WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: which one

Default which one

I am having a hard time deciding which is better for my lighter weight adventures: the MSR Nook or the Mountain Hardware kilo 2, both seem to fit my needs, just which one will survive the smokies crazy weather this year

I couldnt find the Mountain Hardware Kilo 2, but I did find a Easton Mountain Kilo 2... Are you specifically looking at 2 person tents, or are these what you have available for choices? If you don't need a 2 person tent specifically, I would check out some of the lighter-weight tarp/tents that might fit your need.

As a side note, depending on where/when you are going in the Smokies, you will be required to stay in the shelters that are provided (unless something has changed?).

Default which one

Yep, brain fart, the easton kilo 2p. I try to hit up the reserved campsites when I get a chance, and since 441 has been washed out, I might have to use a campsite before hitting any shelters. Also, I don't like to venture overnight in the mountains without some sort of shelter, you never know what may pop up

I'm with you 100% on carrying a shelter all the time. And there is some real nice camping in the Smokies (shhh!). If this is specifically for backpacking in the Smokies, I would def. consider something as lightweight as possible, as it will be for emergencies mostly. If you are thru-hiking/backpacking elsewhere/going to stay in it most nights, I think either one is fine (although a little heavy for my personal tastes) if you prefer a solid tent. Is there a reason you are looking at 2P tents?

++ New Posts ++