WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Cuben Fiber Tarps by Hammock Gear

Hey Folks,
    I am thinking of taking the plunge and purchasing Cuben fiber tarps for my wife and I to use with our hammocks. I don't know much about Cuben fiber except that it seems to be incredibly expensive. I am looking at the Winter Palace model by Hammock Gear. The weight savings is big (11oz.) compared to the WB super fly that we currently use. but I have a couple of questions I need help with before I make the leap. Thanks for any help and info.
    1. Does anyone have experience with this particular tarp (winter palace) or with Hammock Gear products and how has that experience been?
    2. What is the durability of Cuben fiber versus sil nylon?
    3. Can I stuff a Cuben fiber tarp into my stuff sack just like I currently do with the sil nylon tarp or does it have to be packed and compressed differently?

Hope these are not dumb questions, I'm just trying to learn!

Images

2. very durable. my z-pack is on third year.
    3. yes, i just stuff it like i did my superfly.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

1. Does anyone have experience with this particular tarp (winter palace) or with Hammock Gear products and how has that experience been?
    Very nice. I got mine to lighten the load. My Hammockgear Winter Palace (12ft ridgeline) weighs in a 8oz. One of the nice things about cuben is that it is translucent so you can see the stars ect at night.

2. What is the durability of Cuben fiber versus sil nylon?
    Very durable but like any tarp it can tear under the proper conditions, cut it with knife, tree limb falls on it ect.

3. Can I stuff a Cuben fiber tarp into my stuff sack just like I currently do with the sil nylon tarp or does it have to be packed and compressed differently?
    You can fold it or stuff it. I fold mine. Also I find that the cuben does not compress as small as a sylnylon tarp. Not a big difference but a difference.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

1. I have UQs, a TQ and Cuben Tarp with doors all from HG. Top quality workmanship IMHO. I used my Cuben Tarp for a recent winter trip and it worked great.

2. Cuben seems pretty tough and doesn't stretch like sil nylon. I'm definitely a convert.

3. I stuff mine into a Cuben Tarp sack from ZPacks, but it takes some "softening" to get it to stuff well. When its new it is kind if stiff and doesnt have creases yet. After stuffing a few times it gets softer. It doesn't compress as small when stuffed vs. folding

I highly recommend Cuben Fiber anything now, it's definitely the future of tarps. And HG is a good choice. Expensive but worth it with the weight savings.

I'm anxious for mine to get shipped to me. I went with a 12' hex with doors, I called h.g. and picked Adam's brain about getting doors or not before I did. He'd be a good guy to talk to.

Winter palace seems overload. I wouldn't have gotten doors if my homemade hammock wasn't overly huge. Just my opinion.

I have a question for you Cuben guys/girls.Can you use the snake skins with the Cuben??
    I walk up hills,and then walk down

Quote Originally Posted by rjjones View Post
    I have a question for you Cuben guys/girls.Can you use the snake skins with the Cuben??
    The answer is yes. I got mine from Wilderness Logics made out of no see um netting. I contacted Hammock Gear and asked which to use: no see um netting or sinylon and was told either one. Since it came nicely folded, I wanted to make sure It was ok to put them in skins.

They make a good quality product (I got the standard with doors). I also tried out the Warbonet Superfly. I sent it back because of the weight difference. But Brandon at Warbonet makes a good product too. I only wish the carbon fiber tarp would compress more like the superfly because it is more bulky, yet lighter.

Good luck on your decision.

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
    From where shall my help come?
    My help comes from the LORD,
    Who made heaven and earth."
    -Psalm 121:1-2

I have had the pleasure of dealing with hammock gear twice now ,once when i bought the 4 season cat cut cuban in the 10 foot 10inch size,once with the 12 foot ridge line for my ridge runner. On both tarps i was happy. The durabilty test is good ,im 212 right now ,and fell on my tarp last hang with enough force to break the metal ring holding the ridge line. The cuban didnt tear the metal broke,I was a believer from that point on. I will say in my own defence their was a mouse in my pack chewing on my oatmeal ,and i tripped coming out. The color is the bad part for me its very visable,but Adam does have a new camo cuban id ask for that.

Cuban weak point is if something rubs up against it in the same way alot it will damage the tarp,so ridge lines that run under the tarp should be switched to a ridge line that doesnt touch the tarp. Two lines on the ends of the tarp works well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairbear View Post
    Cuban weak point is if something rubs up against it in the same way alot it will damage the tarp,so ridge lines that run under the tarp should be switched to a ridge line that doesnt touch the tarp. Two lines on the ends of the tarp works well for me.
    Hum... just about ready to call it a night... Hi Hairbear. That cuban fiber is interesting stuff... had the opportunity to see it & feel it for the first time this fall. Sounds like it's getting rave reviews from y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Hum... just about ready to call it a night... Hi Hairbear. That cuban fiber is interesting stuff... had the opportunity to see it & feel it for the first time this fall. Sounds like it's getting rave reviews from y'all.
    Hi K D hope things are well with you. Now back to cuban fiber. The full moon is amazing from under them.

I love my HG CF tarp! Can't beat the craftsmanship or the weight! One positive is its translucency ! A negative is the translucency! Doesn't provide a lot of privacy!

Images

Great info. Thank all of you very much! Does anyone have a contact telephone number for Hammock Gear? I didn't see one on their website.

Images

Does anyone have a contact telephone number for Hammock Gear? I didn't see one on their website
    Look under contact at bottom of home page for phone # and address
    Hammock Hanger by choice

www.neusioktrail.org

Images

Gunner,
    Thanks, I got it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nu2hike View Post
    I love my HG CF tarp! Can't beat the craftsmanship or the weight! One positive is its translucency ! A negative is the translucency! Doesn't provide a lot of privacy!
    it is nice to see the stars at night but the sun can peak in on you early in the morning. My gf hated that so we sold her tarp. I still have mine but not sure for how long.
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

I'll keep my cuben tarp as I don't mind being a bit "enlightened" in the AM and since it is half the weight of a silnylon tarp.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

www.neusioktrail.org

I've got a WB big mamajama.Like it a lot and love the eaze of the skins.But the weight of the Cuban???Cant beat it.Would hate to loose the eaze of the skins though.I've delt with Brandon before{two quilts}.Great products and a great guy to deal with.VERY helpfull.Now to start saving.
    I walk up hills,and then walk down

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rjjones View Post
    I've got a WB big mamajama.Like it a lot and love the eaze of the skins.But the weight of the Cuban???Cant beat it.Would hate to loose the eaze of the skins though.I've delt with Brandon before{two quilts}.Great products and a great guy to deal with.VERY helpfull.Now to start saving.
    why couldn't you put skins on cuben tarp?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Lots of cuben tarp users have mosquito net skins. I am using 3 Dutch hooks lark headed to the ridge line. Not as fast but it comes with a nice bishop bag so I like to use it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++