WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default why do most people prefer sleeping on the ground

i first used the hennessey hammock in may 2002,but i developed slight discomfort in lower back last year,making ground camping more uncomfortable
    sleeping in a hammock is far more comfortable,you can camp in more different places in a hammock than tent or tarp,crowed shelters really suck to,any way
    i am glad i switched,my problem with my back completely healed,my dr said he believes hammocking speeded up my recovery,my wife thinks hammock hanging is awesome neo

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default ground dwellers

maybe feel more in tune with the earth, see Neo hanging in the air makes you ethereal, more Godlike (not a God mind you) just closer to him/her....it must be something like the vortex the crystal people get in places like Sedona, i mean it must be mighty powerful to draw someone away from total comfort/bliss.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Images

Default probably because they don't know any better......

...... me included. I've waffled back and forth on whether to buy a hammock for my next shelter. The only reason I've even considered hammocking is because of my fellow whiteblazers raving about it. BUT,, I (& probably a lot of other ground dwellers) are just a little skeptical about the whole idea. I'm currently "lightening the load",, so a new lightweight shelter is in my future plans. I'm just frustrated that I can't go lay down in a hammock to give er a test drive to put my hammocking fears at ease,,, specifically, feeling like I'm in a burrito, not being able to organize my gear as easily as in a tent, & having to use as a bivy when above treeline-(doesn't seem easy to get in a HH hammock when it's laying on the ground). It's not feasable for me to travel several hours or more just to sit in a hammock (I had considered going to Hot Springs/Damascus in the past month because of Trail Days/Fest,, but just wasn't able to). I really don't want to order a hammock just to test out & return if I don't like. I think once Hammocks are widely available at outfitters,,, a lot more people may discover the comfort & convienence of hammocks. NEO,,, any suggtestion on my dilemma?

Well I prefer sleeping on the ground because I feel free-er than in with a tarp hanging over me. Even when using my bivy sack I normally leave the top unzipped. Plus when I really tired I snore really, really bad. not all the time just after a long hard day and when I snore, if I wake myself up (which I have done) I roll over onto my side and the snoring stops. Also I tell people if I start snoring just tell me to roll over and I will, I just don't think I would sleep well on my side or face down in a hammock.

I aslo prefer winter hiking and when it is bad weather in the winter time, you can into a shelter (not many people out there in january and february, especially during the week), which are designed for platform sleeping. they are not structurally designed for hammock hanging in them, plus people like me, do NOT want hammocks hanging over them in a shelter.

I will say this, I have never used a hammock for backpacking either, I layed in one once and it was not very comfortable to me.
    Last edited by TakeABreak; 06-07-2005 at 05:46. Reason: grammar

Well... for one thing, the ground is soft. I feel rooted when tenting. For another, I like sleeping next to my wife on those infrequent occasions when she joins me (like next weekend when we do Carvers Gap to 19E!@!!)

While I have only spent three nights in a hammock - and I enjoyed it - it's not the be-all and end-all for me. There are freedoms associated with hammocking that don't exist with a tent - such as pitching on a slope. But for my money, I still prefer tenting. Guess I'm old fashioned in that respect.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Quote Originally Posted by TakeABreak
    I just don't think I would sleep well on my side or face down in a hammock.
    Every time I sleep in my hammock, I'm on my side. You just have to learn how to pitch it right (sag is different for each person and hammock model), and a few tricks like putting a pillow (stuff sack w/ clothes) between your knees to releive back pressure.

Here's a picture of Youngblood sleeping almost on his stomach:
    http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HammockCamping.html

I aslo prefer winter hiking and when it is bad weather in the winter time, you can into a shelter
    Bring a pad to keep you warm in the hammock (you'll need bottom insulation in the winter)...then you can duck into a shelter if you want. Once you get used to hammocking, you might not want to, though!

plus people like me, do want hammocks hanging over them in a shelter.
    Agreed.

I layed in one once and it was not very comfortable to me.
    It takes a little fidgeting to learn how to be comfortable, sometimes. No moreso than ground sleeping (clearing roots and rocks, learning about ground covers, drainage, etc). It's just that most people already know how to do that and to be comfortable in a hammock they have to learn something new.

