WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Hostel

Journal Entries
    Images

Default New Hostel

Dear Family & Friends,
    The Lord has led us to an ideal location for a hiker
    sanctuary and hostel. We've been looking for over four
    years now and this is the one we've found this past
    week.

We are letting you know in hopes of having your
    support (prayers and financial). In order to purchase
    the property we will need investors and contributions
    to help out. That's where you come in. We need all the
    help we can get. If you or anyone you know would be
    interested in this huge endeavor, please don't
    hesitate to call or email us.

This is a positive cash flow operation. It will be a
    one stop-shop for hikers and travellers alike, making
    it convenient and easily accessible by trail or road.

This hostel will include store/gift shop, game room,
    TV lounge, library, laundry facilities, internet &
    phone access, full kitchen with dining hall, private
    rooms, bunkhouse w/fireplace, and plenty of parking
    for everyone. This will need a staff of at least five
    to maintain and operate in peak season (March-Nov.)

For more information, e-mail or call (256)655-2697.
    We're ready to move on this property.

Sincerely,
    Ray & Loretta Johnson
    (Skipper & Dusty)
    [email protected]
    .................................................. .................................................. .....
    Ray and Loretta Johnson run the Harpers Ferry Hostel and their tour of duty is up at the end of this month. I have known these two beautiful people for almost three years now. About the time I met them was about the time I met Sarge.
    But anyhow I know for a fact that these two have helped countless of hikers out and there may just be a few floating around here.
    So if you want to pitch in and help, do so. If you can't, at least toss them an email and lend your thoughts.........

Journal Entries
    Images

Default positive cash flow???

Yo Wanderer...

several questions...are they the "caretakers" of this hostel now?
    IF this is a "postive" cash flow biz now...why are they wanting us hikers to donate funds?

just curious...

since, on my section-hikes...i havent had the pleasure of staying @ this particular hostel yet, i dont know about this hostel...any un-biased info. would be appreciated.
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I think Ray and Loretta thru-hiked the AT but I forget which year. Seems to me that they were caretakers of the AYHA (American Youth Hostel Association) hostel just outside of Harpers Ferry when I passed through in 2003.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

ba chomp, ba chewy chewy chomp chomp's Avatar

I don't know if I buy this. Most of the hostels that I know of barely break even. As busy as Miss Janet is, she still needs to work another job just to pay her bills.

The Lord will provide.

Journal Entries
    Images

listen guys, they sent me that, i just copied it and pasted it here. i figured that some of you guys might know them. Jaybird, they are the caretakers of the Harpers Ferry Hostel which is located in Knoxville, Maryland right across the river from HF and just off the C&O Canal Trail which runs along side the AT in that Part of the country.Fooslogger, Ray & Loretta did hike the trail in 2001 and went by the trail names of "Skipper and Dusty". Ray has also thru hiked the PCT and is retired from the Navy. And by the way Lone Wolf, your right, The LORD wil provide, HE always does!

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Wanderer
    And by the way Lone Wolf, your right, The LORD wil provide, HE always does!
    Why do people say "The Lord will provide" and then ask for money?
    Frosty

Hostels and shelters are the same. They ain't needed. Wanted maybe. Way too many of both.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    Why do people say "The Lord will provide" and then ask for money?
    because christians like myself know that people like you have money and since we believe the Lord will provide and believe that you don't need as much of "your" money that is actually "HIS" money as you think you do i'd like you to send me a good chunk of it.............

A scam in the name of the Lord. Swaggert, Jim Jones, Baker, etc., etc. Buy a tent and hike.

Journal Entries
    Images

horsecrap Lone Wolf, don't tell me you never used the services of a hostel or two? what about the kincora?

Never stayed at Kincora.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Wanderer
    because christians like myself know that people like you have money and since we believe the Lord will provide and believe that you don't need as much of "your" money that is actually "HIS" money as you think you do i'd like you to send me a good chunk of it.............
    I have met some very fine religious (not limited to Christians) people, many of whom offered to help me while hiking and at other times. Sometimes their generosity astounded me. None asked for money. I think paying back in service to others is better. I fear that many who say, "I have this great idea for a community service, but a need a boatload of money first" really just want me to send them a big chunk of my money.

I think the best way to repay those kind folk who helped me is by helping someone else who would not expect to be helped.

I've also met some rather unpleasant people who claim to be highly religious but seem to lack any spirituality.

But I guess I'm a long way from talking about the Appalachian Trail now.
    Frosty

No Wanderer, I have never stayed at MRO hostel. I do not stay in hostels. Most are too crowded, noisy, dirty.

Journal Entries
    Images

[QUOTE=Frosty]I have met some very fine religious (not limited to Christians) people, many of whom offered to help me while hiking and at other times. Sometimes their generosity astounded me. None asked for money. I think paying back in service to others is better. I fear that many who say, "I have this great idea for a community service, but a need a boatload of money first" really just want me to send them a big chunk of my money.

I think the best way to repay those kind folk who helped me is by helping someone else who would not expect to be helped.

QUOTE]Frosty, I understand what your saying bud. But you guys are jumping right to a conclusion here. Read the letter again, where does it say anywhere in the name of GOD please help us with your money? All Loretta says here is that the LORD led us. Satan has got you decieved.
    I'll tell you something pal, I believe the LORD leads me to do alot of things. I talk to HIM about everything in my life and I believe HE gives HIS answer to them.....................quit attacking for no reason......

Spirit in search of experience. wacocelt's Avatar
    Images

Now I've heard some repugnant shyte in my day, but this here takes the cake. We're all just God's little coin purses hiking around dispensing his pennies of rightousness into the eagerly waiting hands of his petty sycophantic follwers. HIS money, hahahahahahaha!! I'll leave something in your collection plate alright...
    Everything is exactly as it should be. This too shall pass.

Well I took from the letter that "the lord" lead them to want to create a hostil biz for "us" hikers and to make a meger living doing something they love. If they are thru hikers they are true hikers and deserve the same respect as any others. It's not a big deal, e mail them and get the facts find out what their plans are. They might just have t good idea, there still some out there ya know. If you like what you hear send them 20 bucks and if you get ripped off then so what, at least you had it in "your" heart to do something positive and you lost 20 bucks. (you blew 20 bucks on pizza and beer last night, least I did) If you don't like what you hear then dont send anything and continue to bad mouth them but at least with the knowledge of having an EDUCATED opion. They asked for "investers" and made the statement of being a positive cast flow. To those who dont understand biz slang that means "an oportunity" FOR YOU if this is the kind of thing "you love to do too" and to the investers that YOU WILL MAKE A PROFIT TOO if it goe's over. They apparently have been working with hikers for awhile and I'm sure understand most don't have anything or much to contribute. They were just asking for your support when you come through. How many hiker boxes have you sifted through in your lifetime? Thats a contribution I've never heard anyone gripping about. And everyone who pitches something in there isn't some poor hiker.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

I pretty much agree with Lone Wolf about hostels and shelters, tho there ARE some notable exceptions for both. Anyway, it's only an opinion that usually keeps me away from these places but I still see the value in having them for those who don't share my views.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wacocelt
    Now I've heard some repugnant shyte in my day, but this here takes the cake. I'll leave something in your collection plate alright...
    yea, you get cocky with me and i'm one of them ole christian boys that don't turn the other cheek so fast.........

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++