WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    is that the same guy who came on here to proclaim that the reason why the trails in the whites are so difficult is because the AMC hasnt done any maintenance work on them in decades? i enjoyed that guy.
    That's the guy! He also said that if the AMC wanted to see the way the trail should look, they should check out the AT in the South. Ya, that guy!

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I would say a Touron is someone who leaves trash in the shelter or bear box, expecting the park service (or anyone except himself) to clean up after him.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    That's the guy! He also said that if the AMC wanted to see the way the trail should look, they should check out the AT in the South. Ya, that guy!
    i think a sub chapter in one of these books, if not a whole book in itself, should be "dumb things hikers who never leave the AT corridor have said about the whites"

i know not from personal experience but i imagine another one could be done focusing on the smokies.

i think a sub chapter in one of these books, if not a whole book in itself, should be "dumb things hikers who never leave the AT corridor have said about the whites"

i know not from personal experience but i imagine another one could be done focusing on the smokies.
    The AT in both is over used and too crowded, and I have no desire to hike them again.

But you are right, both are wonderful places full of alternate trails and I've been back to both for that reason.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    The AT in both is over used and too crowded, and I have no desire to hike them again.

But you are right, both are wonderful places full of alternate trails and I've been back to both for that reason.
    actually, the dumb things AT hikers say about the whites stems largely from the fact that most people who are hiking the whites are in fact not on the AT at all, except maybe by coincidence. AT hikers think the AT is the be all end of all of all things hiking, which in a place like the whites is laughably untrue to anyone without tunnel vision.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Last edited by 10-K; 02-20-2013 at 11:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    The Tourons are the ones who believe you when they ask "Did you have to carry your food all the way from Georgia?" and you say "Yes I did"
    You're supposed to say "No, I use my knife to hunt bears along the trail. Bears are good eatin' uh huh."
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Damn I gotta be fast these days to read what you are thinking.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Damn I gotta be fast these days to read what you are thinking.

I have this nasty habit of engaging my fingers before my brain....

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    1) are you by yourself?
    2) what about bears?
    3) are you carrying a gun?
    4) are you carrying your food?
    5) how many pairs of shoes?
    6) how can you affordit?

Most of these aren't stupid questions but I would answerthesequestions on my shirt.
    Why would you let anyone think that you are alone & unarmed?

1) are you by yourself? answer - should be NO (even if you are alone, because you are never really alone)
    3) are you carrying a gun? answer - perhaps I am (I like others to think I might have a gun even if I do not)

Quote Originally Posted by cleanshave View Post
    As far as condescending? It was in no way meant to be condescending.
    I'm looking for some of the common things tourist/morons aka tourons say to thru hikers. You know the same questions you get repeatedly every time you hitch into town for a food resupply or pass an overlook.
    Gee, I don't know how anyone got the wrong impression and thought that you were being even the slightest bit condescending. All you did was refer to the nice people who are giving a ride into town as "tourist MORONS". Don't most people consider being called a "moron" one of the highest compliments that a person can receive? I thought you were being particularly complimentary when you wrote this quote: "Can my fat son wear your backpack and hold your trekking poles so I can take a picture of him?" . Why would ANYONE consider a reference to a moron's "fat son" as being condescending?
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Son Driven View Post
    Why would you let anyone think that you are alone & unarmed?

1) are you by yourself? answer - should be NO (even if you are alone, because you are never really alone)
    3) are you carrying a gun? answer - perhaps I am (I like others to think I might have a gun even if I do not)
    On the gun thing, you need to be careful on that one. Having a gun can make you a target for theft, so you need to be as obtuse as possible. "Perhaps I am" is just about the same as "I am". I think a better approach is just to say "the trail is a pretty safe place" and leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    "Perhaps I am" is just about the same as "I am". I think a better approach is just to say "the trail is a pretty safe place" and leave it at that.
    With that logic, "the trail is a pretty safe place" is just about the same as "I am not".

IMO "perhaps", "maybe", "sometimes", are all good answers.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by prain4u View Post
    Gee, I don't know how anyone got the wrong impression and thought that you were being even the slightest bit condescending. All you did was refer to the nice people who are giving a ride into town as "tourist MORONS". Don't most people consider being called a "moron" one of the highest compliments that a person can receive? I thought you were being particularly complimentary when you wrote this quote: "Can my fat son wear your backpack and hold your trekking poles so I can take a picture of him?" . Why would ANYONE consider a reference to a moron's "fat son" as being condescending?
    Careful. You are bringing logic into the debate. Besides, isn't it standard practice to judge others by their actions and yourself by your intent. "Every way of a man is right in his own eyes."
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Careful. You are bringing logic into the debate. Besides, isn't it standard practice to judge others by their actions and yourself by your intent. "Every way of a man is right in his own eyes."
    Logic? Common Sense? What is that? Besides, isn't it standard practice to judge others by their actions and yourself by your intent. "Every way of a man is right in his own eyes." Yes, Sir!

actually, the dumb things AT hikers say about the whites stems largely from the fact that most people who are hiking the whites are in fact not on the AT at all, except maybe by coincidence. AT hikers think the AT is the be all end of all of all things hiking, which in a place like the whites is laughably untrue to anyone without tunnel vision.
    Here's one of my favorite exchanges I had.
    Thru Hiker: (heading toward the Bonds in the completely wrong direction) Is this the AT?
    Me: No, for northbound, you want to back track about a mile and a half and go right on the Twinway.
    Thru Hiker: (dripping with sarcasm) Da, I said A.T., not Twin. Way.
    Me: The AT is the same trail as the Twinway for a section of it. The AT through all of New Hampshire utilizes preexisting trails with preexisting names. You need to pay close attention to trail signs, and you should carry a map.
    Thru hiker: I've managed to get here all the way from Georgia without a map. Why the hell should I have to buy one now.
    Me: In that case, why don't you just continue straight ahead. You obviously know where you're going.

Thru Hiker: (heading toward the Bonds in the completely wrong direction) Is this the AT?
    Me: No, for northbound, you want to back track about a mile and a half and go right on the Twinway.
    Me: The AT is the same trail as the Twinway for a section of it. The AT through all of New Hampshire utilizes preexisting trails with preexisting names. You need to pay close attention to trail signs, and you should carry a map.
    Thru hiker: I've managed to get here all the way from Georgia without a map. Why the hell should I have to buy one now.
    Me: In that case, why don't you just continue straight ahead. You obviously know where you're going.

Images

Hey guys n gals,

I'm looking for some of the common things tourist/morons aka tourons say to thru hikers. You know the same questions you get repeatedly every time you hitch into town for a food resupply or pass an overlook.

For instance, "How many miles a day do you hike?" "What do you eat?" "Can my fat son wear you backpack and hold your trekking poles so I can take a picture of him?"

I'm compiling a list for a short story I'm working on. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
    Actually, the dumbest things I've ever heard, or read, while on the AT all came from the mouths of hikers! Your question is a classic example of that!
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Images

my favorite is a much more subtle but illuminating and oft repeated one- any conversation about lakes of the clouds and it's distance from pinkham notch. if you say 14.9 miles, youre a clueless AT hiker, if you say 4.6 miles, youre correct.

an example of this conversation goes something like this. two hikers meet in pinkham notch-

"where are you headed?"

"lakes of the clouds."

"and youre leaving now?!?! (this conversation takes place at around 2 or 3pm) it nearly 15 miles! youll never make it!!!!"

AT hikers think the only way to get anywhere in the whites is by following the AT, which, as your story illuminates, doesnt really even exist in the whites.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++