WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Question Food Bag hanging gear.......

I couldn't narrow this question down to a particular forum, so hopefully this is the proper place for it. Can you guys please recommend the best place to buy an already assembled hanging system or point out the components you've gathered on your own? I know it's not really rocket science but I'm sure there are tried-and-true systems already being used and since I'm new to all this, Murphy's 36th law of Newbie hikers dictates I would surely slap together something doomed to failure once I actually tried to use it. I would appreciate taping into your wealth of knowledge and experience, if I may. Thanks! (I already have a waterproof dry bag for my food bag, just need the proper cord/throw bag/etc combination to go with it. Heaviest I EXPECT would be whatever a four to five day haul of food would weigh in at, between resupply points up to Damascus from Springer. At least I HOPE I never have to carry more than that....)

I use an Ursack Minor, Carbiner and 50 feet of Para cord. I have not had a problem

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I sleep with my food. Never had a problem in 38 years. Too old to change now! Antigravity Gear sells a nice kit as does Gossamer Gear and others.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    I sleep with my food. Never had a problem.
    Maybe in Alabama, not in Montana...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    I couldn't narrow this question down to a particular forum, so hopefully this is the proper place for it. Can you guys please recommend the best place to buy an already assembled hanging system or point out the components you've gathered on your own? I know it's not really rocket science but I'm sure there are tried-and-true systems already being used and since I'm new to all this, Murphy's 36th law of Newbie hikers dictates I would surely slap together something doomed to failure once I actually tried to use it. I would appreciate taping into your wealth of knowledge and experience, if I may. Thanks! (I already have a waterproof dry bag for my food bag, just need the proper cord/throw bag/etc combination to go with it. Heaviest I EXPECT would be whatever a four to five day haul of food would weigh in at, between resupply points up to Damascus from Springer. At least I HOPE I never have to carry more than that....)
    I use a standard stuff sack (think REI), mini-biner and 50' of nylon cord.

This isn't hard.

Images

Stuff sack and parachord. Works like a charm!
    If a tree falls in the woods, be there to hear it.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BradMT View Post
    Maybe in Alabama, not in Montana...
    Actually all along the AT. After all this is an AT forum, not Montana.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

I use a small Throw Sack, 50 ft of cord, and an Carabiner and i use the PCT method.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    I use a small Throw Sack, 50 ft of cord, and an Carabiner and i use the PCT method.
    What is the PCT method? I've always thought that it was a "one size fits all" when it comes to bear bagging?

50' of zing-it, a steel mini s-biner stored in tiny drawstring cuben bag that I use as a throw bag. Right around 1 ounce if memory serves.

David

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintop View Post
    What is the PCT method? I've always thought that it was a "one size fits all" when it comes to bear bagging?
    The PCT method is a technique that allows you to hang the bag without tying the line to a tree.

With the PCT method, if the bear gets a hold of the line and pulls, the bag goes up. If it chews the line, the bag does not fall.

If you do a search on YouTube you will find a bunch of videos. Some make it look much harder than it actually is. It is mans nature to complicate the incredibly simple
    Last edited by bfayer; 02-14-2013 at 13:22.

As another newbie, can I piggy back and ask...what size stuff sack/food bag do you need for a normal resupply length (say, 5 or 6 days max). Is 10L enough?

I bought a 13L bag. Works for me. I like food.

Images

This is what I use, 1.2 oz and incredibly strong. You can use any bag for your food.

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...products_id=90

I would also highly recommend learning the PCT method. After you master it you can quickly learn to spot the perfect trees and get the line across the branch in no time.

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

Swami's comments come to mind here about using a OP-Sak to store his food in, and he "never had any problems with any critters on any of the trails" that he walked on. I'm assuming by this that he didn't bear-bag; not sure. I didn't hang my food on my last hike either while using one of those, I think they really work. Perhaps a combination of using a OP-Sak and hanging would prevent almost any bear problems? Never had a close encounter, nor have I heard too many opinions, so I don't know. I believe Andrew Skurka does not bear-bag either (uses food bag as a pillow.. sounds comfy).

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I use one from Antigravity gear (http://www.antigravitygear.com/antig...-725-line.html). But it's the same as what everyone else here has posted about. Lightweight stuff sack for paracord with a loop in it and a carabiner. The bag you put your food is in up to you. I've used a stuff sack, compression sack and backpack. Sometimes, I just sleep with my food. Depends on how risky I feel
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

I think half of the injuries I saw along the trail were from folk tryin' to get up bear bags. One of 'em was pretty serious, cut to the bone on the back of his hand outside Pairisburg. I sleep with my food.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    I think half of the injuries I saw along the trail were from folk tryin' to get up bear bags. One of 'em was pretty serious, cut to the bone on the back of his hand outside Pairisburg. I sleep with my food.
    Come on, we need the rest of the story, how does someone cut their hand to the bone hanging a bear bag? What did they do, use their hatchet as a throw rock?

Line attached to rock. Rock gets stuck. Guy tugs on line. Rock gets unstuck. Fortunately the guy was a RN for Germany. Fingers still moved but tendons were visible.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Line attached to rock. Rock gets stuck. Guy tugs on line. Rock gets unstuck. Fortunately the guy was a RN for Germany. Fingers still moved but tendons were visible.
    Ouch. Note to self, always pick a smooth round rock

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++