WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How do you buy small quantities of things that normally come in bulk?

For instance freezer bags, or toilet paper... I'll probably only want one roll, and they usually come in at least packs of 4.

Or even food. Let's say I only want a few ounces of olive oil, not a whole bottle.

Do stores along the trail cater to that sort of thing? Or do you just end up going in with people on stuff, or just giving the excess away?

I'm assuming it's pretty straightforward once you get there and see how everyone else is doing things. I've never been on the trail and all my stuff is totally ready to go, so I have nothing to do for the next few weeks but get excited and wonder about all the minor little details : )

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jetpack View Post
    For instance freezer bags, or toilet paper... I'll probably only want one roll, and they usually come in at least packs of 4.

Or even food. Let's say I only want a few ounces of olive oil, not a whole bottle.

Do stores along the trail cater to that sort of thing? Or do you just end up going in with people on stuff, or just giving the excess away?

I'm assuming it's pretty straightforward once you get there and see how everyone else is doing things. I've never been on the trail and all my stuff is totally ready to go, so I have nothing to do for the next few weeks but get excited and wonder about all the minor little details : )
    if you're planning a thru, think mail drops.if not, save the rest for future trips. olive oil takes a long long time to go bad and is available in small bottles at most groceries.
    and tp? its almost always available in single rolls.

Make friends along the trail and split the "giant economy size" packages of toilet paper, cereal, and other necessities. Save money. Offer to split the cost with hikers you've just met. Make more friends.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

You can go grocery shopping with someone and chip in some bucks for what you want.

Oh.. Tinker beat me to it.

Check out the Minimus website.

In the beginning I definitely split stuff up with others but by the end I just carried it all because eventually I was going to use it anyways and those items are usually very light anyways.

Images

Use a bounce box to mail extra ahead to yourself at limited resupply points.

most Targets have a section for travel sized everything. single pack razors, TP, toothpaste etc. Id suspect most drug stores have it too, and most outfitters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetpack View Post

TP is sold in single rolls even at some convenience stores. I don't see a problem with taking some napkins from a McDonalds. Olive Oil is sold in packets in about a 10 quantity. If you go into Family Dollar, Dollar General, maybe some Wally Worlds you'll find Pompei brand Olive Oil in 3-4 oz bottles. Baggies are sometimes(often?) found in hiker boxes or a few can often be had for the asking at hostels. I but lots of foods(oatmeal, nuts, seeds, dehydrated soup mixes, protein powders, coconut flakes, TVP, dried fruits, etc from grocery stores selling in bulk. You buy just the amount you need. You can also team up with other hikers to share stuff. Makes it cheaper and less wasteful. I don't like carrying excess on the trail(I don't) and I don't like throwing stuff away that I've paid for which sometimes has had me offering stuff to non-hikers in parking lots. Sometimes folks gladly take what I'm freely offering and at other times it's like trying to give away a Bible to a hardcore Atheist. Don't expect all those above services, items, and opportunities at every AT town stop though!

Default How do you buy small quantities of things that normally come in bulk?

Or better yet, experiment. Blue Scott shop towels, lint free, smooth texture, have a myriad of uses, and are widely available.

You won't need toilet paper...most of the shelters have a smooth log next to the privy for this purpose...its a little tough getting used to, but after awhile you just learn to slide down it.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Instead of toilet paper bring tweezers and a mirror to help with you with Bronk's suggestion You could just ask a friend to pull the splinters but...

Here's a bulleted list organizing what's been said:

1. Mail drops/bump box - I like the bump for supplies since you can take what you need and forward on without having to estimate what you need in drops. To each their own.
    2. Split purchases with friends/acquaintances/complete strangers on the trail (who will become your friend) - Others are in the same boat as you. Find some to share the wealth.
    3. Buck up and carry it - And, while you're at it, buy in bulk - it's cheaper. Why get only 1 roll when you get 10 with 2 bonus rolls! Just kidding. Smaller sizes of many products make this a feasible approach in some cases.
    4. Check hiker boxes, ask at hostels, bum some off fast food joints

As always, try to use one item for a multitude of uses to get more out of it. Gallon ziplocs make great dry bags, food storage pouches, wet sacks, trash bags. Whatever you decide, you'll find what works for you on the trail and it will become old hat. Don't sweat it
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    You won't need toilet paper...most of the shelters have a smooth log next to the privy for this purpose...its a little tough getting used to, but after awhile you just learn to slide down it.
    (first you need to pull the nails out).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

++ New Posts ++