WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Any bad towns?

Images

Trail towns are what you make them. Would you go into your local grocery store without cleaning up for a week & act like you are entitled. All it takes is one bad apple. Don't let it be you for the sake of yourself & the hikers behind you.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I had no issue in Kent on my SOBO except for the nasty PO guy. I can't recall a bad town per say, really.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Boiling Springs Pa was not friendly at all. You can tell by a close look at the backpacker campground they provide that they want you to keep going. Not even one picnic table and a very nasty portable crapper, and could they get it any closer to the train tracks? No good.

I gotta agree Boiling Springs was not a great town. They cater to a more upscale tourist crowd there.

The re-route through and along farmer's fields wasn't a good idea and I think pissed off a lot of the locals there. At about 4 AM we realised there was no way we were going to get any sleep at the backpackers campground after the 4th mile long fright train with ear splittingly loud screaching wheels came by, so we packed up and headed out. Just as well, as it was going to be a blistering hot day.

Years ago it was recommended to stay away from Erwin. I ended up visting anyway in '88 to get out of a late season snow storm and found it to be friendly. Now it's a must stop place.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Thanks for all the help!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    No such thing as a "bad town". I think the respect you get is equal to the respect you give. Nothing wrong with Kent, had a great supper with about 10 other thrus at a large restaurant, and a great breakfast with one other thru at a small restaurant the next morning.
    I agree with that, stayed there with Jim & Ellie Burns for two weeks and met a lot of famous folk of the time. Jim and his wife Ellie are long gone from this earth....I love that town.

When you go into these quaint villages that are scattered along the trail then by all means just go in there and act like you belong. Do not act like you are lower or higher than any of them folk and most likely you will have a good time....just live life with them....

I found best for many towns to just resupply and get back on the trail in the same day unless they are the friendliest town on the AT or Hot Springs or Pearisburg. I spend too much money while in town. Wish someone had a portable hot shower mobile that followed thru-hikers along the AT.

Images

Ya our plan is to only resupply in most of these towns, we don't plan on staying overnight but a few times. I read about free hot showers at the visitor center of the park at a dam...somewhere in the south, can't remember now.

Journal Entries
    Images

You folks are going to get Kent Lady back on here and she will straighten you out!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    Boiling Springs Pa was not friendly at all. You can tell by a close look at the backpacker campground they provide that they want you to keep going. Not even one picnic table and a very nasty portable crapper, and could they get it any closer to the train tracks? No good.
    I've never been to Boiling Springs so I can't comment specifically, however, they provide a camping area and a porta potty? They didn't have to provide anything.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

The secret to staying in Erwin is to stay at the Super 8 so you can walk everywhere.

If you stay at Uncle Johnny's or the Holiday Inn you'll be too far away from everything. From the Super 8 you can walk everywhere easily.

Getting a ride into and out of town back to the trail is almost an automatic. If you're wearing a pack all you have to do is stick out your thumb and you'll have a ride within a few minutes. Even in the rain. With a dog.

On a section hike 2 years ago, I camped at the hikers' campsite outside Boiling Springs and had no problems. Locals I talked to were friendly - in fact, one gave me good directions to the campsite.

My guess is that any negativity in Boiling Springs stems from lingering resentment when the Trail was re-routed through the Cumberland Valley. I believe it's been at least 20 years now but quite contentious at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    The secret to staying in Erwin is to stay at the Super 8 so you can walk everywhere.

If you stay at Uncle Johnny's or the Holiday Inn you'll be too far away from everything. From the Super 8 you can walk everywhere easily.

Getting a ride into and out of town back to the trail is almost an automatic. If you're wearing a pack all you have to do is stick out your thumb and you'll have a ride within a few minutes. Even in the rain. With a dog.
    Also in Erwin, the Best Southern Motel was close to everything, they gave me a hiker rate and shuttled me back to the Trail.
    Last edited by Cookerhiker; 02-19-2013 at 15:58.

Quote Originally Posted by jacob_springsteen View Post
    Wish someone had a portable hot shower mobile that followed thru-hikers along the AT.
    May as well add a massage and foot rub, along with portable laundry, ice cold draft beer and a deluxe cheeseburger with fries!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    May as well add a massage and foot rub, along with portable laundry, ice cold draft beer and a deluxe cheeseburger with fries!
    Now you're cutting into Warren Doyle's turf

Default Any bad towns?

The Cafe 101 in Boiling Springs had a great hiker breakfast. They were very accommodating However we received a few looks from the locals but we out numbered them. Their clean smell was overwhelming! The fly fishermen on the tinny steam at the entry of children's lake looked at us as lepers. Our cheerful good morning was not received very well

Images

I would say Gatlinburg (in some areas of the town). I love Gatlinburg for a good vacation spot but don't enjoy stopping through there on the trail. Since there are so many tourists many of them just think you're hillbillies and have no idea what a thru-hiker is (or what the AT is for that matter)! I first heard this when I read Bryson's book, but after hiking through, I totally agree!
    If a tree falls in the woods, be there to hear it.

Images

It's all luck and who you meet. Any town can be bad if you meet the wrong people. I would say the worst vibe I got was in Kent, but it wasn't a bad town, just not as great as all the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by jacob_springsteen View Post
    Wish someone had a portable hot shower mobile that followed thru-hikers along the AT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I don't think the EPA would allow that much concentrated funk to be released into a sewer system.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Kent, Connecticut has that reputation.
    No offend, Rasty,
    let me defend Kent.
    First - when I was at Post Office (thru-hike 2012), two different people offered me ride to the trailhead. It happened in fife - ten minutes apart.
    Second - Kent has the best chocolate cafe.
    By my nature, I don't like moochers on the trail, and sometimes expressing that out loud, I never have the bad experience in towns along AT, ever. And I hiked AT twice.
    My conclusion: If somebody comes to someone else's yard, he (she) have to play by the rules of the yard, or at least respect them. And, guys, we are only guests. Just remember that and wish to everybody be self-critical. To myself - too.

Harpers Ferry is a bad town to resupply. Choose between a little outfitter or a 7/11 either store is expensive. Locals know to walk to Brunswick or Shepherdstown for food.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++