Check out the test hammock on Risk's page http://www.imrisk.com if you want to make a $10 test hammock with no sewing. Experiment for a few days, and if you don't like it then you only spent $10 and you still have a hammock for the backyard.

And don't forget...hammocks have tarps on them, so if you're above treeline you can still pitch it as a simple tarp and not even worry about using the hammock as a bivy.
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 06-06-2005 at 13:32. Reason: fixed link and formatting

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by James
    ...... me included. I've waffled back and forth on whether to buy a hammock for my next shelter. The only reason I've even considered hammocking is because of my fellow whiteblazers raving about it. BUT,, I (& probably a lot of other ground dwellers) are just a little skeptical about the whole idea. I'm currently "lightening the load",, so a new lightweight shelter is in my future plans. I'm just frustrated that I can't go lay down in a hammock to give er a test drive to put my hammocking fears at ease,,, specifically, feeling like I'm in a burrito, not being able to organize my gear as easily as in a tent, & having to use as a bivy when above treeline-(doesn't seem easy to get in a HH hammock when it's laying on the ground). It's not feasable for me to travel several hours or more just to sit in a hammock (I had considered going to Hot Springs/Damascus in the past month because of Trail Days/Fest,, but just wasn't able to). I really don't want to order a hammock just to test out & return if I don't like. I think once Hammocks are widely available at outfitters,,, a lot more people may discover the comfort & convienence of hammocks. NEO,,, any suggtestion on my dilemma?
    James,

This is the best time of year to use hammocks. Like anything else they are not for everyone and there are always a few people who tend to exaggerate the strength and weaknesses of particular hammocks or hammocks in general for that matter. A lot of it is personal preference; just like some ground dwellers prefer to be completely closed in with a tent while others prefer the openess of tarps. You get another chance this weekend to maybe 'kick the tires' of various hammocks at Hot Springs while the Bluff Mountain Bluegrass Festival is going on. See this for info: http://www.speerhammocks.com/Assets/HotSpringsJun05.htm . You're welcome to come and don't have to have a hammock. I've got a spare hammock setup that I can bring if you want to try one out. I'm not sure who all will be there and what kind of hammocks will be represented but usually there are several types and I would imagine that most folks wouldn't mind giving you the low-down on what they use and maybe even let you climb inside for a short while.

Youngblood

I have a HH and have enjoyed the many advantages that you frequently hear people touting. For me personaly, I must have some sort of physiological condition in my chest because when I wake up in the morning from sleeping in the HH, I feel like I have to cough a few times as there is a sort of stiffness in my lungs. I think it may come from the action of the hammock as it has a tendancy to roll the shoulders together. This issue doesn't keep me from using it though. I think I'm probably about 50/50 ground/hammocker. I like the combination of a large tarp with the HH. That way I have the ultimate in flexibility. I can sleep on the ground under the large tarp if the forest floor looks inviting. Or I can sleep in the trees if there is not a suitable area to sleep on the ground. It is a heavier setup than just a straight tarp or straight HH but the flexibility it gives me can hardly be improved upon...and its still lighter than almost any tent. Also, I find that with the large tarp (a sil-nylon two person Ray Jardine style tarp) my enjoyment factor when its raining goes up significantly.
    There is a certain joy in exhaustion.

Yellow Jacket
    Images

They are a bit freaky, and for whatever reason folks are too afraid to try "new" things. Social/peer pressure is just as strong on the trail as it is in the mall. This is a bit odd given that we are sleeping in the woods carrying all of our gear. Isn't that "freaky" or "new"?

Regarding thru-hikers in particular, I think the lazyness factor cannot be overlooked. Sleeping in shelters (to many folks) requires less work. Which is why many folks end up in shelters despite having a goal of "never spending a night in those mouse infested snore shacks". Then, at the end of their "journey", they have "spend fewer nights in shelters" on their top-10 list of thing they would do differently.

