WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Off the Trail before I begin

On a training hike I was going farther and with more weight than I ever had before. Thing were going well until I started back down a mountain here in the Seattle area. Searing pain on the side of my left knee. Tendinitis, worse than I've ever had before, reared its ugly head. I start physical therapy in 3 days and will be a 2014'er. Crazy how this works, but glad it happened at home instead of on the trail. Good luck to all you 2013'ers!

Images

Sorry to hear about that, Hiker! Hopefully you'll be back on the trail soon. Good luck, man.
    If a tree falls in the woods, be there to hear it.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tds1195 View Post
    Sorry to hear about that, Hiker! Hopefully you'll be back on the trail soon. Good luck, man.
    Thanks! I'll be ok. I was disappointed at first but then I realized it's just an opportunity to be even more prepared next year!

Oh, man, I feel your pain! You're looking at it the right way - a year to recover and train...I'm starting later this week, and most of my butterflies are related to possible knee issues. I've had good luck with Cho-Pat braces and have done several week-long trips using them this fall and winter. They itch and get sweaty, but the knees have held up. Good luck!

Images

Yep. We'd done some overnighters on the AT with packs that didn't weigh more than 20 lbs. No problems whatsoever. So we figured that we were in shape and all set. Then we set off to thru hike the AT in 2007 with packs that weighed in at nearly 40 lbs. We were off the trail at the NC border because my arches were collapsing....all due, I am convinced, to my too heavy pack. I couldn't go on or "hike thru the pain" without destroying my feet (that from the podiatrist I had to see). I've since done a few hundred more miles with a pack that weighs in at 25 lbs without any foot pain. You'll get there!
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sgt easy View Post
    I've had good luck with Cho-Pat braces and have done several week-long trips using them this fall and winter. They itch and get sweaty, but the knees have held up. Good luck!
    What model Cho-Pat brace are you using, as they several styles.

I'm recovering from a dislocated knee cap over Christmas and am wanting to increase my patellar protection and support the joint.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

Sorry things went awry and hope you recover for 2014.

Since your problem flared up on a steep descent, I wondered if you use trekking poles. They've helped save me knees.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Sorry things went awry and hope you recover for 2014.

Since your problem flared up on a steep descent, I wondered if you use trekking poles. They've helped save me knees.
    I use poles. I had them when it happened. It was just a case of too much for me at that time.

Hope things go better next year. I'll bring the spirit of the northwest there for you this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigHiker View Post
    Searing pain on the side of my left knee.
    Could it be IT Band Syndrome? Its a common overuse injury among runners, and I imagine its fairly common among hikers, too.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ajwatson View Post
    Could it be IT Band Syndrome? Its a common overuse injury among runners, and I imagine its fairly common among hikers, too.
    Apparently that's part of it, the IT band anyway. Range of motion in my hips is bad... I feel pretty confident I can fix it with PT, yoga, and exercise over the next year.

Sorry to hear that, but your attitude is awesome...good luck to you in the future Big hiker.

My response to knee problems is to loose a bunch of weight.
    A big hiker with bad knees is a 'no-win' situation, probably, once you pile on a pack and walk up and down steep mtns.
    Each pound you loose is 4 less pounds on your knees, according to research.

It's a very sad example of uphill making you sweat, but downhill doing real damage. Get better soon.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    My response to knee problems is to loose a bunch of weight.
    A big hiker with bad knees is a 'no-win' situation, probably, once you pile on a pack and walk up and down steep mtns.
    Each pound you loose is 4 less pounds on your knees, according to research.
    That's a "massive" part of the plan No really I lost about 15 lbs and plan to lose at least another 50 more before I hit the AT next year, so I couldn't agree with you more!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    It's a very sad example of uphill making you sweat, but downhill doing real damage. Get better soon.
    thanks and already working on it!

Images

http://www.cho-pat-store.com/chopat-...hoPDulAtn.html I got these 4 years ago after getting junpers knee. I have not had any problems with my knee since using these..

Like Terry - I have the dual action Cho-Pats. They take a bit of getting used to, especially on the back of the leg, until they wear in and develop creases; but they sure help the ligaments around the knee cap..poles are an absolute necessity as well, imho..

Nothing, not yoga, stretching or some crazy rolling device will strengthen knees like weightlifting, not just the muscels, but the very important connective tissue and joints. Hiking is a high-impact activity, weightlifting develops you shock absorbers to guard against that shock and the muscles to further reduce it. http://www.topendsports.com/fitness/technique-squat.htm

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Nothing, not yoga, stretching or some crazy rolling device will strengthen knees like weightlifting, not just the muscels, but the very important connective tissue and joints. Hiking is a high-impact activity, weightlifting develops you shock absorbers to guard against that shock and the muscles to further reduce it. http://www.topendsports.com/fitness/technique-squat.htm
    I've already started doing more squats and lunges.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++