WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Guys, how do you prevent crotch rot?

I a know every male on here as experience a severe case of sweaty balls or crotch rot at one time or another, especially when hiking several long distance days with no shower. Whats your secret to keep it at bay?
    Transcend the Bull$hit

Bandana wipe downs with soap and water.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

When I figure out how to prevent it I will let you know. Until then, gold bond is your friend. I might even try diaper rash ointment this summer, some folks swear by it.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Daily or twice a day bandana/water wipe downs. If it's a really hot stretch, carry some baby wipes.

If chafing starts, apply some Gold Bond Medicated in the evening - chafing gone by morning.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Daily or twice a day bandana/water wipe downs. If it's a really hot stretch, carry some baby wipes.

If chafing starts, apply some Gold Bond Medicated in the evening - chafing gone by morning.
    Gold Bond is your best friend. It not only helps with the chafing/rot, it feels good!
    If a tree falls in the woods, be there to hear it.

baby wipes and gold bond. UA boxer briefs helps too.

--louis

Wipe downs and Glide for prevention. A & D Ointment is good for severe rash but Gold Bond weighs less. An ounce of Gold Bond is worth a tube of A & D.

Quote Originally Posted by Tree Nerd View Post
    I a know every male on here as experience a severe case of sweaty balls or crotch rot at one time or another, especially when hiking several long distance days with no shower. Whats your secret to keep it at bay?
    Ya ever see the movie "Silkwood"......or you could use a OTC jock itch cream. In more extreme cases you may need to see a doctor and get a steroid ointment, or antibiotic.........good luck brother....luckily I don't feel your pain.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 02-07-2013 at 12:46.

Images

While long boxer briefs are great for reducing chafing, they also cause a bad case of sweaty crotch. If you have a breezy day, you could strip partially or to the skin and put your bum in the wind. I'm not too proud to admit that I've done that. It had me thinking hard of wearing a kilt.

I've also been thinking about wearing an absorbent towel around my waist or hips to capture sweat that would usually drip down and accumulate in my crotch.

Hopefully those two measures will result in a dry crotch.

Go commando.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Though, as all of us guys know, this is a legitimate concern, I shuddered when I saw this post, knowing that it was yet one more opportunity for folks to promote going Commando. What's with this huge desire to announce this clothing option? Yikes. TMI.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Though, as all of us guys know, this is a legitimate concern, I shuddered when I saw this post, knowing that it was yet one more opportunity for folks to promote going Commando. What's with this huge desire to announce this clothing option? Yikes. TMI.
    Not being a wise guy, just an effective way to prevent the problem.

Images

Oh man good subject...I got this bad last summer, now when I hike, it is always with me. I use athlete foot cream, zeazorb powder, take wipes for cleaning. I have never got it again since then, use the listed products and you should be good to go.

http://www.amazon.com/Zeasorb-AF-Ant...pr_product_top

Body glide to prevent chaffing is defence #1. If ya still get minor chaffing and irritation then a good clean and powder up with gold bond medicated. Beyond that a good rash ointment..just keep clean!! If ya get the jock itch then embrace the itch and lather up with lotrimin.
    On my LT hike it was HOT. I was chaffing everywhere and it was getting funky..commando didn't work and I seemed to sweat through body glide. Rash ointment and changing clothes mid day helped control funk.

Images

I don’t know why but I get it really bad, I am not overweight and of normal size. It has to do with walking patterns but this is what I do and I never have a problem
    1- A good set of compression shorts. If your legs aren’t rubbing together, they won’t chafe.
    2- For cooling, get a travel size bottle of gold bond. I sometimes douse once every stop just cause it sooths.

As well, if you go swimming, don’t hit the trail again wet. And at night before you get in your sleeping bag, take a baby wipe bath.
    It is surprising how refreshing this is after a long day on the trail.

Gold Bond powder. And Boudraux's Butt Paste works wonders.

I've found that compression shorts along with vaseline works really well for chafing, but havent found anything for sweaty balls.....I have been contemplating going comando with a kilt, is this pretty commmon?
    Transcend the Bull$hit

Being a cyclist this is a concern as well. To add to the regular hygene recommendations, if you wear compression shorts, it's really important to wash them, every day if possible. I've used lots of different lubricants that have preventative properties, there are always some products at the bike shop with crazy names like Monkey Butt Butter, etc. that are silicone based but I don't like those for hiking because the oils are difficult to launder out of my clothing on the trail.

To treat a rash, I like a product called Pinxav http://www.pinxav.com/ that is basically a diaper rash ointment. My wife recommended it a lot for her patients for various rashes caused by medications, chemo, etc. And yes, it's pink.

David

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I'm commando right now, at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tree Nerd View Post
    ..I have been contemplating going comando with a kilt, is this pretty commmon?
    If you are not going commando, it is a skirt.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++