WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Common Touron Sayings?

Hey guys n gals,

I'm looking for some of the common things tourist/morons aka tourons say to thru hikers. You know the same questions you get repeatedly every time you hitch into town for a food resupply or pass an overlook.

For instance, "How many miles a day do you hike?" "What do you eat?" "Can my fat son wear you backpack and hold your trekking poles so I can take a picture of him?"

I'm compiling a list for a short story I'm working on. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Images

"How many miles a day do you hike?" "What do you eat?"
    you mean just like the questions asked on WB ?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Carol Moore, a 1998 thruhiker, designed the "Official AT Answers T Shirt" to be worn by thruhikers when they meet regular people. The answers were:

1. 15-20 miles a day
    2. yes, i've seen bears
    3. mac & cheese
    4. 50 Lbs or so
    5. in a tent
    6. 4-6 months
    7. over 2000 miles
    8. yes, i walked here

I had one but its long since bit the dust.

Images

How does asking "How many miles a day do you hike?" or "What do you eat?" make one a moron?

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    How does asking "How many miles a day do you hike?" or "What do you eat?" make one a moron?

Rain Man

I was going to ask that. I have had thru hikers ask me those same questions.

Of course I am just a lowly weekend section hiker/touron

The Tourons are the ones who believe you when they ask "Did you have to carry your food all the way from Georgia?" and you say "Yes I did"

Images

I always liked how do you carry enough food for five months?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Rain Man

In my experience it is the way the question is phrased that makes all the difference. I've had plenty of people ask what I eat, most were just curious about what makes a good trail food. However from the way the questions were asked, it was clear that a number of them believed I was hunting and foraging for all my food.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Are you a thru hiker?
    But you haven't actually thru hiked???

Images

What's that smell? The smell of death's around you, What's that smell?
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Garlic
    Images

"But what do you do when it rains?"
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

1) are you by yourself?
    2) what about bears?
    3) are you carrying a gun?
    4) are you carrying your food?
    5) how many pairs of shoes?
    6) how can you affordit?

Most of these aren't stupid questions but I would answerthesequestions on my shirt.

Images

Condescension because people don't enjoy the outdoors the same as you, or because they genuinely interested and ask questions to acquire knowledge? No thanks.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

In 2009 I started a thru hike .... I had never ever backpacked before, I had all the wrong gear and clothing. I had started growing my beard 2 weeks before I started the trail. On my second day hiking I was asked many of the same questions that have already been mentioned because the day hikers thought I was an expert just because I looked the part ... I look back on it now and I think many of my answers were as stupid as the questions so we were evenly matched...
    Old Man River
    "the legs feed the wolf gentlemen, the legs feed the wolf" from the movie "Miracle"

Lighten up, folks. Just because you are a thru-hiker doesn't make you a superior being. Not everyone is into long-distance hiking. Why not take the attitude that you can educate people you meet up with and maybe get them interested in learning more?

But Chris ..... you are a professional Touron are you not?

Derrick

Rain Man

Perhaps if I asked the question .....
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    "How many miles a day do you hike?" "What do you eat?"
    you mean just like the questions asked on WB ?
    Lol, well said KK. Thread drift acknowledged, I honestly don't know how some of you WB veterans show so much patience for the inexperienced people that get on here and just blurt out the same old questions. Questions about BASIC info that could easily be found by searching threads or just doing some honest research on the plethora of internet sites available.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by treesloth View Post
    Lol, well said KK. Thread drift acknowledged, I honestly don't know how some of you WB veterans show so much patience for the inexperienced people that get on here and just blurt out the same old questions. Questions about BASIC info that could easily be found by searching threads or just doing some honest research on the plethora of internet sites available.
    There's no point in a discussion forum without discussion. Those that want people to search are just sitting idly on their hands instead of creating a wiki with all their wonderful wisdom and the answers to frequently asked questions. So ask away. It's what we're here for.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    There's no point in a discussion forum without discussion. Those that want people to search are just sitting idly on their hands instead of creating a wiki with all their wonderful wisdom and the answers to frequently asked questions. So ask away. It's what we're here for.
    +1 on that. Yes the question has been asked before. Yes people answer it time and time. However, eventually a new opinion comes in that changes everything. This happened to me recently while reading the umpteen millionth bear questions threads. Someone posted a 97 minute video (sorry forgot OP) that changed my "set in stone" opinion. And no, I ain't bringing up the opinion and starting another fight. Point is, if don't like the topic, stay away from it. There are certain topics I read every opinion on and hope for further threads on.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++