WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gossamer Gear Shelters... Any Word?

Anyone heard any news about when Gossamer Gear will again be offering shelters or what those shelters might look like?
    This is an adventure.

Images

I would like to know also. The One looked like an awesome tent. How long can this research and development go on?

Journal Entries

The one is a great shelter. The rear pole setup is not exactly the best, but it works.
    I slept in mine last night.
    Its my preferred solo shelter, only a slight wt penalty compared to my hexamid. It has better weather protection than hexamid.
    If they bring it out in cuben, it will be a winner. Shouldnt be hard, since the spinnaker already doesnt stretch. Not sure why so long.

Images

I also love my The One. I got it when they first came out. 17 oz for a full-protection shelter is GREAT. I can't decide which is my favorite, The One, or the Wild Oasis. I go back and forth.

+1 for GG's The One. Some minor tweaking and as Muddy waters said going to cuben and GG's The One Is good to go in less exposed windy areas during 3 season thru-hiking/light snow loads. Plenty of room even for my giraffe like 6'4" frame, head room, decent ventilation, easy to get in and out of, bath tub floor, etc I like The One that's why I got one. I hope those guys over at GG come up with some worthwhile tweaks on it and don't totally discontinue it. I also liked their Spinnaker tarp but seeing as how many ULers are concerned about shaving those whopping last few ozs I understand you got to be innovated in the increasingly competitive UL market these days and that usually means the latest greatest lightest. That's what GG is probably doing. I do wonder how long some of these UL companies that basically arose from hikers who felt their own need to improvise and construct their own lighter better gear and then offered it to the public will continue with the establishment of SO MANY UL new comers WITH good UL products.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Gossamer Gear totally lost at least one customer (me) because no shelters or poles have been in stock since Thanksgiving. I know winter is the "off-season," but I can't be the only one who does 90% of his gear research and purchasing in said off-season. I'm feeling your pain, Sensei.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

another vote for them leaking some info on what they're doing... or doing it. They always have solid gear, an updated shelter similar to the one would be very very competitive. It was even while in sil, if it was .74 cuben it would be on of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by SCRUB HIKER View Post
    Gossamer Gear totally lost at least one customer (me) because no shelters or poles have been in stock since Thanksgiving. I know winter is the "off-season," but I can't be the only one who does 90% of his gear research and purchasing in said off-season. I'm feeling your pain, Sensei.
    You're definitely not the only one. I'm trying to solidify my kit by early April because hiking season is for hiking (!!). Plus, researching gear during the off season allows me to daydream about hiking when I'm not on trail. I know I can't be the only one in this boat, either. I am in the market for a new tarp, and I remember being very interested in the GG Spinnshelter, but I'm not going to wait much longer, so if they don't give us an update soon I'm going to have to make a purchase elsewhere.

I for one wish more companies would sell spinnaker shelters. Cuben is awesome, don't get me wrong, but the cheaper price point for spinnaker is hard to ignore when the weight penalty is (only) a few ounces.
    This is an adventure.

I for one wish more companies would sell spinnaker shelters. Cuben is awesome, don't get me wrong, but the cheaper price point for spinnaker is hard to ignore when the weight penalty is (only) a few ounces.

Good pt Sensei. It's one I've also considered. And the wt difference for such things as tarps is really negligible. A comparable wt and same sized Spinnaker tarp I had weighed a WHOPPING 1 1/2 oz heavier than the new Cuben one I bought, BOTH from the same UL gear manufacturer. And, I see no functional difference between the two tarps. Even mentioning Spinnaker is so passe in many UL circles. But, folks, like those in the UL community go gaga over the latest greatest a WEE BIT LIGHTER material. So that big UL merry-go-round makes another spin until.....the next spin....the next spin.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    The problem I understood, is that they couldnt get the spinnaker fabric they were using anymore.
    Im guessing nothing else would substitute well.

Some people have reported misting with spinnaker, because hydrostatic head is kind of low. But its like 1500mm, about same as the sil some mfgs use. Plenty have reported misting with silnylon too.

I havent had issues with it. It is far less expensive than cuben, doesnt stretch, and is a great tent fabric in my book. .

The one is a great tent

I'm sorry for being out of the One so long, there's no good excuse. We are just working on a lot of stuff at the same time, and some things, actually most things, are not progressing as quickly as we would like. I actually set up a sample in my backyard this afternoon. If you liked the old One, you will love the new One when it comes out (and no, I can't even guess when that would be, sorry). We tweaked the geometry so there's more headroom at the head end, it's easier to set up and get a taut pitch the first time, the ventilation is simplified, there are higher sides on the bathtub floor, and better coverage by the vestibule. Fabric is still an issue. We have found a fabric that is only a little lighter than silnylon, but much more waterproof, but nothing in the weight range of our old spinnaker. We could just go to cuben fiber, but it's so expensive. So, sorry for the delay, we don't want to bring it back until we're completely happy with it.

Images

Thanks for the update Glen. I will be looking forward to seeing (and perhaps buying) the new, updated The One - great shelter.

Images

Any updates? I'd like to buy another Spinntwinn.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Thanks Glen for the update. Looking forward to see what you come up with. Cheers.

I never owned a GG Spinntwinn but I know several who were very happy with it over the long term, saw several of them set up, slept under one more than once, and it was advertised with no misleading info. If you set up the ST correctly with a taut pitch equally tensioning the guy outs it's a SOLID performer. It's sized nicely for very good solo coverage too!

Images

Yeah I really liked mine. I wish I didn't sell it!
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    The problem I understood, is that they couldnt get the spinnaker fabric they were using anymore.
    Im guessing nothing else would substitute well.

Some people have reported misting with spinnaker, because hydrostatic head is kind of low. But its like 1500mm, about same as the sil some mfgs use. Plenty have reported misting with silnylon too.

I havent had issues with it. It is far less expensive than cuben, doesnt stretch, and is a great tent fabric in my book. .
    I had two different custom sized spinnaker tarps. One was made with the .9 oz. per sq yd that the Spinntwinn was made from and the other spinnaker was OH SO SLIGHTLY heavier wt per sq yd (Spinn Tex, EXP Spinnaker). Spent many a night under those tarps in DELUGES. NEVER had ONE DROP come through the fabric! I did know of at least two UL cottage tarp manufacturers that were once using insanely light wt. spinnaker fabric(on the order of being somewhat fragile and of questionable hydrostatic head pressures in the quest to shave another ounce) which in all most likely hood had greater susceptibility to misting. Issues about fabric characteristics can sometimes be directly attributed to their version, wt per sq/yd, etc and not be indicative of that fabric in general.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I never owned a GG Spinntwinn but I know several who were very happy with it over the long term, saw several of them set up, slept under one more than once, and it was advertised with no misleading info. If you set up the ST correctly with a taut pitch equally tensioning the guy outs it's a SOLID performer. It's sized nicely for very good solo coverage too!
    Have it and LOVE it!
    I don't know

My favorite shelter had always been the Spinnshelter. Light and a more flexible design than the the other designs when combined with a bug bivy ot bugnet and very storm proof.

I know others had tried to order one, but found it was discontinued.
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++