Whatever, be happy you are sleeping in a hammock and let other folks figure them out on their own. Honestly, if everyone started using hammocks, I think we'd be in trouble. As I suspect administrators (administrators love to stop anything that is new and doesn't give them more money or power) would find something "bad" about them and require us to stay in designated hammock zones. Hasn't that already happened in one of the national parks out west? Rainer?
    Last edited by tlbj6142; 06-06-2005 at 10:14.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

I haven't tried one yet because: I sleep mostly on my stomach, some on my sides, and almost never on my back. I enjoy the 4"x7" stuff size of my tarp. I enjoy the 14 oz. weight of my tarp. And I enjoy camping places like the outcrop in Pennsylvania I was at Saturday night, where there was nothing higher than pebbles standing off the ground.

Nevertheless, I am extremely intrigued by these things. Someday, when I've got the cash for the experiment, I will try one out.

It'd be a cool thing if Hennessy had a sort of trial or rental program. Does anyone know if the outfitters that sell these do rentals? Harpers Ferry or Rockfish Gap for instance?

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Monster
    I haven't tried one yet because: I sleep mostly on my stomach, some on my sides, and almost never on my back. I enjoy the 4"x7" stuff size of my tarp. I enjoy the 14 oz. weight of my tarp. And I enjoy camping places like the outcrop in Pennsylvania I was at Saturday night, where there was nothing higher than pebbles standing off the ground.

Nevertheless, I am extremely intrigued by these things. Someday, when I've got the cash for the experiment, I will try one out.

It'd be a cool thing if Hennessy had a sort of trial or rental program. Does anyone know if the outfitters that sell these do rentals? Harpers Ferry or Rockfish Gap for instance?
    Moon Monster,

Thought you'd be interested, given the info in your post. I cannot explain why, but in my experience folks (myself included), who in a tent or in a bed cannot sleep on their backs, find this very doable and comfortable in a hammock. I guess it is the different type of support . . . not sure. I have had several folks, who I have let borrow my hammock, say the same thing . . . they can't sleep on their backs "normally" but easily and comfortably do so in a hammock.

Tripp

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Can't speak for everyone else ...but I prefer a ground based shelter of some sort because I like to pull my pack in and spread out a bit, especially on distance hikes. I like to journal or read at night and found that I couldn't do that to my satisfaction in a hammock. Plus, I recently acquired a 23 oz shelter complete with mesh and floor.

And yes ...I own and like my hammock. On short trips in the warmer months it's my shelter of choice. I've tried most of the cold weather adaptations available and I'm just not willing to go to all that trouble to be comfortable in cold weather. By the time I add all those features to my hammock it's too complicated and heavy (relatively speaking) and it's lost its appeal as a lightweight shelter ...at least for me. I could already be snug in my sleeping bag reading a book or writing down my thoughts for the day.

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    Last edited by Footslogger; 06-06-2005 at 15:48.
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Can't play cards in a hammock.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator
    ==============================
    Well ...I guess you could add a little velcro tab to each card and a strip on the upper surface of the hammock and at least knock out a game of solitaire.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Not too many trees at times in the high country of Colorado.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

tideblazer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags
    Not too many trees at times in the high country of Colorado.
    Nor in the deserts of California...

Or the High Sierras...

Or the Baja Peninsula...

But there's always ground

-and it's free!!!
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Plenty of reasons to choose tenting over hammocking.

I never sleep on my back and when I sleep on a soft mattress I develope a backache. To me, sleeping on a pad on the ground is like sleeping on a firm matress which I find very comfortable, whereas a hammock I believe would not provide the level of firm support I need for a comfortable nights sleep.

Plus, I like the fact that when I wake up in a pouring rain, I can pack everything while inside my tent and get in my rain wear before I take down my shelter. Hammocks are too claustrophobic for my taste.
    Last edited by bulldog49; 06-06-2005 at 15:55.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Mags put it very well.

Hammocks are all well and good, but many of my favorite places to camp (on the AT and elsewhere) are treeless. Kinda hard to sling a hammock in places like this.....in such cases, sleeping on the ground seems to be a pretty sensible alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator
    There's something else you can't do in hammock that is even more fun than cards.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49
    There's something else you can't do in hammock
    Eh...Says who?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++