think you got a lot of good advice already so I'll not repeat all that.

Yeah. Rifle might carve his name in your headboard.

Journal Entries

Regarding sizing up a hiker. While I as anyone else will size up a hiker, I also know that that's a preliminary step. Some people will manifest clinical behavior, but you'll see false positives and false negatives. I also believe from previous experience that few thru hikers would be a problem. But no matter how nice or safe a hiker (or anyone) seems always require safety of at least two adults whenever strangers are present. As a hiker I would never be alone with a minor no matter what the circumstances.

Dont wish to sound negative but advise to size up a person/hiker can be foolish. Don't let fear stop from hosting hikers as its certainly a wonderful endeavor.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++