WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Wink What are you afraid of

Our concerns for the walk are hypothermia (lots of rain, maybe snow, wind and walking at high altitude -above 4000 feet), bears (that would like to share our snacks), Rattle snakes and of course, Americans (big smile and a large wink)
    Snow is something we read of in books, see in Christmas cards and now hear we may have to walk through. the same goes for bears and rattlesnakes

Walking to raise funds for the Peninsula School Feeding Association
    Read more….http://1000atmiles.webs.com/apps/blog/
    The At leaves you breathless and gives you stories to tell. Scatterlings of Africa on a long walk to freedom

My biggest fear is ticks and poison ivy

Journal Entries

Default What are you afraid of

Rattlesnakes and copperheads are probably on the top of my list. Never been concerned about the bears, saw one near Springer a few months ago and loved it.
    RIAP

Images

Ticks, mouse poop in my food bag and never getting used to hiker stink.
    Probably in that order.

Images

Ticks. General physical inadequacy.

HEIGHTS.

But whatcha gonna do? Don't look down and keep on stepping.

Images

Bears are not really an issue. You'll probably see a couple of them over the course of your hike -- it's a cool thing when it happens. Mini-bears, a.k.a. mice, are more of a problem when it comes to your food.

There are rattlesnakes in several places on the trail, but again, not really an issue. I've seen one, years ago, sunning itself in the middle of the trail. Copperheads are more dangerous because they don't let you know they are there before they strike, but again, not a big deal overall. Just don't pick up the cute little snakes and try to play with them.

Americans are very dangerous. We're all heavily armed, all the time, and the slightest little thing will set us off. Be afraid. Better yet, avoid any sort of conversation or other interaction with anyone you meet on the trail.

Finally, hypothermia is a real concern, especially early in the hike. It doesn't have to be all that cold for it, though -- being exhausted and hungry and dehydrated can lead to hypothermia even in mild temps (50s F). Keep an eye out for the warning signs (the "umbles" -- when you start to grumble, stumble, and mumble), make sure you keep at least one set of dry clothing, and if you have to walk all day in a cold rain, try to at least be warm inside your rain shell -- you'll be wet, trust me. And stuff your pockets with energy bars so you can eat without stopping. Remember that the first thing hypothermia does is to make you stupid -- you start making bad decisions, which of course doesn't help matters at all.

Happy trails!
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Them durn furriners !! "(big smile and a large wink)" Reminds me of the joke about the American overseas marveling at all the foreigners.

Mostly, I was afraid of running out of food. (Sorry, Daypack !) I was also afraid of severe (cold) weather. I was pretty confident otherwise. I have no problems with snakes, rodents, bears, etc. Taste like chicken.

I was worried about problems popping up at at home and cutting the trip short. I SHOULD have been more worried about @$##@& mud puddles !!
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    My biggest fear is ticks and poison ivy
    Poision ivy is a song title. What does it look like how will we recognize it can you take a tablet for that
    what does it do
    The At leaves you breathless and gives you stories to tell. Scatterlings of Africa on a long walk to freedom

Quote Originally Posted by OzJacko View Post
    Ticks, mouse poop in my food bag and never getting used to hiker stink.
    Probably in that order.
    How much do you know about snow.

I'm mostly afraid about people talking to me. I take efforts to avoid talking to people every day but it won't be as easy on the trail. Also, problems arising at home could easily occur to force me to leave the trail and return home to deal with.

Americans are very dangerous. We're all heavily armed, all the time, and the slightest little thing will set us off. Be afraid. Better yet, avoid any sort of conversation or other interaction with anyone you meet on the trail.

Sounds like I need to be protected against this dangerous species on the trail
    can they be tamed with food or gentle conversation if you stroke them or sing to them are they soothed
    is there a spray or cream I can use to protect ourself

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mulungu View Post
    How much do you know about snow.
    A little bit.
    Enough to know a little bit is fine, a lot is a town stay.

Images

Coming from South Africa Im sure that if you do any hiking over there that what you would experience as far as wildlife goes far surpasses what you will see here. Just remember that whenever you see a bear on the AT that you are almost garunteed to not be the first person it has seen. As far as rattle snakes, learn about them, respect them, and watch for them. I have never seen one and almost am always hiking in rattlesnake areas.

As far as the weather goes, if you have never seen snow what to expect:
    Its cold wet and not alot of fun, but that is somewhat of an opinion. If it is snowing I would say pitch your tent instead of staying in the shelter, have a good sleeping pad before a good sleeping bag and it is always better to be over prepared than to not have something you really need/want.

Enjoy your hike and welcome to America!
    Mile Marker 1095
    Gambit McCrae

Images

Sounds like I need to be protected against this dangerous species on the trail
    can they be tamed with food or gentle conversation if you stroke them or sing to them are they soothed
    is there a spray or cream I can use to protect ourself
    If you stroke me with a protective cream I might spray.
    Mile Marker 1095
    Gambit McCrae

Images

Snow, snow, snow, snow, snow. It can be light and fluffy! It can be wet and heavy and unpleasant! It can be the stick-together kind that makes good snowmen, or the powdery kind that doesn't stick together at all. It can be mixed with icy and slippery on hills, or deep-deep-deep. Nothing like the grip of deep wet snow on your thigh when your leg goes into a hole. Nothing like the shock of snow falling into your boot!

But whatever it is, I'm with Oz--any significant amount of it, and I'll be in town enjoying it from the other side of the window. Preferably with a hot cocoa.

Images

Poision ivy is a song title. What does it look like how will we recognize it can you take a tablet for that
    what does it do
    There are two kinds: poison ivy and poison oak. Both have sets of three pointed green leaves. The poison oak looks kind of like a small tree sprouting, the other is a vine that can grow just about anywhere. Either will make you breakout in a rash that developes into oozing iching blisters. People's reaction to it varies. Wash your skin with soap and water if you think you have touched it. Apply benedryl cream to the rash to help with the iching. It will go away in about a week. If you are lucky you'll be one of the few that has no rection to it.

Images

I meant reaction not rection. Why can't you edit these posts?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    I meant reaction not rection. Why can't you edit these posts?
    Donating members can edit.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Karma13 View Post
    Donating members can edit.
    Thanks! I'll look into that.
    Last edited by jimmyjam; 02-15-2013 at 09:53.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++