WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Warrant Issued For Man Who Attempted to Kidnap Hikers

http://www.timesnews.net/article/905...empt-on-hikers

Warrant issued for Roan Mountain man accused in kidnapping attempt on hikers

By staff report
    ERWIN — A capias has been issued for the Carter County man charged last May with allegedly attempting to take a group of hikers hostage at the Beauty Spot lookout on Unaka Mountain.

Marcus Birchfield, 962 Hampton Creek Road, Roan Mountain, was scheduled to appear in Criminal Court for a plea deadline hearing but did not appear in court.

Judge Lynn Brown ordered a capias for his arrest. Birchfield was arrested in May and charged with five counts of aggravated kidnapping and one count each of unlawful possession of a weapon, criminal impersonation, simple possession of a Schedule II drug and possession of drug paraphernalia.

A Unicoi County grand jury indicted Birchfield on these charges in October. Sheriff Mike Hensley said last May he received the report of a man holding several hikers hostage at the Beauty Spot lookout.

The caller reported a man claiming to be a game warden had approached the group of five campers with a gun drawn and had ordered them to get down on their hands and knees, Hensley said.

As officials began to ascend the mountain to get to the scene, a second 911 came in, this time advising officials that the hikers, two of whom were U.S. Coast Guard officers, had removed Birchfield’s gun from his possession and were able to subdue him, Hensley said.

Hensley said the gun found in Birchfield’s possession was fully loaded and he was also found to be in possession of a bottle containing oxycodone and a sniffing straw.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Someone please tell me why a guy that attempted to kidnap someone at gunpoint while impersonating a law enforcement officer is out on bail?

Someone needs to run this guys family tree and see who in the local judicial system might be related :banghead:
    Last edited by bfayer; 02-13-2013 at 12:25.

Default how

How?
    Answer....not a public defendant.
    Oh, and some money to burn. Wonder where that came from...drugs maybe?

Not sure he tried to kidnap them, but did line them up at gun point. Luckily, the section hiker knocked him out before he had to decide what to do with the hikers. Could have been really bad.

they shoulda killed him at the scene

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Camel2012 View Post
    Not sure he tried to kidnap them, but did line them up at gun point. Luckily, the section hiker knocked him out before he had to decide what to do with the hikers. Could have been really bad.
    He was charged with 4 counts of kidnaping?

LW, In hind sight it sounds like it was better that they didn't. It doesn't sound like the local legal system is impartial with this guy or his family.

I just got through talking to someone that knows the perps family and apparently they are well connected to the local community and a local church.

They say justice is blind, but I would not want to try to explain why I just shot a local pillar of the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Camel2012 View Post
    Not sure he tried to kidnap them, but did line them up at gun point.
    That falls within the legal definition of kidnapping if you are indeed NOT a law enforcement official.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    As they say, hindsight is 20-20.

I concede the kidnapping part. I'm no lawyer.

Have to charge them with something.

I read that he is a well known local, really nice guy until something, with him, went terribly wrong. Sometimes it's hard to see a person that you thought you knew turn into someone you don't even recognize. Scary stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    I believe site policy forbids advocating criminal activity, such as murder. And killing this fool, when other means stopped him, would be murder.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD:1416464
    I read that he is a well known local, really nice guy until something, with him, went terribly wrong. Sometimes it's hard to see a person that you thought you knew turn into someone you don't even recognize. Scary stuff!
    I believe they said he was a preacher, but some kind of injury and a prescription drug addiction have him all whacked out, but don't quote me on that.

Journal Entries

My recollection is the hikers he assaulted said he wanted drugs from them. He was looking to party some more, and figured hikers = drugs.

Images

There's always mooning!

Quote Originally Posted by Karma13:1416487
    There's always mooning!
    Now that is funny!

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Someone please tell me why a guy that attempted to kidnap someone at gunpoint while impersonating a law enforcement officer is out on bail?

Someone needs to run this guys family tree and see who in the local judicial system might be related :banghead:
    Here is why:
    Eccl 8:11 "Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil."

Our current justice system is based on the false premise that rehabilitation is the primary purpose of justice. The presumption of innocence must remain. But the presumption of man's ability to change a warped heart and/or mind is greatly exaggerated and clouds the minds of those executing justice. A moral mantra against punishment being the primary purpose of a well regulated justice system and the impossible amount of money required to accomplish the unreachable task of rehabilitating those that deserve punishment instead are the causes of the current moral decay of our country and why dangerous people not being lock up.

In short, there is not enough resources on the planet to accomplish this impossible utopian goal. Ergo, dangerous people are on the street. There is a better way, but it would be viewed political and quickly removed.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    All maybe true Hiker Mom, but I have friends that know the victims, so my perspective is a little different. This dirt bag has touched two communities I care about, and all I want to see now is him off the street.

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    All maybe true Hiker Mom, but I have friends that know the victims, so my perspective is a little different. This dirt bag has touched two communities I care about, and all I want to see now is him off the street.
    And I don't blame you or them at all. I feel the same way, I don't know anyone that was associated with this crime, but i feel very strongly about this, myself. He should NEVER have been set free after what he did on the Bald. He needs help. No one should have to deal with these things on the trail or any where else, for that matter. Don't get me started.... I agree with you 110%.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Now that is funny!
    Really? he had a group of hikers on their knees with a gun to their head.

Does not sound funny to me.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

What screwed him up was the people he tried to kidnap were all marines. They captured and hogtied him and then called the law.

Talk about picking the wrong target.....

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    What screwed him up was the people he tried to kidnap were all marines. They captured and hogtied him and then called the law.

Talk about picking the wrong target.....
    wrong. they were NOT Marines. the outcome would have been a lot different

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++