WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Stuff sack size

Default Stuff sack size

When attempting a thru-hike, what is the appropriate size of a stuff sack for your food? I am trying to ensure I save as many ounces as I can, and I don't want to buy a 20 Liter stuff sack if I only need a 10 Liter. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Stir Fry

4l cuben fiber sack will weigh about 14 gms and is a good size for food sack. Buy one yard of cuben fiber and a roll of tape from Zpacks. you will spend a $50 and you can get about six stuff sacks and total weight of about 2.5 oz or 70 grams. Lots of U-Tube sites will show you how.
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

I've tried asking this question multiple times and never really got a satisfactory answer. The solution to me was to get a Ursack minor food bag so I just didn't have to worry about it anymore. If the food doesn't fit, it ain't going, simple enough.

Thanks for the replies. I went with a 15L. Probably too big, but it will allow me so lee-way to figure out how much to carry.

++ New Posts ++