WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pet suggestions

Images

Default Pet suggestions

So everything is working out great for my March start... except for what to do with my dogs. My family refuses to watch them for 6 months. The long-term boarding options are crazy expensive, and they can't hike with me. I've offered my friends $$ for dog sitting, and no one's biting. Anybody have suggestions that don't involve selling them?

I'm sure this is a post somewhere else, but my search function isn't working and I only have a few weeks left, sorry!

sorry but I would not leave my dog for 6 months, far to important to me

Journal Entries
    Images

Well you left out what kind of dogs and you could have posted in the dog forum... what part of PA?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

They're 2 puggles. 1 is 30 lbs, the other is 22. I'm in York, PA.

I thought about posting on the dog forum, but that said "dogs on the trail", this is "dogs staying at home" ;-)

Images

Will you be paying for your home either way?

If you offered free rent and paid for whatever the dogs needed, I think you'd find someone to live in your home for taking care of your dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post

If you offered free rent and paid for whatever the dogs needed, I think you'd find someone to live in your home for taking care of your dogs.
    This seems like it might be your best bet. If this doesnt work out and I was in the situation your in, Id bag the trip.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post

Heck I would do that! Haha - but seriously...go with this. May be your best bet.
    If a tree falls in the woods, be there to hear it.

Images

Nope, the house is already rented, so seeing how I'm technically homeless now, the dogs have to go somewhere or be sold. I really really do not want to sell them...

I've been offering $ for friends and family to watch them, but no one even asked how much!

I found a decent priced place in CA last night, but was hoping someone had a better our closer solution.

How long have you owned the dogs?

Call your vets. I got a number from mine.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    I found a decent priced place in CA last night, but was hoping someone had a better our closer solution.
    I'm in CA too, and love dogs, but cannot offer to help because I'm the only member in my immediate and most of my extended family that is not allergic to dogs.

Some folks do animal rescue out of their homes. I'm sure that gets expensive. They might be willing to take in your dogs if they are well mannered (to teach the other dogs) and if you'll sponsor a few other animals too.

Maybe that won't work, but it's what I came up with when placing ads on something like Craigslist and trying to confirm that the person is legit. You could try asking those boarding places, pet stores, and groomers for references.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean:1417413
    How long have you owned the dogs?
    I've had one for 5 years, the other for 2. They jump at company and occasionally play fight, otherwise are well mannered and sleep a lot. I have a groomer and trainer checking for me. Vet appointment is next week.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Journal Entries
    Images

We found a stay in home boarding family who made a great deal for long term boarding our Chihuahua in New Hampshire. Check with you vet and local pet supply store. Look for a locally owned pet supply store to inquire at if possible. That was how we located our boarder. Puggle rescue may know of a foster home willing to do a long term boarding arrangement also. I had that lined up as a back up. I have to tell you it was hard dropping Bruno off. I keep having dreams that he won't want to come home with us when we go to pick him up.
    A Vegan/Gluten Free hiking family of three hiking the AT.

Bring one, board one. Right there, your costs are cut in 1/2 by 50%.

Dont know how old your dogs are, but I'd bring the younger one.

Images

I wish they could hike, but there's just no way. The younger one gets tired just walking around the block, lol.
    Ever4ward- thanks for the idea of contacting puggle rescue. I'm waiting on a reply from them. I'm sure your dog will remember exactly who you are when you finish I have a vet appointment tonight and I plan on asking them for suggestions. I'll let you know what they say!

EJC, sounds like you didn't plan to fail, but you failed to plan......just go do section hikes, problem solved...easy like that!

Images

I know that I couldn't have done my thruhike at all without feeling very good about where my animals were staying. I actually moved in with a friend before my hike, with all my animals. She agreed to keep the three cats when I moved out, and stored my stuff as well. I can't ever thank her enough. I completely trust her to take care of my cats as well as I do.

My dog was harder, but I have friends in Colorado who had adopted a dog I previously fostered. For years I have been taking my dog to go visit them, so the dogs all had a good relationship ahead of time. They agreed to keep my dog for me, and not only took great care of her, but texted me pictures and videos of her while I was hiking.

I know I was lucky. That is the only reason I was able to go, because my pets are my family. I know someone who found a new home for her animals, but she felt bad about it since one of the homes made her cat live outside and the cat disappeared. She still feels guilty about that.

Anyway, you could contact local pet supply stores (not ones that sell live animals) and rescue groups to see if they have any references for somebody who might foster your dogs while you're gone. They may also know of pet sitters that might take in your dogs at a cheaper price than a boarding kennel.

Good luck. If you can't work it out, I'd say the humane thing would be to delay your hike and spend the next year figuring out the responsible way to deal with your animals. Whatever you do, DO NOT take them to a shelter. Unless it is a no kill shelter owner surrendered animals are euthanized almost immediately because they know nobody will come looking for them and they need the room to hold the strays as required by law.

Do right by your dogs. If all else fails, see if you can find them new, good homes yourself.

It's too bad you already rented your place - that's what we're doing with a renter to care for our three cats (dog is going to my mother's). On top of Puggle rescue, maybe look for other non-profits that foster in your area and offer a donation in exchange for boarding? I know long-term boarding is expensive, but we had a place lined up in case we couldn't find a renter who clicked with the cats. We figured it was part of the cost of hiking. FWIW, we found our renter on Craigslist. Maybe you can find a boarding situation there? But we had our ad out there for several months and took our time answering/meeting people so we could be relatively assured our renter wasn't making a knee-jerk decision based on $$.

Images

Update:

Found a dog farm in VA that costs more than I wanted to pay, but is exactly the situation I want my dogs to live in. It's a rural farm that is secured. She's been allowing dogs into her home for doggie daycare and longterm boarding for years. She has a FB page with many references, pictures, videos of dogs she has boarded, the house and surrounding farm areas. She said that they are "near full" but is going to allow my dogs to stay inside with her dogs since they are small. She even is either going to drive to the trail when I hit VA to have a visit or allow me to camp in her yard with my dogs! She agree to do as many phone calls and e-mailed pictures as makes me feel comfortable. I'm still incredibly nervous about giving them to a stranger, but this one seems to be a good person to watch them!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    Update:

Found a dog farm in VA that costs more than I wanted to pay, but is exactly the situation I want my dogs to live in. It's a rural farm that is secured. She's been allowing dogs into her home for doggie daycare and longterm boarding for years. She has a FB page with many references, pictures, videos of dogs she has boarded, the house and surrounding farm areas. She said that they are "near full" but is going to allow my dogs to stay inside with her dogs since they are small. She even is either going to drive to the trail when I hit VA to have a visit or allow me to camp in her yard with my dogs! She agree to do as many phone calls and e-mailed pictures as makes me feel comfortable. I'm still incredibly nervous about giving them to a stranger, but this one seems to be a good person to watch them!
    Sounds really great. Will she let you look all around the place and inside where your dogs will be staying? Maybe let your friends or family visit the dogs occasionally (if you can get them to go). I'm happy for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++