WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Trail-name before departure, or to be conferred by others??

Trying to gauge everyone's opinion on coming to the AT with your trail name already predetermined, or to have it conferred upon you by fellow hikers.

Tradition dictates that other hikers confer it, but HYOH dictates you can essentially do whatever you want.

I've thought about it a lot, and still can come to no conclusion.

Destiny and those who ascribe to determinism would say that my trail name has been waiting for me my whole life, so no matter what I think one is better over the other, my "true" trail name will meet me whether I do one or the other...

You can always bring a trail name with you when you start, but another may take its place as you hike along. Whatever you want to do is fine.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by alxflwrs View Post

Watson or "No $hit Sherlock" ?
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Destiny and those who ascribe to determinism would say that my trail name has been waiting for me my whole life, so no matter what I think one is better over the other, my "true" trail name will meet me whether I do one or the other...
    If I knew enough about you, alxflwrs, and the laws that govern you, I would be able to predict the exact behavior that will one day result in you encountering your (inevitable) trail name. Alas, my knowledge is imperfect, so I will just suggest "Destiny's Child" for you.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

How about load downer. The opposite of downloader.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    Watson or "No $hit Sherlock" ?
    Ahhhh Watson is so good. Short enough, could potentially be a real name, fun to say.

The one you give yourself is the one that'll be used while others are in your presence, the one that others give you will be the one used when your not around.

whats in a name?....sell ya mine for 50 cents

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    The one you give yourself is the one that'll be used while others are in your presence, the one that others give you will be the one used when your not around.

That's a pretty high mark up from the guy who foisted it off on you!

It sure is easier to start with a trailname ... you will meet so many people in the beginning and probably never see most of them again so it doesn't matter for them, but those few who may want to keep track of you won't know who you are if you wait until someone gives one farther down the trail...
    Old Man River
    "the legs feed the wolf gentlemen, the legs feed the wolf" from the movie "Miracle"

This is my opinion, and others may vary.

If you give yourself a trail name, it's not really a trail name. It is a nickname.

Trail names are given to you by other hikers "on the trail." Most likely, you will not have much say, as others will call you by it whether you like it or not. Of course this will vary depending on how social you are. (We even had a few trail names for the super unsocial people. They just didn't know it.) I have handed out a few trail names that stuck, but am not a fan nor would i accept an offensive name you wouldn't be comfortable telling to your grandmother.

Summed up, just wait for your trail name to find you.

And as always HYOH...

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post

lol..this is correct, there were a few who had alternate trail names. Then there were some who came with a name and fellow thru hikers change it.I believe for it to be a true trail name it must be given on the trail.Mine is CHEF.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Camel2012 View Post
    This is my opinion, and others may vary.

If you give yourself a trail name, it's not really a trail name. It is a nickname.

Trail names are given to you by other hikers "on the trail." Most likely, you will not have much say, as others will call you by it whether you like it or not. Of course this will vary depending on how social you are. (We even had a few trail names for the super unsocial people. They just didn't know it.) I have handed out a few trail names that stuck, but am not a fan nor would i accept an offensive name you wouldn't be comfortable telling to your grandmother.

Summed up, just wait for your trail name to find you.

And as always HYOH...
    Agree 100%. I have been given various nicknames...in the Marines, for example, I was the only guy in my squad who didn't dip. One day I went to the store and bought a pack of gummies to throw in my lip. When the guys said, "Hey! He's dippin'!" I said, "Yup!" and proudly displayed the gummy worms in my lip. From then on, I was refereed to as "Gummies" - I know...the manliest name you've ever heard!
    If a tree falls in the woods, be there to hear it.

Images

Forgot to add - I wouldn't consider "Gummies" to be my trail name, though, unless I got it organically on the trail, too. It's much more special when you get it on the trail than it is if you come in with a nickname. I still haven't gotten a trail name, but I've only been section hiking for a few months.
    If a tree falls in the woods, be there to hear it.

I always thought that I would want to start hiking with a trail name I came up with, but I have decided to wait though. I want to my trail name to come when I'm on the trail (I may have to wait a while because it'll be many years before I can actually through hike....just sections for me now).

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard30 View Post
    I always thought that I would want to start hiking with a trail name I came up with, but I have decided to wait though. I want to my trail name to come when I'm on the trail (I may have to wait a while because it'll be many years before I can actually through hike....just sections for me now).
    Why? You don't think a trail name can be "earned" on a section hike?

Mine was made up on the trail since each time some one asks me "how's it going?" (usually as they passed me on an uphill) I'll answer "slowly".

I think with the advent of on line trail journals and internet screen names, most pick a name to use before hand so they don't have to change it in all thier accounts later. Plus you don't want to end up with a name like "dog breath" or "sir fartsalot".
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

What's wrong with Sir Fartsalot? A week or so of typical trail food does funny things to my stomach and I get, um, gassy. It got to the point where my girlfriend would hug me and I'd fart releasing a not too pleasant smell, just like my insect namesake!
    Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time -- Steven Wright

Trying to gauge everyone's opinion on coming to the AT with your trail name already predetermined, or to have it conferred upon you by fellow hikers.

Tradition dictates that other hikers confer it, but HYOH dictates you can essentially do whatever you want.

i picked my own

Quote Originally Posted by Stink Bug View Post
    What's wrong with Sir Fartsalot? A week or so of typical trail food does funny things to my stomach and I get, um, gassy. It got to the point where my girlfriend would hug me and I'd fart releasing a not too pleasant smell, just like my insect namesake!

Ha Ha!! That is really funny!!!!! I love ur username of Stink Bug!! You should post more- seeing ur name would bring a smile.

I vote to have it conferred upon you by fellow "clowns".. I mean hikers.. sorry alxflwrs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++