WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Exped SynMat UL 7 pad...do I need a thin CCF pad too?

I just bought an Exped SynMat UL 7 pad in short (64") at my local outfitter yesterday for $92....I wasn't going to buy it at the regular $150 price and instead use an Evazote pad, but when I saw this deal I went for it, hoping that it helps my bad back.

Is it necessary to use a thin CCF pad underneath? Something like the GossamerGear Thinlight insulation? (1/8" or 3/8" pad...which?) I will be using a tarp and probably a polychro (GG makes them) groundcloth underneath (or Tyvek...whichever is more durable?). What would you do?

The 1/8" thick pads are not very durable for what it is worth! Three days used and already a hole in the middle from something inside my tent or pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    The 1/8" thick pads are not very durable for what it is worth! Three days used and already a hole in the middle from something inside my tent or pack.
    Interesting. My son had his last the entire thru (but don't ask how many sets of poles he went through, lol).

AuntieSarah, I would recommend it for extra insulation, to protect the Exped, and to provide some minimal backup in case your Exped springs a leak.

Journal Entries

I've spent a couple of nights out with my Exped getting down to -8C/20F and could feel the cold coming up from the ground. Adding a thin reflecting CCF pad was enough to warm me up again though.

Quote Originally Posted by mykdavies View Post
    I've spent a couple of nights out with my Exped getting down to -8C/20F and could feel the cold coming up from the ground. Adding a thin reflecting CCF pad was enough to warm me up again though.
    Good idea on the thin reflecting CCF pad, but I have not seen any CCF pads that are both thin AND reflecting--where did you find yours?

Would a reflective safety blanket(Mylar?) under the pad work to add a few extra degrees to a sleep system?

++ New Posts ++