WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Juicy View Post
    I don't finish school until the beginning of may, and I can't get out to the trail until the 10-15th. I'm not too picky on direction of travel except for I'm afraid of being too lonely if I go SoBo. But now I'm thinking that speed hiking will leave me pretty lonely too seeing as I'll just be flying by everyone. I'm not worried about making it within 5 months, because I know I can do it. I'm 21, in great shape and my packweight is under 15 pounds. I get the impression SoBo will be full of long lonely days and nights. I'm wondering which one I should do. Mid May NoBo vs. mid June SoBo.
    you're 22. what's the rush?

Mid May NoBo vs. mid June SoBo.

I got to be careful. I've already own the record for the longest avg post this month.

Think outside those limited options. You can flip flop, leap frog, hike fast going part of the way in one direction, then flip and go slower the other way, do part this yr and finish next yr, etc etc etc. I'm going to resist analyzing all the pros and cons for you. It's your hike. Do the homework. You design what's right for your wanna go hiking situation. Plenty of info discussing the various options right here on WB and through AT materials like the AT companion, etc etc etc These things have been discussed MANY times here. Do the thread searches on WB. If you think outside the box you'll find there are unlimited options to completing the AT over the course of one yr or more.

CF97 > Everything Else.

Friends never let friends hike sobo
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

My wife and I are leaving Harper's Ferry on May 15th to start our Flip Flop. It took extra time to sell our house. I'm glad I'm missing the crowd in GA, NC, TN, getting part of the NOBO and SOBO experience, missing early spring in the Smokies and missing mid-Summer in VA, not sweating the park service closing Baxter State Park early. The lust goes on and on.

I'm in a similar boat- I'm graduating on May 19th and leaving for the trail on May 20th. I know you said you didn't like the idea of flip-flopping, but I'll be starting in Virginia (haven't decided exactly where yet) in May and heading NOBO. Not sure if I will be able to finish the southern half this summer or if it will have to wait until next summer, but at some point I will do the Southern portion (probably start later and do SOBO).

I know you've said you don't want to flip-flop, but IF you want to hike with people and you want to start in mid to late May, I think it's your only option. It's the same old story, we can give you two of your three desires, not all of them. I wouldn't wait another year for your hike, but I guess that's an option. My suggestion is to start in Harpers Ferry, WV in May and hike north. Most of the hikers you meet will be fast hikers then. Once you get to Mt Katahdin, take a bus out of Milliknocket down to, I think, Boston, MA or maybe Portland ME. Then get on the train into Washington DC and take the train out to Harpers Ferry again and hike south. You won't have as much company going south from Harpers Ferry, but the most important part of the hike, if you want company, is the north bound section. Plus, by the time you reach Mt Katahdin, hiking alone probably won't seem as intimidating.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    My wife and I are leaving Harper's Ferry on May 15th to start our Flip Flop. It took extra time to sell our house. I'm glad I'm missing the crowd in GA, NC, TN, getting part of the NOBO and SOBO experience, missing early spring in the Smokies and missing mid-Summer in VA, not sweating the park service closing Baxter State Park early. The lust goes on and on.
    Maybe I'll see you on the trail. I can't leave until mid-May either and have pretty much bought into the flip flop as the best option. Good luck!

a lot of overthinking going on here. Finish school, go to Springer, and start hiking. It'll be fine.

If you really want it, you'll find a way.

There's nothing "magical" about hiking directly from Springer to Maine. You don't get a different certificate from the ATC if you take 30 years or 3 months to hike the AT. There's no 'official ATC' "Thru Hiker" designation ... everyone is a "2000 Miler" whether the Trail is 2100 miles or 2200 miles [due to re-locations].

I'm aware that it's a Personal Mental designation ... and if Your Hike won't be "real" unless you see every White Blaze on the Trail in sequential order, then you will have to work to make it so. What "should" you do? What are our suggestions for you?

If you want to Thru Hike SoBo, you "should" do so. Buy some Adirondack Black Fly Dope ... I found some at Gander Mountain but it's not listed online. ALSO, spray your clothing with Permethrin. Use one of the DEET products [30% reportedly is good enough] or Repel eucalyptus lemon insect repellent [which doesn't degrade plastics or gore-tex]. [You'll probably need these whether you SoBo or NoBo.]

Ultimately it's your decision. We can suggest, but you have to find your own way.

I will give you this piece of advice [from a 68 1/2 year old woman], if you'll take it. If you have the time and the money to hike this year and this is your best opportunity, then Go For It. It doesn't really matter if you go SoBo or NoBo, just Do It. I missed more than one opportunity in my youth that I wish I'd taken. Now, I have the time, kind of have the money, and I also have arthritis and other signs of aging which will slow me down. I 'should have' hiked when I had those other opportunities ... and believe me, once you start working and let 'life' get in the way, time flies by and your 20-something-year-old-body suddenly becomes a 65-year-old-body. Even though you may not "feel old" believe me, your body will find opportunities to show you that you are no longer 20 or 30 or 40 years old. In my 30's I rode a bike 10-20 miles a day and had rock hard thighs and calves. In my 40's I could carry 50 pounds on my back and hump over the mountains of North Georgia and the Smokies and the Ozarks. [Then life a 'few' Praline Pecan Parfaits got in the way.] I describe myself now as "Aunt Bea" from The Andy Griffith Show, but wearing blue jeans.

At least you're smarter than I was at your age ... you're carrying a much lighter pack and will probably be able to hike well into your 70's and 80's ... I admire that you for that.

May I suggest that you read Zach Davis' book "Appalachian Trials" and check out his blog "The Good Badger" ... there's a lot of good advice for all of us, hikers or not, in both.

And then ... Go Hike ... flip a coin ... let your parents flip a coin ... heads "Maine" and tails "Springer" ... and then Go For It.

Let us know how you progress ... and have a Great Hike ... Maybe I'll see you on the Trail, I'm headed NoBo from MD in May. [I'll be the grey haired woman with the lime green fanny pack.]

Coosa

My blog, dedicated to my Dad: Chasing the Trail
    Proverbs 4:26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
    Hike Your Own Hike

Quote Originally Posted by Juicy View Post
    I don't finish school until the beginning of may, and I can't get out to the trail until the 10-15th. I'm not too picky on direction of travel except for I'm afraid of being too lonely if I go SoBo. But now I'm thinking that speed hiking will leave me pretty lonely too seeing as I'll just be flying by everyone. I'm not worried about making it within 5 months, because I know I can do it. I'm 21, in great shape and my packweight is under 15 pounds. I get the impression SoBo will be full of long lonely days and nights. I'm wondering which one I should do. Mid May NoBo vs. mid June SoBo.
    Another option to consider is a "flip flop". Join thru hikers mid-May in Damascus VA or further north going NOBO and then finish going SOBO after summiting Katahdin.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by mcstick View Post
    a lot of overthinking going on here. Finish school, go to Springer, and start hiking. It'll be fine.
    With mcstick on this one. My girlfriend and I aren't starting until about May 6th. Same here waiting on her to finish school. HYOH

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++