WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Danger on the AT?

I have had a lifelong dream to thru-hike the AT. Maybe 2014, I am totally against bringing a gun during my hike. My 23 yr old son thinks I'm crazy not too. Many of his friends say they know people who have hiked the AT and muggings happen frequently. My question is to anyone who has section hiked or thru-hiked the AT. Have you ever been threatened or mudded on the AT? My son is also worried about animals, any problems with them? I told him that if I was even a little worried about meeting up with some violence I wouldn't attempt the hike. I feel there is more chance of him getting mugged in the city than me being mugged on the AT.

Images

this is a very hot and controversial topic on WB that has been debated many times. if you will do a quick search you should find a number of fairly recent discussions pop up. not too many fence sitters on this one. overall the consensous would appear to favor not carrying, due to the relative safety and all the logistics that come into play with the decision to carry on the trail.

Images

They happen, but not frequently. You're more likely to get mugged walking around the street...

I'm a section hiker. There are a ton of thru-hikers here, though. I've never had any problems.

You won't need a gun - you'll see animals but they're not a problem. Just make sure to read up on how to handle encounters with bears, snakes, etc. It's not nearly as dangerous as your son seems to think it is.

Welcome to WB!
    If a tree falls in the woods, be there to hear it.

I have Thru-Hiked three times and yes i was robbed in 2006, going through central VA just about a mile south of the Troutdale/ daleville Interchange, but the robber only got 20 dollars in cash and a little bit of change. and no i do not advise anybody to carry guns on any trail especially the AT, Robberies and other crimes really don't happen that frequent,For as Animals are concerned you only need to watch out for the shelter mice they can be visious and i meen down right Mean. The other Animals Bears, Deer, Raccoons, ETC they will pretty much stay out of your way.

I believe in our 2nd amendment rights but you don't need a gun on the AT.

2013 Alleged Thru-Hiker Chuckie V's Avatar
    No Fixed Address (Though usually found in CO)

Drive an armored vehicle up the trail; it's much safer. Hire bodyguards. Wear a bullet proof vest and a helmet. Carry mace. And a machete, along with another more easily-accessible knife. Combat boots allow for a nice kick to a perpetrator's groin. Consider a shield.

The point is, life is a risk, and we're all risk-takers the second we're born. Some of us don't want the risk and so they do whatever they can to avoid it. Hiking the AT is a risk, but I doubt it's any riskier than getting to the trail or going shopping or heading to work or school. The isolation scares some of us---what do we do if confronted?---but isolation is a damn good step toward avoiding risk, though we still have to deal with ourselves and our own decisions, which can present risk (more, in the case of some of us).

Take precautions, or hike with others, but don't skip out on the dreams that call; that would be far riskier than anything else you might face!

A gun won't defend you against a gun, if you're not at the ready. I know I'd hate to hike like that, always at the ready! Hiking should be about relaxing the mind, no?

Those risks I worry about: ticks (Lyme), my own stupidity (infinite), hypothermia. I do what I can to mitigate their potential, though the stupidity is a toughie!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I believe in our 2nd amendment rights but you don't need a gun on the AT.
    No, you don't need a gun on the AT.

The 5 thruhikers (yes, I said thru hikers) and 1 long distance section hiker who have been murdered on the AT needed a gun, but you don't.

I am not trying to be sarcastic. I mean this.

There are several states where you will not be able to carry legally, and which have harsh penalties for carrying if you do so illegally.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by rickb
    The 5 thruhikers (yes, I said thru hikers) and 1 long distance section hiker who have been murdered on the AT needed a gun, but you don't.
    I often wonder how many people look at murders on the trail as scary. Go find one of those nice rural towns with a few thousand people, and look at the murders that happened there in the same time.

I carry a gun daily at home, but would never carry one on the AT.

Like was already said, this comes up all the time, and anything you would want to know is in those threads. The gun issue gets a bit heated at times.

Good luck, hope everything works out for your future thru. Using the search on the forums will bring up more info than you would ever need. Get a good base knowledge, and then ask specific questions. That seems to work best here. There are some very experienced and knowledgeable hikers here(not me), but they seem to get frustrated with the same basic questions that have been answered a thousand times.

The greatest danger anyone faces on the trail are themselfs. Poor decisions can lead to injury or death. Often that is a result of pushing one's self too hard, too far, too quick. Keeping one's self safe is simply a matter of using good judgement in dealing with the current weather, terrain, animals and people you encounter at the time.

Can something bad happen to you dispite being careful? Of course, but the chances are pretty slim.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I am not trying to be sarcastic. I mean this.
    Maybe if they knew they were about to be murdered, already had the gun in thier hand and were a good shot, maybe it would have helped. Not knowing the situation or how it went down, it's impossable to say if having a gun would have helped these people or not.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

and the anti-gunners appear, what they don't tell you is they believe there is no place a gun is needed, not just the AT. There are a lot more hikers carrying than one would think, bet

Journal Entries

Amen . The murders and fatal animal attacks on the AT is dwarfed by the lightning strikes, the hypothermia, the illnesses, the frostbite, heat exhaustion , the hunger ect stuff the gun can't fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The greatest danger anyone faces on the trail are themselfs. Poor decisions can lead to injury or death. Often that is a result of pushing one's self too hard, too far, too quick. Keeping one's self safe is simply a matter of using good judgement in dealing with the current weather, terrain, animals and people you encounter at the time.

Can something bad happen to you dispite being careful? Of course, but the chances are pretty slim.

I certainly would not worry about people on the AT being dangerous.

Just my .02.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    and the anti-gunners appear, what they don't tell you is they believe there is no place a gun is needed, not just the AT. There are a lot more hikers carrying than one would think, bet
    it has nothing to do with pro or anti. it's just not necessary.

Images

Wow, almost every post in this thread mentions a gun, he said he was not bringing one and that's not even his question.
    Long Trail 8/12, AT SOBO 2013, https://www.youtube.com/user/Polechar/videos

+1
    Question was simply have you ever been threated or mugged by people, or had any problems with animals.

I would add, if you have experienced or witnessed any of the above, what do you feel were effective or ineffective deterents?
    Is it worth carrying a stick for loose dogs, for example?

Images

I am a concealed carry permit holder that carries a firearm everywhere I go except one place, the Appalachian Trail. My family who knows that I carry on a regular basis always ask me, "you carry your gun with you when you go right?" When I tell them no they are shocked. Like many have said you probably have a much better chance of staying safe on the trail than off it.

I have section hiked almost 1/3 of the trail and have never once felt threatened, even in the least, by another human or animal. I second the individuals statement that the person you need to be concerned about is yourself. Making bad decisions in the wilderness can get you killed.

Thanks to everyone for the input. Like I said I am not going to hike with a gun I just am trying to ease some of the worry that my son has for his "old man"

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb To answer your question

> My question is to anyone who has section hiked or thru-hiked the AT.
    > Have you ever been threatened or mugged on the AT?

I've only done 500 miles on the AT, but in those miles, I have never, EVER, even come close to feeling threatened by any animal, including humans.
    I don't carry a gun when I walk in downtown Philadelphia at night, and I know for an absolute fact that it's more dangerous there than on the Trail.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++